News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 dromaeosaurid and troodontid toys [Complete]

Started by Sim, July 23, 2018, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favourite toys of dromaeosaurids and troodontids?

Battat Utahraptor
24 (38.1%)
Bullyland Deinonychus
5 (7.9%)
Carnegie Deinonychus
5 (7.9%)
Carnegie Microraptor
21 (33.3%)
Carnegie Velociraptor (2015)
25 (39.7%)
Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor
11 (17.5%)
Favorite soft model Deinonychus
9 (14.3%)
Favorite soft model Velociraptor
8 (12.7%)
Invicta Stenonychosaurus
10 (15.9%)
Kabaya Deinonychus
7 (11.1%)
Kaiyodo Dinotales Deinonychus
12 (19%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Utahraptor
6 (9.5%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (electronic)
4 (6.3%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (non-electronic)
8 (12.7%)
Kenner The Lost World Velociraptor (cyclops)
4 (6.3%)
Mattel Jurassic World Velociraptor "Blue" (battle damage)
5 (7.9%)
Papo Velociraptor (feathered)
23 (36.5%)
Papo Velociraptor (without feathers)
11 (17.5%)
PNSO "Seven Little Dinosaurs" Microraptor
20 (31.7%)
Primeval raptor
4 (6.3%)
Resaurus Deinonychus
8 (12.7%)
Resaurus Velociraptor
6 (9.5%)
Safari Authentics Velociraptor
3 (4.8%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Microraptor
6 (9.5%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Sinornithosaurus
11 (17.5%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Velociraptor
5 (7.9%)
Safari Velociraptor by Greg Wenzel (large)
11 (17.5%)
Wild Safari Microraptor
34 (54%)
Wild Safari Velociraptor (feathered)
53 (84.1%)
Sega Dinosaur King Deinonychus
2 (3.2%)
Toyway Walking With Dinosaurs Utahraptor
14 (22.2%)
Tyco Deinonychus
3 (4.8%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Hesperonychus
9 (14.3%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Troodon
10 (15.9%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs Troodon (action figure)
10 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

Sim

In this post I'll keep a shortlist of the figures that will go into the poll.  I'll start it with the Wild Safari feathered Velociraptor and Microraptor, and figures from the Safari Feathered Dinos Toob, and I'll add suggestions.  Only suggest something if you're thinking of voting for it though!  After two weeks, I'll create the poll using the shortlist in this thread. :)

Shortlist:

Battat
Utahraptor

Bullyland
Deinonychus

Carnegie Collection
Deinonychus
Microraptor
Velociraptor (2015)

Dinosaurs in the Wild
Dakotaraptor

Favorite
Soft model Deinonychus
Soft model Velociraptor

Invicta
Stenonychosaurus

Kabaya
Deinonychus

Kaiyodo
Dinotales Deinonychus

Kenner
Jurassic Park Utahraptor
Jurassic Park Velociraptor (electronic)
Jurassic Park Velociraptor (non-electronic)
The Lost World Velociraptor (cyclops)

Mattel
Jurassic World Velociraptor "Blue" (battle damage)

Papo
Velociraptor (feathered)
Velociraptor (without feathers)

PNSO
"Seven Little Dinosaurs" Microraptor

Primeval
Raptor

Resaurus
Deinonychus
Velociraptor

Safari
Authentics Velociraptor
Feathered Dinos Toob Microraptor
Feathered Dinos Toob Sinornithosaurus
Feathered Dinos Toob Velociraptor
Velociraptor by Greg Wenzel (large)
Wild Safari Microraptor
Wild Safari Velociraptor (feathered)

Sega
Dinosaur King Deinonychus

Toyway
Walking With Dinosaurs Utahraptor

Tyco
Deinonychus

Vivid
Walking With Dinosaurs mini Hesperonychus
Walking With Dinosaurs mini Troodon
Walking With Dinosaurs Troodon (action figure)

Gwangi

I would suggest (and vote for many of) the following. This poll with be a tough one.

