News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Top 10 dromaeosaurid and troodontid toys [Complete]

Started by Sim, July 23, 2018, 11:11:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

What are your favourite toys of dromaeosaurids and troodontids?

Battat Utahraptor
23 (37.1%)
Bullyland Deinonychus
5 (8.1%)
Carnegie Deinonychus
5 (8.1%)
Carnegie Microraptor
21 (33.9%)
Carnegie Velociraptor (2015)
25 (40.3%)
Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor
11 (17.7%)
Favorite soft model Deinonychus
9 (14.5%)
Favorite soft model Velociraptor
8 (12.9%)
Invicta Stenonychosaurus
10 (16.1%)
Kabaya Deinonychus
7 (11.3%)
Kaiyodo Dinotales Deinonychus
12 (19.4%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Utahraptor
6 (9.7%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (electronic)
4 (6.5%)
Kenner Jurassic Park Velociraptor (non-electronic)
8 (12.9%)
Kenner The Lost World Velociraptor (cyclops)
4 (6.5%)
Mattel Jurassic World Velociraptor "Blue" (battle damage)
5 (8.1%)
Papo Velociraptor (feathered)
23 (37.1%)
Papo Velociraptor (without feathers)
11 (17.7%)
PNSO "Seven Little Dinosaurs" Microraptor
20 (32.3%)
Primeval raptor
4 (6.5%)
Resaurus Deinonychus
8 (12.9%)
Resaurus Velociraptor
6 (9.7%)
Safari Authentics Velociraptor
3 (4.8%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Microraptor
6 (9.7%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Sinornithosaurus
11 (17.7%)
Safari Feathered Dinos Toob Velociraptor
5 (8.1%)
Safari Velociraptor by Greg Wenzel (large)
11 (17.7%)
Wild Safari Microraptor
33 (53.2%)
Wild Safari Velociraptor (feathered)
52 (83.9%)
Sega Dinosaur King Deinonychus
2 (3.2%)
Toyway Walking With Dinosaurs Utahraptor
14 (22.6%)
Tyco Deinonychus
3 (4.8%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Hesperonychus
9 (14.5%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs mini Troodon
10 (16.1%)
Vivid Walking With Dinosaurs Troodon (action figure)
10 (16.1%)

Total Members Voted: 62

Gwangi

Quote from: Lizerd on August 31, 2018, 03:58:05 PM
Oh no, oh no indeed  :o it was uhm... uh... herm. Well I guess I voted for it because it was so bad it looked funny  :D!

Hey now, I actually did vote for it. I love those little guys.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on August 31, 2018, 08:48:14 PM
Oh no, oh no indeed  :o it was uhm... uh... herm. Well I guess I voted for it because it was so bad it looked funny  :D!

Fair enough, after all, we are voting for our favourites not the most accurate.

Lizerd

Oh it's socially acceptable to vote for them? Great! (You see a shady character with a piece of paper on him saying "not lizerd" cast his vote)
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

ceratopsian

Quote from: Gwangi on August 31, 2018, 08:48:14 PM

I meant it too.  I love that little trio, even if they are funny.  You didn't get running dinosaurs when I was a child so even if they are now very dated, they still reflect change at the time they were made.

Lizerd

If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

SidB

This is very worthwhile poll. It amazes me that it has attracted so little interest and attention over the course of the last several months. A few of the members, including Sim, the originator of this poll, put a great deal of effort into the DTB/DTF, and I feel that it becomes incumbent on the rest of us to support their input by, for example,at least voting in a poll like this one. A while back, we had a glut of polls on the DTF, so I could understand the reticence to vote. That's no longer the case. Another excuse is a certain lack of knowledge concerning the candidate dinosaurs. No problem - there is a huge reservoir of resources on the DTB to research and from which to learn. What a great opportunity! The polls have time and again brought certain species and entire genera to my attention of which I'd been previously unaware.

