News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Plastic Resin Heroes - Digiramas & Chromakey

Started by PlasticResinHeroes, August 18, 2018, 01:22:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PlasticResinHeroes

Sharing my first REBOR figure.

Carnotaurus Sastrei

Behind The Scenes Setup
PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

Jose S.M.

PlasticResinHeroes

PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

PlasticResinHeroes

Vastatosaurus Rex

Behind The Scenes

• Black foamboard (background)
  • McFarlane The Walking Dead Prison Playset
  • IKEA potted ferns
  • Papo running V-Rex
PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

amargasaurus cazaui

Admit I never thought of using Hulkbuster Armor to keep my dinosaurs in line...good plan ! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

PhilSauria

Great work!! I look forward to more of these images. Seems that there's so much more that we can do with our collections than just put them on a shelf and give them some eye time.

PlasticResinHeroes

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 19, 2018, 09:20:39 PM
Admit I never thought of using Hulkbuster Armor to keep my dinosaurs in line...good plan ! ^-^ ^-^ ^-^

;D didn't occur to me that way! Because of its heft, its always used as a weightstopper to prevent my reflector from falling onto the toys.

Quote from: PhilSauria on August 19, 2018, 11:08:29 PM
Great work!! I look forward to more of these images. Seems that there's so much more that we can do with our collections than just put them on a shelf and give them some eye time.
Thanks PhilSauria! Yes, in some cases setups can be achieved using items from the dollar shop.  :)
PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

PlasticResinHeroes

PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

Lizerd

Cool dioramas! The dinosaur choice and lighting works very well  :)
Also a bit random, but the title is digiramas, did you mean dioramas? Or is it intentional?
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/
It's been a good run here

Ravonium

Quote from: Lizerd on August 20, 2018, 05:40:43 PM
Cool dioramas! The dinosaur choice and lighting works very well  :)
Also a bit random, but the title is digiramas, did you mean dioramas? Or is it intentional?

It's likely intentional. The term 'digirama' appears to emphasize that at least one aspect of the diorama is digitally made.

Anyways, nice compositions OP. These works prove that there is definitely value and effort in a digitally enhanced/composed diorama.

Lizerd

Digital enhancment is probably one of the best things we got from this century, the results are pretty impressive
If you wonder where I'm active now, you can find me here- http://www.lustria-online.com/members/lizerd.17772/

Ravonium

Quote from: Lizerd on August 20, 2018, 07:15:47 PM
Digital enhancment is probably one of the best things we got from this century, the results are pretty impressive

For me, the best thing about it is that I can use many digital enhancement programs to draw and trace over maps (an odd pastime of mine)  ;D ;D ;D

Lizerd

I would love to monkey about with digital enhancement, but I don't know how or were, not that I'm dumb (I could graduate high school right now and go to college), but I'm too lazy to do it  :))
so instead I look at other peoples cool pics and have a fun time  :)

PlasticResinHeroes

Kind compliments Lizerd & Ravonium. Thank you.

Yes I've come to learn that the technique to shoot using digital backgrounds are coined 'Digirama' by the Toy community.
For my case I can't really keep dioramas due to limited living space, hence got used to shooting using a monitor screen.
PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

Patrx

Nice work! Compositing can be tricky, but the toughest bit, in my experience, is lighting, and you seem to have a pretty good grasp of that.

Lizerd

I say you made good use of digital enhancement, keep up the good work!

PlasticResinHeroes

Thanks again Lizerd & Patrx!

Cooperative hunting

While sourcing digirama backgrounds I learnt about the Petrified Forest — known for its fossils, especially fallen trees that lived in the Late Triassic Period, about 225 million years ago.

Background: Petrified Forest National Park, Arizona

Behind The Scenes
PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

Doug Watson

Wow I am not usually impressed by digital dioramas (I prefer the 3D kind) but your shots are in a league of their own. I was always intrigued by glass matte paintings and blue/green screen technology in the old stop action films of yesteryear.
I would love to know what technology you use to incorporate your backgrounds even though I may not grasp it.

Lizerd

Amazing shot, as always you did an awesome job  :D

PlasticResinHeroes

Quote from: Lizerd on August 22, 2018, 04:04:09 PM
Amazing shot, as always you did an awesome job  :D

Quote from: Doug Watson on August 22, 2018, 03:07:05 PM
Wow I am not usually impressed by digital dioramas (I prefer the 3D kind) but your shots are in a league of their own. I was always intrigued by glass matte paintings and blue/green screen technology in the old stop action films of yesteryear.
I would love to know what technology you use to incorporate your backgrounds even though I may not grasp it.

Thank you Doug & Lizerd.

I shot the subjects behind a green cardboard and removed the excess green areas digitally using Photoshop. Based on the backdrop image I will set up situational (warm/cool) light cast using LED panels on the subject, such that light source is aligned with backdrop's. To blend foreground image with the backdrop, I am using Photoshop's Adjustment Layers (Exposure, Color Balance, Saturation & Brightness-Contrast). Lots of trial-and-error until I feel the overall looks okay to my eyes.
PLASTIC RESIN HEROES
INSTAGRAM | FACEBOOK

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.