Deinonychus
Bullyland
Carnegie Trio
Kabaya
Kaiyodo Dinotales Series 2
Favorite Soft Model
Tyco
Rebor Trio (Cerberus Clan)

Microraptor
Carnegie

Utahraptor
Battat
Walking With Dinosaurs by Toyway

Velociraptor
Papo Feathered
Papo Without feathers
Carnegie 2015
Jurassic Park Electronic by Kenner
Jurassic Park non-electronic by Kenner
Soft Model by Favorite

This guy by Safari

DinoToyForum

Thanks for leading this, Sim.  8)

This is going to be difficult, I'm going to be split between nostalgia and accuracy!

Invicta Troodon/Stenonychosaurus should probably go on the list.

Simon

RESAURUS - Velociraptor and Deinonychus need to be added to this list.  They were awesome.  The awesomest pre-feather dromaeosaur action figures.

PRIMEVAL (UK TV Series).  Raptor  That one is also awesome. 

I actually kept all three of those figures and plan to use all of them in a large diorama at some point in the future ...

Faelrin

While I'm sure most of my votes will go towards the more scientifically accurate representations such as the BotM line, and Safari Ltd's feathered Velociraptor figure, I still have an interest in the now retro depictions of these creatures as well, mostly thanks to growing up with Jurassic Park, but because there's also some solid figures offered with these types of depictions (even if they are JP clones in most cases).

Some of my favorites (outside of the BotM figures, and Safari Lt'ds feathered Velociraptor) have to include Papo's classic JP raptor and their feathered Velociraptor, Rebor's Deinonychus/Cerberus Clan, and even their JP styled raptors (although I wouldn't really be able to pick one per se to offer as a contender for this poll). I actually really like my Mattel Battle Damage Blue figure, if only because the articulation is pretty fun for how small it is, and that it nails the JP style pretty well. I'd also second Kenner's JP toys (at least the non electronic Velociraptor, if for the nostalgic factor, and maybe the Utahraptor).

I'd probably second the Resaurus ones, and the Dino-Riders Deinonychus as well, though I never had any of these toys.

It will be tough pickings for me in the end though since I really do love dromaeosaurids, regardless if they are the more birdlike modern understanding, or the retro movie monster take.

Also sorry if my post's grammar is all over the place. I'm really tired/going to bed here soon.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 24, 2018, 01:03:12 AM
Thanks for leading this, Sim.  8)

This is going to be difficult, I'm going to be split between nostalgia and accuracy!

Invicta Troodon/Stenonychosaurus should probably go on the list.

I think that's exactly what I'll do. Five votes for accuracy and five for nostalgia.

I just hope this poll doesn't become a top ten BotM poll.  :P

Nimravus

Halichoeres

I would cast one of my votes for this candy-corn nugget:

Vivid (Walking with Dinosaurs) Hesperonychus

and for the PNSO "Seven Little Dinosaurs" Microraptor:

I only just got it, so it might be the joy of a new acquisition, but I'm also enjoying the huge Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor

Looks like this short list will be longish
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gwangi

I forgot about the Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor, probably because I'll likely never own it  :P. It should definitely be on the list though.

This poll is going to be a chore, I'm glad I opted out of managing this one, can just sit back and relax.  8)

BlueKrono

Only two JP raptors? There's gotta be dozens of them. My favorite is the dark green cyclops raptor.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Libraraptor

Gwangi

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 24, 2018, 09:13:54 PM
Only two JP raptors? There's gotta be dozens of them. My favorite is the dark green cyclops raptor.

I only suggested two because those were the only two I cared about voting for.  ;) The Kenner Utahraptor should be on there too.

Simon

Quote from: Gwangi on July 25, 2018, 12:02:48 AM
Quote from: BlueKrono on July 24, 2018, 09:13:54 PM

I only suggested two because those were the only two I cared about voting for.  ;) The Kenner Utahraptor should be on there too.