32 members have voted so far. That's absurd and pathetic, a testament to apathy and selfishness. Let's at least get the poll up to 40 members voted, so the Dr. Admin can put up the final results with the other polls.

gursar

I really love polls and you have many good points but with all due respect, I am not quite sure calling people apathetic and selfish is the best way to encourage people to vote polls.

SidB

Quote from: gursar on January 21, 2019, 07:48:13 PM
I really love polls and you have many good points but with all due respect, I am not quite sure calling people apathetic and selfish is the best way to encourage people to vote polls.
Acually, G @gursar, I quite agree with you. Those of that inclination, if they even notice this, probably will dig in their heels and NOT vote. However, my hope would be that others, not of that persuasion, upon reading my barb, would be reminded to act on it for the sake of the poll itself.

suspsy

Quote from: SidB on January 22, 2019, 01:25:58 PM
Quote from: gursar on January 21, 2019, 07:48:13 PM
Acually, G @gursar, I quite agree with you. Those of that inclination, if they even notice this, probably will dig in their heels and NOT vote. However, my hope would be that others, not of that persuasion, upon reading my barb, would be reminded to act on it for the sake of the poll itself.

Nobody appreciates being labelled apathetic and selfish, especially not over something as trivial as a poll about raptor toys. I have not participated in this poll for the simple reason that I have no interest in it.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Sim

The impression I've got is that for quite some time now there's not been as much interest in polls here as there was in the past, except for the top 10 new figures of the year polls which seem to have remained popular.  That having been said, I'm happy with the attention this poll has received over time, and I look forward to seeing it get 40 votes. :)  I've been enjoying seeing how the positions and votes of the figures have developed as the voting has progressed.  I don't expect people to vote in a poll unless they would like to.

What was involved in creating this poll - from making a shortlist, to deciding what should and shouldn't be included and responding to the differing opinions on that, to actually creating all the options people can vote for and then posting the poll - took me a lot of time and energy.  Consequently, while I don't think top 10 polls are among the most important things, I think calling this poll "trivial" is quite rude.

Faelrin

I remember that there was a lot of discussion, etc put into this. Like determining if the BotM raptors should count or not, etc. I agree that there was effort and thought put into this.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

stargatedalek

Personally I don't think it's fair that we have multiple Kenner raptors but only one Mattel and no Hasbro ones on the poll.

That being said most of the JP Velociraptors are similar enough to be divided into categories rather than individuals, IE: Mattel small (attack pack and battle damage) raptors, Mattel Baby Blue, Kenner main series raptors, Kenner hatchlings, Hasbro(JP3) raptors (Re-AK), and Hasbro(JP3) raptor hatchling. Assuming this poll lasts a few more months before the final count the Mattel 6 inch series raptors could also have a slot.

Something similar could have been done for the BOTM raptors. Specialty they may be but at the end of the day they are still toys, not statues. If there was a "Top Ten Sauropods" poll the Papo Brachiosaurus would definitely have been included, but it's in the same price range as the BOTM raptors.

Another option would be to have every BOTM and JP raptor, but at the end add up the votes and give the win to the highest voted from that "section". That way we don't end up with the top five BOTM raptors and the JP raptors cleaning up every slot left.

Sim

S @SidB: I forgot to say in my previous post, I appreciate your interest in this poll!  I agree with you that this poll is worthwhile.  I've been finding the results so far very interesting, and perhaps quite revealing with regards to how most people would like to see these animals represented by companies in the future - the only two figures that have been voted for by over half of voters are figures that really represent the animals well as the real animals they were.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin: Thanks!

avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek: This thread was open for almost a month before the poll was created, for people to suggest what to include in the poll.  The only reason there aren't more Mattel or any Hasbro figures in this poll, is because nobody suggested they should be in the poll.  All the Kenner and the one Mattel in this poll were figures people expressed wanting in this poll.

