News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Paleo Art Stumbled Upon The Internet

Started by sauroid, May 20, 2016, 01:42:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sauroid

more beautiful extinct Cenozoic mammal art (sorry these images are from my files without any infos so i can't credit the artists or where they are originally from [i.e. books, etc.])
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: sauroid on January 21, 2018, 12:45:06 PM
more beautiful extinct Cenozoic mammal art (sorry these images are from my files without any infos so i can't credit the artists or where they are originally from [i.e. books, etc.])

I recognize these! They're from a rather old book I have. Most of the book is very outdated by now, but the mammals aren't that bad.
https://www.amazon.com/Macmillan-Illustrated-Encyclopedia-Dinosaurs-Prehistoric/dp/0025801910

sauroid

thanks! :) that book is still worth acquiring.
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Nanuqsaurus

Quote from: sauroid on January 21, 2018, 01:13:06 PM

Just be warned that the dinosaurs are very outdated, with almost all theropods being completely naked and some even in tripod pose.

sauroid

Quote from: Nanuqsaurus on January 21, 2018, 01:19:38 PM
Quote from: sauroid on January 21, 2018, 01:13:06 PM

Just be warned that the dinosaurs are very outdated, with almost all theropods being completely naked and some even in tripod pose.
retro paleo art is always a delight for me (as long as they're pre-1990) :D
(and i think i have the book after all. different version/same content and illustrations)

sauroid

featherless Tyrannosaurus rex by Vlad Konstantinov

Neosodon

"3,000 km to the south, the massive comet crashes into Earth. The light from the impact fades in silence. Then the shock waves arrive. Next comes the blast front. Finally a rain of molten rock starts to fall out of the darkening sky - this is the end of the age of the dinosaurs. The Comet struck the Gulf of Mexico with the force of 10 billion Hiroshima bombs. And with the catastrophic climate changes that followed 65% of all life died out. It took millions of years for the earth to recover but when it did the giant dinosaurs were gone - never to return." - WWD

CityRaptor

Not scientifically accurate, but still awesome.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

alexeratops

Quote from: CityRaptor on January 26, 2018, 11:39:41 AM
Not scientifically accurate, but still awesome.

This had better be in Aquaman this December.
like a bantha!

sauroid

two artists' renditions of Velociraptor mongoliensis
by Nils Knotschke

by Gabriel Lio

sauroid

Llallawavis scagliai by H. Santiago Druetta

Llallawavis scagliai by Martina Charnelli

Reptilia

I remember Mark Witton being quite tranchant on the Papo Quetzalcoatlus when it was announced, maybe he's a little bitter because he didn't feel Mr Seo borrowing the Dimorphodon stance as an homage but rather as a rip-off?

Patrx

I guess the pose is a little similar! But, Mark's one of the leading experts on pterosaur life appearance; that Quetz was bound to hurt his sensibilities regardless of personal biases regarding artistic property  ;D

Halichoeres

I reckon Witton would not have been as bitter if the Papo Dimorphodon had mimicked it in accuracy as well as pose.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

DerbesSchuhwerk

I came across this Dimorphodon by Julius T. Csotonyi.
I don't know if you've already had this painting in this thread, but it seems to me, as a big inspiration for the CollectA Dimorphodon, so I thought of leaving it here.

http://csotonyi.com/Dimorphodon.html

Reptilia

Definitely inspired by that, colours and position. I wonder if Csotonyi cried out for some kind of recognition, like that DeviantArt guy did with Safari.

stargatedalek

I don't buy that one bit. The colours are nothing alike and the pose is fairly generic.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I'm not sure if book art counts for this list, but I did stumble across this book because of the internet!

Jason Chin's "Grand Canyon" has some nice (non-dinosaur) paleoart depicting the prehistory of the Grand Canyon. He conveys the concept of Deep Time in a rather clever way; each fossil the girl finds on her hike literally becomes a "window in time", with a cut-out in the page revealing the animal in its original environment on the next page! It's a fun book, and one of the better presentations of the full scope of natural history in children's non-fiction literature. (You can read a longer review of the book here: https://dinodadreviews.com/2018/08/11/grand-canyon-jason-chin/ ).

It's also got several nice diagrams of the canyon's stratigraphy:

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.