I second that motion.  Inaccuracies of the head aside, that was one HECK of an awesome toy (I am assuming we are talking about the one below):

Gwangi

Sim

There are two things I'd like to ask about:

I'm wondering if it would be better to have two top 10 polls: One for Velociraptor and Deinonychus toys, and later another for dromaeosaurids and troodontids excluding Velociraptor and Deinonychus.  I asked about this in the thread "Top 10 figures polls - guidelines & poll ideas", and based on what was said there it seemed to be a good idea to do just one poll for all of these animals.  After reading replies in this thread though, I think there is enough interest for it to be a good idea to do the two polls I suggested.  I've estimated how many figures mentioned so far would go in each poll, and I think there is enough diversity between the types of animals represented, the types of representations, and the types of toys they are, for both polls I suggested to be able to have an interesting and diverse range of top 10 figures.  I think if only one poll is created for all these animals, it will most likely be too competitive and some diversity people have an interest in wouldn't be reflected.

How do people feel about what I've suggested above?  If it's something people would prefer, I can change this thread to "Top 10 Velociraptor and Deinonychus toys", and at a later date a new thread can be created for "Top 10 dromaeosaurid and troodontid toys (excluding Velociraptor and Deinonychus)".  I'm definitely not saying this to reduce the amount of work involved, I'd be more than happy to make the second thread too unless anyone else wanted to do it. :P

The other thing I'd like to ask about is whether to include Rebor figures.  In previous top 10 toys polls (e.g. Tyrannosaurus, pterosaurs), Rebor figures were not included as they were seen to have production value that made them not appropriate for a "toys" poll, instead making them belong in a "statues" poll.  avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum made a post about this in Reply #129 here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=2932.msg83090#msg83090
Is there something that would make the situation with Rebor different now?

I'll add the figures people have suggested to the shortlist after a decision has been made about the two things above. :)

BlueKrono

I think just one poll for all of them should suffice. People on the forum don't seen to have as much of an obsession with the big two raptors as the populace at large, and I think there would probably be an even distribution amongst the lesser known species. I'm not sure why Rebor would be excluded since they are clearly made of plastic. I would even argue for the inclusion of statuary and non-plastic toys, but I'd probably be overruled. Rebor though I would think should fall under the (high end) toy category and should be included in the poll. Just my two cents.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Gwangi

I too thought Rebor was too high end for these polls when I constructed the T. rex poll, but then I went and suggested the Deinonychus clan in this one, lapse in memory I suppose. I still think they're too high end, you have to have a cutoff point somewhere and they're not toys, not even in the same sense as Papo. I would buy a Papo product for my child, but not a Rebor product and I think that alone makes a clear distinction.

I wonder if it might be better to have separate polls for feathered and scaly animals. As has been pointed out, there will be a struggle for voters to choose between nostalgia and accuracy. A lot of good scaly dromaeosaur models exist. I think that's the best division to shorten the polls. Plus, "Feathered Dromaeosaurs" reads better than "Dromaeosaurs that aren't Velociraptor or Deinonychus". 

Halichoeres

I think Rebor makes toys, despite their protests. Statues don't have articulated jaws and wings. I think they should be included (at least the Deinonychus, I dearly hope nobody would vote for their Utahraptor).

I've already given my two cents on the poll splitting, but Gwangi raises an interesting point. A featherless poll and a feathered poll could be useful for those with divided loyalties. Personally I wouldn't vote for any featherless ones, regardless of the quality of the sculpt or how accurate it was considered to be at the time, but I can see why JP fans might.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Faelrin

The Beasts of the Mesozoic action figures aren't intended for children either, but teens and adults. I don't see why Rebor should be excluded in that regard, if they are also primarily made out of plastic, but intended for collector's. I wouldn't really call some of them statues either with the additional articulation beyond the jaw that some of them have (such as the Deinonychus clan with bendy rubber body's and arm/wing articulation).

I do agree that the polls could (should?) be split between feathered and featherless. I would think it would be a bit more fair, at least in my case since I enjoy both, but I can stop and understand that one is retro, or more of a movie monster, and the other is close to representing the real animal. It would be much easier for me to focus my votes for two separate categories. If there are enough toys that warrant it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I suppose you make a valid point about the BotM but I always considered them to be more like action figures (toys) than anything else. I suppose if they're in the poll then Rebor should be too, at least the Deinonychus trio which is more toy-like than perhaps their Tyrannosaurus.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.