News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinosaur Toy Forum Diorama Contest 2018 - poll

Started by DinoToyForum, August 27, 2018, 03:27:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vote for up to ten [10] dioramas

1. In the jaws of death
73 (59.8%)
2. Pleistozän von Mitteleuropa (Pleistocene of mid Europe), with a bit of primeval
20 (16.4%)
3. Remember the past of the past
4 (3.3%)
4. Triassic love
11 (9%)
5. ...and then something close by caught her attention...
32 (26.2%)
6. It's... it's a dinosaur!
11 (9%)
7. Jurassic cliff
12 (9.8%)
8. Surprise, you're dead
3 (2.5%)
9. Chicxulub
7 (5.7%)
10. Getting ready to hunt...
6 (4.9%)
11. Sunbath in the dawn
23 (18.9%)
12. Food fight
19 (15.6%)
13. Late to the feast
11 (9%)
14. David and Goliath
5 (4.1%)
15. The king watches all
15 (12.3%)
16. Fish for lunch
27 (22.1%)
17. Tranquillity
25 (20.5%)
Disqualified
1 (0.8%)
19. TRAVEL ALERT!
7 (5.7%)
20. Now, to find a quiet spot to eat
11 (9%)
21. A little bit nostalgia with the feeding of titanosaurs at Prehistoric Park
29 (23.8%)
22. Fishing with Malawisaurus
4 (3.3%)
23. A hunt in the bay keeps the drought away
1 (0.8%)
24. A trip to the principal's office for messin' with class teacher's prosthetic leg
6 (4.9%)
25. Go for the tender meat
62 (50.8%)
26. Battle at The Lost World
11 (9%)
27. Frozen: Fallen Kingdom
4 (3.3%)
28. On the hunt
46 (37.7%)
29. Once again, the prey escapes
6 (4.9%)
30. One's loss is another's gain
34 (27.9%)
31. Confrontation at the waterhole
1 (0.8%)
32. Hunting is dirty work
3 (2.5%)
33. The lost jungle
2 (1.6%)
34. Dinner by the lake?
15 (12.3%)
35. Life's a beach - and then there's raptors
13 (10.7%)
36. Postosuchus on the prowl
34 (27.9%)
37. Less gets more
18 (14.8%)
38. The happy camper
52 (42.6%)
39. Happy waterhole!
25 (20.5%)
40. YOU BETTER GET OFF MY LAWN, KID!
3 (2.5%)
41. Tie your mother down
18 (14.8%)
42. River ambush
5 (4.1%)
43. Broken peace
7 (5.7%)
44. Thief in the night
10 (8.2%)
45. Evolution at its finest
2 (1.6%)
46. From tiny acorns do mighty oaks grow
10 (8.2%)
47. A tullimonstrous pet!
10 (8.2%)
48. High above or down below
4 (3.3%)
49. A sound of thunder
6 (4.9%)
50. Fishing at dawn
3 (2.5%)
51. Distant cries in Santana Formation
6 (4.9%)
52. Oh look, it's a leaf!
2 (1.6%)
53. Taking the plunge
28 (23%)
54. To whom belongs the nest?
15 (12.3%)
55. Surprise encounter in the forest
6 (4.9%)
56. Sandstorms in dry season
32 (26.2%)
57. Uninvited guest
4 (3.3%)
58. Evening flight
28 (23%)
59. Live and then – ERUPTION
3 (2.5%)
60. Lunchtime surprise
1 (0.8%)
61. The orphan thief
1 (0.8%)
62. The biggest dinosaur ever! (until they find another partial titanosaur)
38 (31.1%)
63. Paw Paw
49 (40.2%)

Total Members Voted: 122

Voting closed: September 26, 2018, 03:27:54 PM

postsaurischian

Just to make sure: I'm not involved in any of the dioramas.

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 27, 2018, 09:26:07 PM
Fairs! Was just hoping that, if they were manufactured, I'd be pointed in the right direction to obtaining one. But yeah, these really do look like customs, I'll just wait til the winners are announced to ask again :D

The Pteranodon is not a custom. It's from Kaiyodo's 6th CapsuleQ set - "Dinosaurs of Japan".

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Oops! Someone chose the colours of my Shapeways Protoceratops - even the smallest detail :o ;D .

Deleted image of disqualified entry - Admin  C:-)

This is mine:

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 27, 2018, 09:57:04 PM

Oops! Someone chose the colours of my Shapeways Protoceratops - even the smallest detail :o ;D .

I think that might actually be your Protoceratops just photoshopped in? When you have a look at the edges of the Pteranodons and Protoceratops they're really rough and pixel-y (also, the light sources come from different directions and are different colours)

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 27, 2018, 10:02:53 PM
I think that might actually be your Protoceratops just photoshopped in?

Yep, everything in the entry is 100% edited in. The background is a photo of a famous group of cliffs in Ireland, which I can confidently say was found via a web search (When you do a reverse image search on the entry in Google, the first thing that comes up is a photo that is identical to the background).

