News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 dromaeosaurid and troodontid toys [Complete]

Started by Sim, July 23, 2018, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favourite toys of dromaeosaurids and troodontids?

Battat Utahraptor
23 (37.1%)
Bullyland Deinonychus
5 (8.1%)
Carnegie Deinonychus
5 (8.1%)
Carnegie Microraptor
21 (33.9%)
Carnegie Velociraptor (2015)
25 (40.3%)
Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor
11 (17.7%)
Favorite soft model Deinonychus
9 (14.5%)
Favorite soft model Velociraptor
8 (12.9%)
Invicta Stenonychosaurus
10 (16.1%)
Kabaya Deinonychus
7 (11.3%)
Kaiyodo Dinotales Deinonychus
12 (19.4%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Utahraptor
6 (9.7%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (electronic)
4 (6.5%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (non-electronic)
8 (12.9%)
Kenner The Lost World Velociraptor (cyclops)
4 (6.5%)
Mattel Jurassic World Velociraptor "Blue" (battle damage)
5 (8.1%)
Papo Velociraptor (feathered)
23 (37.1%)
Papo Velociraptor (without feathers)
11 (17.7%)
PNSO "Seven Little Dinosaurs" Microraptor
20 (32.3%)
Primeval raptor
4 (6.5%)
Resaurus Deinonychus
8 (12.9%)
Resaurus Velociraptor
6 (9.7%)
Safari Authentics Velociraptor
3 (4.8%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Microraptor
6 (9.7%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Sinornithosaurus
11 (17.7%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Velociraptor
5 (8.1%)
Safari Velociraptor by Greg Wenzel (large)
11 (17.7%)
Wild Safari Microraptor
33 (53.2%)
Wild Safari Velociraptor (feathered)
52 (83.9%)
Sega Dinosaur King Deinonychus
2 (3.2%)
Toyway Walking With Dinosaurs Utahraptor
14 (22.6%)
Tyco Deinonychus
3 (4.8%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Hesperonychus
9 (14.5%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Troodon
10 (16.1%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs Troodon (action figure)
10 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Sim

I'm happy to see that now every figure in this poll has at least one vote, since the electronic JP Velociraptor is not the figure I dislike most in this poll.  Also, everything in this poll is a figure people felt merited being included, so I think it's nice each of these figures has been voted for.

----

Quote from: ceratopsian on August 22, 2018, 05:53:24 PM
I quite like voting in these polls.  What I like most though is the way they make you think a bit about the various toys and models on the candidate list.
Quote from: SidB on August 22, 2018, 11:20:09 PM
I too enjoy the whole ramp-up process to the poll as well as voting itself, but there's more. I get a different perspective on the value and quality of different pieces that I'd previously not taken seriously enough by doing some research before voting.  For example, I've gone eight years without really paying adequate attention to Safari's latest Apatosaurus. The new poll has definitely made me aware of it's quality. Also, it's not as small as I'd assumed. It's now graduated onto my future acquisition short list.

I like what avatar_ceratopsian @ceratopsian and S @SidB have said in these posts.  I've also found myself thinking more about the various figures in the poll after seeing them all listed together, and seeing how much votes each gets.  Some thoughts I have:

I find it interesting how all the Utahraptor figures in this poll are featherless.  I think this is because these three Utahraptor toys (Battat, Jurassic Park, Walking With Dinosaurs) are all impressive, each in their own way (even though the WWD version suffers somewhat from an overly still pose, like all the Toyway WWD figures).  While in contrast, the Utahraptor toys that weren't suggested for this poll lack the quality of being impressive.  The Utahraptor toys this is referring to are a few more featherless versions and also the few feathered versions made so far.  I have to say, I think Schleich's Utahraptor are doing the 50% feathered 50% scaly thing mentioned earlier in this thread, though! :))
The feathered Utahraptor toys made so far not having been very good I don't think is a loss, since the new remains of Utahraptor would have rendered those toys outdated anyway. Now that Utahraptor's skeleton is much more completely known, I think the stage is set for a new impressive Utahraptor toy which unlike its predecessors is accurate to the real animal.

It looks very possible that none of the troodontid toys will make it into the top 10.  I thought this could end up happening, but it's one thing to think it and another to actually see it happening.   Looking at the only three figures in this poll that represent troodontids, I'm reminded of how options for troodontid toys are extremely limited.  Now that it's been shown that Troodon isn't a valid genus, I hope a great troodontid toy will be made in the future, one that many people, myself included, will want (and would vote for in a top 10).

Looking at the figures in this poll, I find it interesting seeing 1. how they represent interpretations from different periods of time, and 2. how many votes the different figures have received.  Even though now I'm not interested in having featherless figures of these animals, half of my votes were for featherless representations that I feel were very good for their time.  The other half of my votes were for feathered representations that I feel have been very good for their time.  I'm happy to see the Wild Safari feathered Velociraptor and Microraptor doing so well in this poll!

