News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

All sculpting stuff from Charavoitau - Hemicyclaspis Mark II added.

Started by Charavoitau, July 09, 2018, 10:33:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charavoitau

Anyways, I made a new fish, a pituriaspis! So far we have only its head shield, which leaves a lot to interpretation. Unfortunately, I accidentaly sculpted it out of proportion, too fat and too short. In Russia they have a saying "The first pancake is a lump", well, I think for me the first "pancake" is a pancake, and the rest are lumps. Oh well, practice, practice and practice!
https://flic.kr/p/28WBVHD
Pituriaspis by Bloody Гэбня, on Flickr
https://flic.kr/p/KhFprt
https://flic.kr/p/LNYEJb
https://flic.kr/p/28WBWet
Pituriaspis by Bloody Гэбня,

A cute little tiktaalik clambering onto land and turning his head, observing curiously
The snout is too wide. Otherwise, I think it's ok anatomy-wise.

The newest fine addition to my collection, the cephalaspis.

Some of ye might remember my "debut" on this forum, the hemicyclaspis. Since then I have made a few more figures, with varying levels of cringe and decency, and looking back on it now, my first figure was not good, to say the least and not fall into profanity. That is why I decided to finish my summer paleo-art with the same creature I started with. I present you with a new and improved hemicyclaspis!
I am aware some here don't particularly like the combination of the neon yellow and blue, but I couldn't help myself and used it again, I just love it.

Please critique and note my mistakes that I have not noticed.

DinoToyForum

Nice model! I fixed the images for you. :)

Halichoeres

It looks good! Since you ask for critiques, I might have made the pits (probably sensory) below and in front of the eyes a little bit more prominent. As you point out, the body would likely have been somewhat longer. But this is a recognizable representation, for sure. Keep it up!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Charavoitau

Charavoitau

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 09, 2018, 08:00:40 PM
It looks good! Since you ask for critiques, I might have made the pits (probably sensory) below and in front of the eyes a little bit more prominent. As you point out, the body would likely have been somewhat longer. But this is a recognizable representation, for sure. Keep it up!

Thanks! Somehow, I was not aware of those pits until the last moment, when I was already baking it. I did not have much reference materials to go from, and I sculpted the eyes themselves totally wrong. The good thing is, I learned. Once again, thanks!

Lone Trike

Hey, another sculptor! Greetings :)) Unfortunately my knowledge of Paleozoic fish is quite limited, so I can´t be much of a help here. But keep up the work, dude! Like you said, everything comes down to practice.
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Charavoitau

Quote from: Lone Trike on July 11, 2018, 05:12:56 PM
Hey, another sculptor! Greetings :)) Unfortunately my knowledge of Paleozoic fish is quite limited, so I can´t be much of a help here. But keep up the work, dude! Like you said, everything comes down to practice.

Thank you very much!

Charavoitau

A cute little tiktaalik clambering onto land and turning his head, observing curiously
The snout is too wide. Otherwise, I think it's ok anatomy-wise.

Jose S.M.

It's very cute! I like the colors. The base looks very detailed too.

Charavoitau

Quote from: Jose S.M. on July 14, 2018, 12:28:34 PM
It's very cute! I like the colors. The base looks very detailed too.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback!

Charavoitau

The newest fine addition to my collection, the cephalaspis.

Jose S.M.

Nice sculpt! And the base is nice as well. Very good job.

Charavoitau

Charavoitau

Some of ye might remember my "debut" on this forum, the hemicyclaspis. Since then I have made a few more figures, with varying levels of cringe and decency, and looking back on it now, my first figure was not good, to say the least and not fall into profanity. That is why I decided to finish my summer paleo-art with the same creature I started with. I present you with a new and improved hemicyclaspis!
I am aware some here don't particularly like the combination of the neon yellow and blue, but I couldn't help myself and used it again, I just love it.

Jose S.M.

Great job. It's a big improvement over the original. I like the paint scheme and the base.

Halichoeres

It is a definite improvement! Are those tube worms on the near side of the base?
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Charavoitau

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 28, 2018, 08:00:32 PM
It is a definite improvement! Are those tube worms on the near side of the base?
Thanks. They certainly are worms, but I suppose I can leave the species to the viewer's imagination.

Charavoitau

Quote from: Jose S.M. on August 27, 2018, 12:29:23 PM
Great job. It's a big improvement over the original. I like the paint scheme and the base.
Thank you very much.

Lizerd

If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Bokisaurus

I like the latest version a lot, you can see the vast improvement . I also love the color blue, so I'm liking this color on this guy.
Your base for it also looks beautiful. Great job, keep on making figures and you will see how quickly you will improve.
I'm glad you kept your originals, I made the mistake of throwing my first few ones when I first started.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.