News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 dromaeosaurid and troodontid toys [Complete]

Started by Sim, July 23, 2018, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favourite toys of dromaeosaurids and troodontids?

Battat Utahraptor
24 (38.1%)
Bullyland Deinonychus
5 (7.9%)
Carnegie Deinonychus
5 (7.9%)
Carnegie Microraptor
21 (33.3%)
Carnegie Velociraptor (2015)
25 (39.7%)
Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor
11 (17.5%)
Favorite soft model Deinonychus
9 (14.3%)
Favorite soft model Velociraptor
8 (12.7%)
Invicta Stenonychosaurus
10 (15.9%)
Kabaya Deinonychus
7 (11.1%)
Kaiyodo Dinotales Deinonychus
12 (19%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Utahraptor
6 (9.5%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (electronic)
4 (6.3%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (non-electronic)
8 (12.7%)
Kenner The Lost World Velociraptor (cyclops)
4 (6.3%)
Mattel Jurassic World Velociraptor "Blue" (battle damage)
5 (7.9%)
Papo Velociraptor (feathered)
23 (36.5%)
Papo Velociraptor (without feathers)
11 (17.5%)
PNSO "Seven Little Dinosaurs" Microraptor
20 (31.7%)
Primeval raptor
4 (6.3%)
Resaurus Deinonychus
8 (12.7%)
Resaurus Velociraptor
6 (9.5%)
Safari Authentics Velociraptor
3 (4.8%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Microraptor
6 (9.5%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Sinornithosaurus
11 (17.5%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Velociraptor
5 (7.9%)
Safari Velociraptor by Greg Wenzel (large)
11 (17.5%)
Wild Safari Microraptor
34 (54%)
Wild Safari Velociraptor (feathered)
53 (84.1%)
Sega Dinosaur King Deinonychus
2 (3.2%)
Toyway Walking With Dinosaurs Utahraptor
14 (22.2%)
Tyco Deinonychus
3 (4.8%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Hesperonychus
9 (14.3%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Troodon
10 (15.9%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs Troodon (action figure)
10 (15.9%)

Total Members Voted: 63

DinoToyForum

Quote from: mgaguilar on July 30, 2018, 03:09:30 AM
I personally think they should all be included. Nomenclature aside, are we worried that they may all be taking the top spot?
I'm very much aware of how expansive this specific genre of poll is going to be, but how can we not include the BOTM line, as well as Rebor, when they are just as much a part of the collection as many of the others would be in this poll?

Most of these polls have been overarching best "figures/toys/pieces" with the only sculpts being mostly excluded were high-end resin statues that are FAR more out of the price-range than say the BOTM or Rebor figures.
Just my humble opinion. I would love to see them all in a huge poll, and maybe everyone gets 15 votes, instead of just 10.

That would be comparing apples with oranges: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apples_and_oranges

Also, the whole principle here is that everyone selects their personal top 10. If people need 15 votes it means we're doing something wrong (comparing apples with oranges). Let's keep it simple.

Halichoeres

Quote from: dinotoyforum on July 26, 2018, 06:46:00 PM
Just chiming in re: high-end statues, which in my opinion includes Rebor, Beasts of the Mesozoic, Sideshow. My preference is to exclude them and this is a rule of thumb we've applied to date. The poll will become meaningless if we include these statues. Like a boxing match between a heavyweight and a lightweight. We can always have a separate poll for statues.

I think the dividing line is pretty obvious and I like the suggestion above that the deciding factor could be whether you would give one to a child. Excluding 0-3 of course, toys with small pieces like Kaiyodo and Kinder Eggs wouldn't be suitable for a very young child.

Frankly I wouldn't give any toy to a child because I hold children in about the same esteem that Alan Grant does in Act I of Jurassic Park.

But in seriousness--as much seriousness as I can muster in a discussion of toy dinosaurs-- I think plastic vs. resin/ceramic/otherwise frangible materials is a more sensible distinction than (high-end + medium-high-end) vs. not-high-end. If you take away the bases, Rebor figures are indistinguishable from Papos in terms of durability. And Kaiyodos are, if anything, more fragile than a BotM raptor. I think the poll will be a lot less interesting without the BotM figures and the top spot will be a foregone conclusion. Just my two cents, but I won't raise any further objections.

On another note, I second Gwangi's nomination of the Kaiyodo Kitadaniryu, which, although a nomen nudum, clearly intends to represent a dromaeosaur and is one of the finest produced until quite recently.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Sim

I've now added to the shortlist all the eligible figures people have suggested.  It might be worth having a look at the shortlist to see if there's any other figure you'd like to vote for that needs to be added.

