News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

dinotoycollector.com

Started by DinoToyCollector, October 09, 2018, 03:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyCollector

Hello everybody,

after writing to Dr. Admin, I hope that this part of the forum is the right one to present something to you.

Over the last few months, I have been working on a website that aims to provide a simple overview of all sorts of dinosaur figures from different companies. The database is still growing, but at the moment a lot of figures are already implemented. However, the heart of the page is the ability to virtually manage your own collection. That is, you can browse through the database and add the desired figure to your collection or wishlist.
As I already told the admin, I'm not about to compete with the Dinosaur Toy Blog and the associated forum. I would like to expand the offer for everyone. Maybe one or the other will find favor on the side.

You can reach the website at dinotoycollector.com

Since this is my first post here, maybe I'll say a few more words about myself: My name is Stefan, I'm from Germany (at this point I want to apologize for any grammatical mistakes), and since the tender age of 2 I've been surrounded by a wide variety of Chinasaurs. But I still live! In 2007 I became aware of the dinosaur figures of Papo in a shop, which made me want to have more ... again. For many years now I have only visited this forum as a guest and am now looking forward to showing my face  ;)

acro-man

Encyclopedia of Dinosaur Toys Ever Made
Awesome idea!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Sauropelta

Neat. I like how you can search scale and see ratings.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

Halichoeres

This is a really impressive undertaking. It reminds me of brickset.com, although it's even more ambitious, if anything, because it's pulling from many different brands instead of just one.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

IrritatorRaji

Ooh, I like this! I just signed up to the site :D

IrritatorRaji

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector

Out of curiosity, is there any way to contribute to the site? I mean, the task is huge, I'm sure it wouldn't hurt to have some contributors, right?

DinoToyCollector

I am very pleased that the project is of interest to you.

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres:
Thank you, you understand it completely right. The preliminary work to bring everything into a meaningful order was enormous. And yes, when I was looking for the "How the hell do I start with such a project?", I also had contact with the head of brickset.com, which pointed me in the right direction.

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji:
Any help is welcome. Of course, at the moment the main work is in the database. There are many mistakes that I would like to correct. If you find any mistakes, you can let me know at any time. Best via PM or e-mail. If you are interested in being an active contributor, then maybe I can even give you access to database management. But otherwise there are many ways to support me: send pictures of missing figures, lists of missing figures or missing manufacturers. If there is any news from the companies and so on ... I also like to accept suggestions for improvements to the website in general.

Thank you all for the warm words and interest. This will continue to motivate me to move the project forward.

IrritatorRaji

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector

I could certainly give it a go, but I've never been a contributor before ^^

Carnotaurus

i really liked the site! It will be very useful to make a schedule of which figures i will buy some day. Thanks for share your effort.

Greets

Halichoeres

I'm curious about how you're finding photos. Some seem to be manufacturers' photos, but others I recognize as ones that I myself took. That could mean I posted them here, or on toyanimal.info, or on eBay. I don't think I mind my photos being used, but I must confess it was a bit jarring to find them on the site.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Ravonium

This is an interesting, intricate and ambitious project you have here :D Welcome to the forum, I hope to hear your insights on this hobby :) I just signed up. Now I don't have to store my dino-toy wishlist as a document anymore! ^-^

DinoToyCollector

@ Halichoeres
When I started offline with the project, I actually found a lot of photos through a simple internet search. That's why I left the watermarks in the photos. Since the website is online, I stopped this kind of work and don't try to use these pictures any more and just wanted to use the official pictures or the ones I shot myself. Unfortunately, I just uploaded all the images without having sorted them out first. Of course you are absolutely right: nobody is allowed to do that! The whole thing is a difficult situation, also because of copyright. It was and is not my intention to mark these photos as mine. In the imprint I have noted that. If you wish, I will of course remove the photos within 48 hours! I am really sorry for these inconveniences.

Good to hear that the site is useful to you. In the future, I would like to include the possibility to save Your own collection as a document. The emphasis is on LATER

Gothmog the Baryonyx

I've only had a quick look, but this looks like it could be a great resource. Good for keeping track if everything. The option of searching for figures by scale is interesting too. And I'm glad to see Invicta is there too.

Edit - thanks to the 'group' section , I can now look through the Ornothopods to see if I can see more I like
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Halichoeres

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector not to worry, you can use the photos of mine that you have, there's no need to remove any of them. Some of them were for toyanimal.info, so they were always intended for general use. If you'd like to use any of my photos in the future, I would appreciate being asked. For a site like this I'm even willing to take photos specifically for its use, since I'd like to be able to help collectors, especially new collectors, decide what they want to pursue. So if you have requests for specific figures or lines, and I have those figures, please feel free to get in touch.

Libraraptor

Stefan from Germany?! Interested in dinosaur figures?  Wait, there is another one!?

Ikessauro

Great project, I always wanted something like this to help keep track of my collection.

If I may suggest something to improve, I'd say it's the response of the site when you click "Add to Collection".

Everytime I  add something to the collection there is a page reload, the site loads and goes back to the top of the page, making the job a bit time consuming. If you can, program the page to not reload after a toy is added to the collection or if that is not possible, try to make it load and go back to the item on the list just added to the collection, instead of going to the top of the page.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Ikessauro on October 12, 2018, 05:37:14 PM
If I may suggest something to improve, I'd say it's the response of the site when you click "Add to Collection".

Everytime I  add something to the collection there is a page reload, the site loads and goes back to the top of the page, making the job a bit time consuming. If you can, program the page to not reload after a toy is added to the collection or if that is not possible, try to make it load and go back to the item on the list just added to the collection, instead of going to the top of the page.

I second this, it would be very useful if the page did not reload every time we added something to our collection :)

DinoToyCollector

Yes, the refreshing of the page is an known and annoying issue and is at the top of my list. Since until recently I had no experience in dealing with php programming, so far I knew no other solution. In the last four weeks, I've learned more and know (at least in theory) how to do it. Incidentally, the same thing happens if you remove the models from the lists  O:-). I'm on it!

I can hardly believe it!  :P

Halichoeres

If I want to submit information to update listings (scales, for example), is it best to do that in a comment or an email?

DinoToyCollector

Hey Halichoeres,
that's doable in both ways. I think the most convenient way for you is sending it via e-mail. I already saw that you wrote a comment. I have to add something that helps to quickly find his own comments and answers... but later. I've been working a lot on the adding issue today, but that turned out to be more complicated than expected ...

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.