DinoToyForum

Voted. I had to keep in mind that I was voting for my favourite toys, not necessarily the most accurate toys. Sometimes they are one and the same, sometimes not.

Lizerd

I voted for the safari raptors, with feathers :D
anyone know what comes out of this poll?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Bokisaurus

Maybe I missed it, but no CollectA in the poll? They have a feathered Utahraptor and Velociraptor :))

Ravonium

Quote from: Bokisaurus on August 30, 2018, 07:01:37 PM
Maybe I missed it, but no CollectA in the poll? They have a feathered Utahraptor and Velociraptor :))

CollectA are fairly notorious for not having attempted any form of deinonychosaur since the Utahraptor in 2011, and I think both of the feathered figures are the exact kind of figures people wouldn't vote for; figures that are intended to be accurate, but aren't. Their scaly Velociraptor also pales in comparison to other attempts at scaly deinonychosaurs.

Lizerd

So will this poll be made into a video?
As for not many CollectA animals being here is because the last few ones have been well, disappointing and fairly ugly.
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

IrritatorRaji

Yup, it'll be made into a top 10, picture-slide-show-esque, video that will go up on the DTB youtube channel :)

----

In regards to the CollectA thing though, I think they're definitely ready to try their hand again at Dromaeosaurs! Their Utahraptor wasn't great, but it had all the elements of a great Dromaeosaur figure. They've come a long way since 2011, I really want to see them try again.

Lizerd

Cool! I voted on something that I will forget about in a month  :))
wonder when the next poll will go up  ???

IrritatorRaji

From what I've seen, polls are created by users (hence why there's a discussion about the poll and a shortlist created before voting actually begins). They're not something that's, like, officially run by admins only. So, in theory, another poll could go up next week or next year, who knows.

Lizerd

IrritatorRaji

If you're going to make a poll, do remember to read the rules first and have a look at what other polls have been created to help differentiate yours from the rest :D

Lizerd

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji  Trust me I have no idea what I am doing  :D anyways what were your top picks?

IrritatorRaji

I'm sure if you need help you can ask around :D I'm not the right person to ask since creating polls isn't really my thing, but I'm sure you could message the mods, admins, or frequent poll creators if you need additional help.

Most of my picks were feathered Dromaeosaurs just because I love scientifically accurate models, stuff like Safari's feathered Velociraptor and the DitW Dakotaraptor, but I do love the charm and nostalgia associated with older models, like the Toyway WWD Utahraptor and Resaurus Velociraptor :D Your top picks?

Lizerd

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji I'm not supposed to know what I am doing  :))  :))  :)) probably going to do something fun and irrelevant

As for my top picks: Safari raptors all the way! Mostly the feathered ones because Watson makes amazing feathered models. Also not just for looking awesome they are also accurate  :D which counts for coolness any day of the week

The nostalgia factor did play in for the featherless Carnegie raptor as I still have it, but I repainted it  ;D

Gwangi

Quote from: Lizerd on August 31, 2018, 02:08:58 PM
The nostalgia factor did play in for the featherless Carnegie raptor as I still have it, but I repainted it  ;D

The Carnegie Velociraptor isn't on this poll, not the original one at least.

If you voted for the Deinonychus than this is what you voted for.

Lizerd

Oh no, oh no indeed  :o it was uhm... uh... herm. Well I guess I voted for it because it was so bad it looked funny  :D!

Sim

The Carnegie Velociraptor in the poll is the feathered version, no-one suggested the featherless version so it wasn't included in the poll.  avatar_Lizerd @Lizerd if you voted for the Carnegie Deinonychus and it's not actually something you want to vote for, there's a "REMOVE VOTE" button under the poll.  If you click this, I believe it will remove all your votes in this poll and allow you to vote again, so you could then vote for the same figures minus the Carnegie Deinonychus.

Lizerd

I just clicked it, and removed it. Thanks for the tip  :D

Sim

Quote from: Bokisaurus on August 30, 2018, 07:01:37 PM

This thread was open for nearly a month before the poll was created, for people to suggest what should be in the poll.  In this time, no-one suggested CollectA figures, so no CollectA figures have gone into the poll.  I don't doubt this is because CollectA's dromaeosaurid figures unfortunately haven't been very good.  Not being feathered correctly really stands out as a flaw of CollectA's dromaeosaurids.  I also find CollectA's Utahraptor reminds me more of a scarecrow than a dromaeosaurid.  The tail of CollectA's deluxe Velociraptor being way too small is also a noticeable flaw that figure has.

avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium, avatar_Lizerd @Lizerd and avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji described problems with CollectA's dromaeosaurids well, too.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Lizerd on August 31, 2018, 02:08:58 PM
avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji I'm not supposed to know what I am doing  :))  :))  :)) probably going to do something fun and irrelevant

Errrh maybe try and keep it relevant? I mean, erh, no one wants to see spam or anything

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.