I don't know of anyone having obtained a Mojo Deinonychus yet, so I haven't added it to the shortlist.  I can wait a little longer before creating the poll to give time for people to get this figure, but there's still a week before I plan to make the poll, so I'll consider this again within this time.

Quote from: Gwangi on July 26, 2018, 01:20:16 AM
Also add the Kaiyodo Animatales Kitadaniryu, if it's a dromaeosaur or troodontid. Google results only come back with the figure itself.

From the very little I've been able to find, it appears this figure's DTB review is correct in saying "Kitadaniryu" is not a valid scientific name and it is most likely based on very fragmentary remains that may be the same animal as Fukuiraptor, which isn't a dromaeosaurid or a troodontid: http://dinotoyblog.com/2011/02/28/kitadaniryu-kaiyodo-animatales-series-6/

There has been a similar situation in the "Top 10 tyrannosaur Figures (excluding T. rex)" thread, where it was decided to not include the Kaiyodo Dinotales Siamotyrannus since the animal might not actually be a tyrannosauroid, and the figure has a high rarity and price.  Basically all this applies to the Kaiyodo Kitadaniryu too, with the addition that it represents a nomen nudum.  So I don't think it should be included in this poll.

Quote from: BlueKrono on July 29, 2018, 11:58:01 PM
Quote from: Sim on July 29, 2018, 04:11:55 PM
avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono: Are the Sega Dinosaur King dromaeosaurs you referred to the Deinonychus and Megaraptor?

Yes, those two!

I've added the Deinonychus to the shortlist.  It's now known Megaraptor isn't a dromaeosaurid (and it isn't a troodontid), therefore I don't think any figures of it should go in this poll.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 02:35:15 AM
But in seriousness--as much seriousness as I can muster in a discussion of toy dinosaurs-- I think plastic vs. resin/ceramic/otherwise frangible materials is a more sensible distinction than (high-end + medium-high-end) vs. not-high-end. If you take away the bases, Rebor figures are indistinguishable from Papos in terms of durability. And Kaiyodos are, if anything, more fragile than a BotM raptor.

I feel there is a quality difference that makes the distinction of high-end and not-high-end important.  Some examples follow:

Papo's Jurassic Park-based Velociraptor has some of the worst teeth I've seen on a dinosaur figure.  The teeth in its lower jaw look almost like blobs, and while there's only so much paint can do to make its teeth look better, I've still seen plenty of ones with teeth that don't look painted well.  Papo's feathered Velociraptor has much better teeth, but it has a noticeable seam on its tail.  As far as I'm aware, Rebor's dromaeosaurids don't have these imperfections, in the case of noticeable seams they are only present on Rebor figures for articulated parts.  The imperfections I mentioned for the Papo figures can be expected on "toys" but I don't think they would be in high-end models.  Looking at other "toys" vs "high-end" comparisons I see a consistent pattern where the high-end figures that are being excluded from this poll tend to have an advantage over the "toys" being included.  I agree with what avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum has said about this, that are there are two distinct categories here and that it wouldn't be fair to include both in one poll.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 31, 2018, 02:35:15 AM
I think the poll will be a lot less interesting without the BotM figures and the top spot will be a foregone conclusion. Just my two cents, but I won't raise any further objections.

Of course, I don't want you to find this poll less interesting.  I'd like to please everyone with this poll, but in the end I have to do what I think is best after considering everyone's opinions.  As I described above, it's clear to me that it wouldn't be good to include the two categories in this poll.  I actually find this poll more interesting now that BotM and Rebor aren't included!  Before I was a little concerned this poll would be dominated by BotM and Rebor figures.  Now I feel everything gets a fairer chance.

There's one figure I think deserves the top spot, whether high-end figures are included or not, but I'm not certain it will get it.  I hope it will, but I don't feel "the top spot will be a foregone conclusion."

Sim

Considering what we've seen of Mojo's new figures recently, does anyone still feel the Mojo Deinonychus should be included in this poll?

Faelrin

Considering how disappointing it turned out, I think I'll be voting for something else.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

I'm planning to make the poll very soon!  Also, I've added one more figure to the shortlist, the Safari Authentics Velociraptor.

Sim

The poll is now ready and open for voting!  Have fun!  :)

Faelrin

I tried to vote for a little of both nostalgic styled JP stuff, and some more modern takes. It wasn't easy pickings, so I suppose it is a blessing that the BotM raptors were not included. This way I was able to give things a chance that would have easily been dominated by them, even if I might end up being the only to vote for them.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

I also did a mix of old retro figures and more accurate ones. What I tried to avoid voting for were some of the more half-hearted attempts at accuracy.

