News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Tyrannosaurus - 3D Print Collection

Started by Dinoreplicas, September 22, 2018, 12:05:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dinoreplicas

Finally getting version 2 of the Tyrannosaurus skull on Shapeways. If you've been following the W.I.P. thread you'll be aware it's part of a larger collection of models. Initially only the skull and foot are ready. This weekend I'm preparing the neck/skull and dual-detail versions which I hope to roll out over the next few days.

I've probably held on to this far too long but I really wanted to have actual photos (not 3D renders) before I put this out on Shapeways. As always Russell at Mushroom Imaging did an excellent job getting some good angles and capturing fine details.

Had an busy evening yesterday sizing the 7 scale versions for the skull and foot. There's sometimes a bit of tweaking required to get the smaller scales past the checks.

Shapeways links here-
Tyrannosaurus skull on Shapeways (version 2)
Tyrannosaurus foot on Shapeways

Examples shown in photos are 1:20 scale, brush painted with artist's acrylic paint and lightly coated with a compatible gloss varnish for protection. Display stands are perspex and 2mm piano wire.

More stuff coming soon.

Minmiminime

Oh, wow! They've turned out fantastic. Amazing work! Pretty good price, too  ^-^
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Minmiminime on September 23, 2018, 08:41:35 PM
Oh, wow! They've turned out fantastic. Amazing work!
Thanks, I don't think you can beat having the real 3D object and being able to view it from any angle but these shots are about as close as you can get with photography.

QuotePretty good price, too  ^-^
I hope so, I'm trying to keep the price as reasonable as possible. Obviously the larger scales are more expensive and Shapeways base price is a lot higher than the markup I add for myself. I like to add value through features which is why I provide a choice of scales and the articulating jaw, there's also a pre-drilled pilot hole to aid mounting.

Managed to finalise the skull and neck version today
Model available online at SHAPEWAYS LINK

Dinoreplicas

OK then, here's the final model for the Tyrannosaurus collection, I'm calling this one the Dual-Detail Rex Head (at least until I think of a better name ;D).

If you saw the final posts of my W.I.P thread you'll be aware it comes in lipped and non-lipped versions to reflect the current scientific debate about the subject. This is a 3 piece model and assembly with a suitable glue is recommended this time. Initially only 2 scales for this version- 1:20 and 1:16. Sometimes I get requests for other scales for the skulls so this may change.

Shapeways link - lipped rex
Shapeways link - non-lipped rex

A few more photos of the lipped version (we call her Scarface).

It feels like I've been chipping away at this thing forever and I've just filled over a week prepping models, photos and the like but I think I'm finally putting rexy to bed (mostly).

I say mostly because of course nothing's ever really finished. There's always something to add or tinker with so I may re-visit this thread with an occasional update. Also I haven't printed myself a non-lipped model yet so there'll be more photos if/when I get round to it, I fancy a croc-like olive green with rust-coloured eye horns for that version.

It's good to get the work out there at last, hopefully I'll make a few sales on this but we'll see. I'm sure I'll be back here with a new project at some point.

Halichoeres

I wish you great success with these models!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Dinoreplicas

Quote from: Halichoeres on September 30, 2018, 05:50:26 PMI wish you great success with these models!
Cheers, that's really nice of you. Skulls and bones have quite niche appeal so I'm not expecting to sell loads. The modest success I've had over the past 1.5 years confirm there's some folk out there who like this stuff. For me though, it's as much about making the kind of models I like and putting my individuality out there.

Dinoreplicas

Had a couple of requests to make the T. rex skull available in bronze and silver. Shapeways metal materials are crazy expensive but I suppose that should be expected. Don't know if anyone can afford this but here it is at 1:20 and 1:16.

Shapeways link here

If the Celts were ever into dinosaur art, maybe one day something like this will turn up in a field in Norfolk!

Dinoreplicas

If anyone's interested in buying one of my 3D printed models, next week is a good time as Shapeways are having a Cyber Monday Sale.
Don't know what the sale prices will be but you can check my Shapeways page on Monday 26th November.

There's currently 12 plastic models available in multiple sizes so the smaller scales could be a real bargain!