I'm reluctant to include any more figures in the poll now, as some people who voted might not notice that there are new options in the poll, or perhaps they might not want to go to the trouble of erasing their vote and then re-voting to include newly added figures.  By not adding new figures after the poll has begun, there's no doubt that everyone who voted had the same options.  Additionally, out of the figures that were released before this poll was created, I think those that could make the top 10 would have all been suggested.

Personally, I don't think figures should be lumped as one option in a poll unless they are repaints.  Regarding the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures, there was a rather long discussion on whether to include them earlier in this thread.  As I mentioned in it, making comparisons between "toys" vs "high-end" I see a consistent pattern where the "high-end" figures that are being excluded from this poll tend to have an advantage over the "toys" being included.  The similar price between the Papo Brachiosaurus and the BotM figures is a good point, but I think one is getting "more" for the price in the BotM figures than in the Papo Brachiosaurus, which I think again reflects the difference between the more sophisticated figures that are being excluded from this poll, and the more "toy" figures that this kind of poll is for.

If BotM figures were included, I definitely think any that made the top 10 would count as being in the top 10 (with repaints not getting a separate option in the poll - these would just come under one option with their original figure).  Looking at how this poll has been going, I'm not sure any other positions in the top 10 would only go to JP figures!

SidB

avatar_Sim @Sim et al, I see that the apatosaurus/brontosaurus poll is completed with 43 members voting. This one has 47 already - any idea when it will be closed too, as complete?

Mirroraptor

I have to notice a sad fact: the number of figures of Troodon is so rare that I read it over and over again to find them in the table (although they are all concentrated at the bottom of the table)...

Faelrin

I've gone back and changed my vote. This time I voted for the Battat Utahraptor, Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor, Kenner Utahraptor, Kenner non electronic Velociraptor, Mattel's Battle Damage Blue, Papo's feathered Velociraptor, PNSO's Microraptor, Safari Ltd's feathered Velociraptor, Toyway's WWD Utahraptor, and Tyco's Deinonychus.

Runner up's this time for me where the Carnegie Microraptor and feathered Velociraptor, and Papo's JP styled Velociraptor.

I went with a mix of my personal favorites (new and old), and pieces that hold up well to accuracy, or pieces that have an important history in dinosaur toys and models.

I can only imagine how tough this would have been with the new Safari Ltd Deinonychus thrown in the mix. I'd likely chose that over Mattel's Battle Damage Blue despite the sentimental value I have for that figure now. I suppose that also goes for the Beasts of the Mesozoic figures if they were added, though I would try to restrict my choices to a few of them, it wouldn't be an easy choice.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Sim

S @SidB, I think this poll will be considered complete once @dinotoyforum creates the video for it.

avatar_Mirroraptor @Mirroraptor, the whole troodontid family is neglected when it comes to figures.  It IS sad.  I hope this will change in the future, I think a troodontid figure could sell well.  I'd really like a good figure of Saurornithoides!

stargatedalek

I feel this poll could be remade at this point. It's been so long a bunch of new applicable figures have been released. And considering there are already 2 dromaeosauroids in the 2020 lines I would recommend cancelling this poll and postponing the idea of the poll for a few more months.

Concavenator

Quote from: stargatedalek on November 09, 2019, 05:38:21 PM
I feel this poll could be remade at this point. It's been so long a bunch of new applicable figures have been released. And considering there are already 2 dromaeosauroids in the 2020 lines I would recommend cancelling this poll and postponing the idea of the poll for a few more months.
Yeah, and two excellent dromaeosaurids at that!

Sim

I'm against cancelling this poll.  New figures that could fit in the poll could always come out at any point in time.  If we kept on waiting to include new releases a poll would never get completed.  Additionally, this poll took a lot of effort to do and I would be disappointed to see the work I put into it be for nothing, same goes for all the contributions other people have made to this poll.

My last attempt to notify avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum didn't work, so I'm trying again here.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.