News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

1/9th scale Jurassic World Tyrannosaurus Rex 3D Print

Started by yankeetrex, June 29, 2018, 08:35:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yankeetrex

Hey Everyone,

In honor of the release of Jurassic World Fallen Kingdom I 3d Printed my T-rex model in large scale.  Took forever on my Monoprice Maker Select V2 3d printer in parts about a months worth of printing including all of the failed prints.  Here are the progression pics and I finished on Jurassic World FK's Release day last Thursday.  I may add some details here and there like scarring, but this will be it for now.

3d Model...

The Printed Parts.....

The Build...

The Final....

Simon

Spectacular, iconic, wonderful....I know better than to even inquire how much the entire process cost   :(

... one question/observation (that, to be fair, I have had  every single time I have seen one of these very faithful reproductions of the JP TRex):

Would you ever consider doing one with the orientation of the arms corrected?  That blemish (in the original design) tempers my enjoyment every single time that I see one of these JP TRex sculpts. 

Yes, its absolutely an iconic and awesome TRex.  But it would be MORE awesome if only the arms were anatomically correct.

I know this is way too big for you to ever offer as a kit, and I respect your artistic choice in this regard because, well, you made it for yourself to look at.

But if you ever do a smaller one in kit form, I would encourage you to offer a pair of "anatomically correct" arms as an option - because the extra pair wouldn't add virtually any cost due to their small size ... and would guarantee you one more customer ...  ^-^

Otherwise - GREAT JOB!!! ;)

Patrx

Wowser, that's one massive T. rex! She looks great, instantly recognizable and very imposing.
Also, I fully approve of your Power Rangers vinyl figures :D

Dinomike

Check out my new Spinosaurus figure: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5099.0

mgaguilar

There she is. I've been waiting a long loooongggg time for this.

Bless you fellow fabricator. Are you using Z-Brush for sculpts?

Blade-of-the-Moon

ITdactyl

Wow.  Awesome work.  Nice to see the finished paintjob  - and it's refreshing having a Rexy that's not roaring "Goats! Lawyers! Goat-lawyers!"

One thing though, I guess there's still no way to avoid the striations produced by 3d printing. -Not that the lines distract from the finished project.

On a side note, what is that pterosaur hiding behind some Power Rangers?

yankeetrex

Quote from: Simon on June 29, 2018, 09:59:51 PM
Spectacular, iconic, wonderful....I know better than to even inquire how much the entire process cost   :(

... one question/observation (that, to be fair, I have had  every single time I have seen one of these very faithful reproductions of the JP TRex):

Would you ever consider doing one with the orientation of the arms corrected?  That blemish (in the original design) tempers my enjoyment every single time that I see one of these JP TRex sculpts. 

Yes, its absolutely an iconic and awesome TRex.  But it would be MORE awesome if only the arms were anatomically correct.

I know this is way too big for you to ever offer as a kit, and I respect your artistic choice in this regard because, well, you made it for yourself to look at.

But if you ever do a smaller one in kit form, I would encourage you to offer a pair of "anatomically correct" arms as an option - because the extra pair wouldn't add virtually any cost due to their small size ... and would guarantee you one more customer ...  ^-^

Otherwise - GREAT JOB!!! ;)

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl , Thanks so much!  I figured every other JP Rex is roaring so why not do one with the mouth closed?  Unfortunately the striations aren't something I can change because of the PLA printing.  If I ever got a resin 3D printer those would not exist. As far as the pterosaur goes its one I designed a while ago and wanted to see it printed out.  Its fingers are done terribly so I don't think I'll show that one, haha.

avatar_mgaguilar @mgaguilar Yes Zbrush is my weapon of choice.

Thanks Simon!  Always great to hear opinions of my pieces.  Especially from someone like you. 

Surprisingly this did not cost that much.  PLA 3d printer filament is not that expensive, I probably used 2 rolls at 18 dollars each. I used 1 package of DAS clay to fill the seams, and that was it, so about another 8 dollars or so.  The real cost is the amount of time and energy consumed from the 3d printer and I have no way of estimating that, lol. 

I absolutely could do one in a small scale with anatomically correct arms, and if I can purchase a 3d printer that doesn't fail so often. I will definitely try to bring some of my models to small market.  I got a taste of that with my JP Dilophosaurus and Baby T-rex head busts, but I never saw a dime because the people who produced the copies of them did not pay me from any of the sales. I guess i'm a bad judge of character. I learned my lesson.

Lone Trike

Wow! Absolutely stunning model, congratulations! Also nice paint-job! I got an FDM printer as well recently and I really love it. It´s just a fascinating machine and it´s always exciting when you can pull a new print from the print-bed. Feels almost like Christmas :))

Quote from: yankeetrex on July 03, 2018, 10:20:37 PM
I will definitely try to bring some of my models to small market.  I got a taste of that with my JP Dilophosaurus and Baby T-rex head busts, but I never saw a dime because the people who produced the copies of them did not pay me from any of the sales. I guess i'm a bad judge of character. I learned my lesson.
I´m sorry to hear that you got ripped off! I hope you don´t let yourself be discouraged by this.
model kits available at: Instagram at LoneTrikeStudio Shapeways

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.