Libraraptor

A hard choice indeed.  Many very unusual approaches in terms of style and content alongside all  the hunter-prey and beach pictures.  And more dinosaurs again than last year,  set into relation with the overall number of contributions.
A hard choice,  but I voted already.

postsaurischian

Quote from: Ravonium on August 27, 2018, 10:11:30 PM
Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 27, 2018, 10:02:53 PM
I think that might actually be your Protoceratops just photoshopped in?

Yep, everything in the entry is 100% edited in. The background is itself a photo of a famous group of cliffs in Ireland, which I can confidently say was found via a web search (When you do a reverse image search on the entry in Google, the first thing that comes up is a photo that is identical to the background).

Hm, that would lead to disqualification. Now I'm curious.
The closest photo by myself is on DTF v.1: http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/post/109405
But it's not exactly the same angle. Is it possible to turn it by editing?

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 27, 2018, 10:27:27 PM
The closest photo by myself is on DTF v.1: http://dinotoyforum.proboards.com/post/109405
But it's not exactly the same angle. Is it possible to turn it by editing?

I think editing has definitely been used on the image you listed.

Ravonium

Quote from: postsaurischian on August 27, 2018, 10:27:27 PM

Looking at the contest guidelines, yep, you're correct  :-X

By the way, if anyone wants it, here's proof that the background was probably not originally taken by the entrant: https://pixels.com/featured/cliffs-of-moher-ireland-at-sunset-pierre-leclerc.html

DinoToyForum

The rules are very clear: "Using somebody else's photographs will result in disqualification."

Since the background photo for entry 18 is taken from https://pixels.com/featured/cliffs-of-moher-ireland-at-sunset-pierre-leclerc.html and belongs to Pierre Leclerc Photography, and the Protoceratops is a manipulated version of Postsaurischian's photograph, this entry will be disqualified. This is the first time this has happened. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

I'll remove it from the list and poll. If Pierre Leclerc is reading this, please accept my apologies on behalf of the entrant. And Postsaurischian, sorry I didn't recognise your Protoceratops in that entry before posting it.

I'll also have to delete the Youtube video and upload a new one. >:(

IrritatorRaji

Wow, kinda shocking that this happened :'( I do hate plagiarism, but I really hope that the entrant see's these comments and learns from this experience.

postsaurischian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 27, 2018, 10:40:20 PM
....... Postsaurischian, sorry I didn't recognise your Protoceratops in that entry before posting it.

:) No need for that. How could you remember all of your DTF fellows' figures?
But it was clear that I would. So it was a bit stupid to use one of my individually painted figures.
I knew it from the first moment I saw it, but I didn't want to be too harsh in the beginning. And I was a bit worried,
because I couldn't remember having shown the Protoceratops from that angle. Thanks to IrritatorRaji for clearing this up. Great job!

DinoToyForum

I've updated the first post and poll, deleted the image from the dinotoyblog server, and a new Youtube video is uploading. C:-)

IrritatorRaji

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on August 27, 2018, 11:22:13 PM
Thank you for the speedy response and quick actions avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum :))

I have to second that. This situation was handled very well :)  I only hope that the sponsorship from Urzeitshop hasn't been put in jeopardy because of this.

Digibasherx

I honestly sprayed coffee on my desk when I saw "Chicxulub".

Gwangi

Quote from: Digibasherx on August 28, 2018, 02:17:56 PM

If there was award for best caption/title that one would surely win.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gwangi on August 28, 2018, 02:57:30 PM
Quote from: Digibasherx on August 28, 2018, 02:17:56 PM

If there was award for best caption/title that one would surely win.

I have to admit, I raised an eyebrow when that entry landed in my inbox! But, hey, it fulfills all of the criteria! :))

Bokisaurus

Voted, great job everyone! Some funny and creative ones this year ^-^ So great to see so many entries this year, and t he variations and styles are fun to see all together.
Good luck to everyone who entered!

Unfortunately, I was not able to enter this year due to my hectic schedule. I did make a couple as possibilities, but in the end decided that they were not inspired enough. Oh well :)

Mironimus

There's no need to worry, of course I stick to my sponsorship.
The 'situation' was solved very quick.
Another good example for the power of the crowd.
;)

Urzeitshop - dinosaur online shop from germany
https://www.urzeitshop.de/gb/
Telegram: t.me/urzeitshop
YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/user/Urzeitshop

Federreptil

The deleted entry wasn't my favorite - so it is not a big loss :)) This is not my cup of tea using photoshop and the problem was here very quick and effective solved. This say nothing about the efforts of the other 62 participants. There are very cool and variable entrants in this volume and it was a hard job to do my duty. But the election is done and now starts the waiting for the end of this poll to see the results ;)
I propose a special award for the nearly tireless enthusiasm of the unknown redshirt in No. 9 "Chicxulub"  8)

Ravonium

Quote from: Mironimus on August 28, 2018, 07:10:12 PM
There's no need to worry, of course I stick to my sponsorship.
The 'situation' was solved very quick.
Another good example for the power of the crowd.
;)

Thanks for the reassuring response, Mironimus, and that is a great attitude to have towards situations like this  :)

I think the maker, and the man who is the starring actor, of 'Chicxulub' should be rewarded just for providing this thread with some (very entertaining  ;D  ) comedy relief, especially considering the discussion that preceded  ;)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.