Sim

I wonder why more people haven't voted?  I'm pretty sure there are more members who like figures in this poll.  To quote avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi from the Top 10 Allosaurus toys thread: Get voting people!  We need member participation!

SidB

Quote from: Sim on August 22, 2018, 12:35:44 PM
I wonder why more people haven't voted?  I'm pretty sure there are more members who like figures in this poll.  To quote avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi from the Top 10 Allosaurus toys thread: Get voting people!  We need member participation!

The discrepancy between the number of members and those who participate is remarkable. I find that it's become especially noticeable this summer. Really, the other two active polls, both very significant ones, haven't exactly been beehives of activity either. It took a very long time for Takama's last poll to get to 40 votes and it appears that these may be no exception.

Gwangi

Maybe some people don't know the poll is open? I suggest editing the subject heading to indicate that there's a poll now.

Sim

Thanks for your replies S @SidB and avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi.  I've edited the title of this thread accordingly. :)

Doug Watson

I prefer this type of poll because I can see how the voting is going without voting. I of course have a vested interest and like to see how my pieces stack up but on many of the polls I have to vote to see and then I feel self serving if I vote for my own pieces. I would rather stay neutral.

Gwangi

Quote from: SidB on August 22, 2018, 12:52:26 PM

The discrepancy between the number of members and those who participate is remarkable. I find that it's become especially noticeable this summer. Really, the other two active polls, both very significant ones, haven't exactly been beehives of activity either. It took a very long time for Takama's last poll to get to 40 votes and it appears that these may be no exception.

Yeah, these polls were really popular about three years ago. Everyone wanted to start one, which is why we ended up with 3 active poll at one time limit. Now you have to continually bump up the polls in order to get suggestions on the short list, then the stuff people ask to see on the list don't get any votes, and then even fewer people actually turn up to vote. I still think they're fun though, who doesn't love a good top ten list?

ceratopsian

I quite like voting in these polls.  What I like most though is the way they make you think a bit about the various toys and models on the candidate list.

Sim

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 22, 2018, 03:12:30 PM
I prefer this type of poll because I can see how the voting is going without voting. I of course have a vested interest and like to see how my pieces stack up but on many of the polls I have to vote to see and then I feel self serving if I vote for my own pieces. I would rather stay neutral.

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson I had you in mind when I chose the option to make the poll's results visible even if one hasn't voted.  I remembered how in the past you said you'd like to see results of a poll without voting.  I considered the different options with that in mind, and felt making the poll's results visible to anyone was the best choice.  That way you, and other people who don't vote (for example people who aren't members), can see the current results.  I'm glad you've found this useful. :)

SidB

I too enjoy the whole ramp-up process to the poll as well as voting itself, but there's more. I get a different perspective on the value and quality of different pieces that I'd previously not taken seriously enough by doing some research before voting.  For example, I've gone eight years without really paying adequate attention to Safari's latest Apatosaurus. The new poll has definitely made me aware of it's quality. Also, it's not as small as I'd assumed. It's now graduated onto my future acquisition short list.

Sim

Quote from: Gwangi on August 22, 2018, 04:19:32 PM
Quote from: SidB on August 22, 2018, 12:52:26 PM

Yeah, these polls were really popular about three years ago. Everyone wanted to start one, which is why we ended up with 3 active poll at one time limit. Now you have to continually bump up the polls in order to get suggestions on the short list, then the stuff people ask to see on the list don't get any votes, and then even fewer people actually turn up to vote. I still think they're fun though, who doesn't love a good top ten list?

I still enjoy these top 10 polls too.  Regarding figures people suggested not getting any votes, I'd say this thread's poll has done pretty well in not having that happen.  Currently, only one figure in this poll has no votes, the Jurassic Park electronic Velociraptor.  I've enjoyed seeing this since I've always disliked that figure.  I had a number of the Kenner Jurassic Park toys when I was little, and I enjoyed most of them, but the electronic Velociraptor was one that I never liked due to how different its head is from a dromaeosaurid head.  This and the Stegosaurus from the same series that weirdly has no beak and only two tail spikes are the Kenner JP toys I remember feeling somewhat disappointed with, although less so with the Stegosaurus since it still had decent playability.

Seeing how it's one of the least liked dromaeosaurid figures, I wonder if when avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum has time for it, the electronic JP Velociraptor icon used for this forum's "General" section can be replaced by one of a more pleasing dromaeosaurid toy? O:-)  (If that were done, I think it would also be good to see one of the Papo Pachycephalosaurus icons replaced (as the same one is being used for two sections of the forum) with an icon of a thyreophoran figure as none of the forum section icons are of a thyreophoran.)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.