News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

dinotoycollector.com

Started by DinoToyCollector, October 09, 2018, 03:07:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mgaguilar

I LOVE the newsfeed formatting with an image to feature! Fantastic work!
I would definitely love to contribute any articles missing as well, although my collection is pretty specialized at the moment.
Brilliant work thus far! avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector

Sauropelta

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector You're missing a few dinos like Nigersaurus from WS & Mojo toy company.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

DinoToyCollector

Thank you for the praise! It is true that many news are currently not updated and covered. Right now I am still programming and getting closer to the solution of the Add-problem, which is...
...why many models are still missing. Of the existing companies are actually missing only the figures of Kaiyodo and Bullyland (and a few of Schleich). There are still many companies like Mojo, Mattel etc. that need to be covered. But a Nigersaurus of Safari is already there  ;) Or did i miss another?  :-X

DinoToyCollector

Short Update:
Adding figures no longer reloads the page, but kills the rating system for the specific figure until reloading ... Grrrr! It keeps me busy. But I think it's more comfortable to handle than before. Still not finished, but one step closer.

Also: you can now see our sources for the news.

DinoToyCollector

In the database are now all figures of Schleich, the Beasts of the Mesozoic line by Creative Beast Studio and Kaiyodo inserted.
At this point a big thank you to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, who has provided the entries and pictures to the Kaiyodo figures.

Which company should we cover next?

IrritatorRaji

avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector

Maybe update how news is covered? Instead of having all the news on the front page, perhaps you could have a few snippets of news (say 4 or 5), another section on the front page for updates to the site itself, and a new tab for news in general? I feel like it's just as important to cover updates to the site itself as it is dinosaur toy news.

Also, as there are many reputable sites to buy dinosaurs, may I also suggest more to add to the homepage?

• Everything Dinosaur
  • Urzeitshop
  • DeJankins
  • MiniZoo

(Simple mock-up)

DinoToyCollector

avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji
Thanks for your suggestions! So far, I have posted news to the site only on my Twitter account. But I can well imagine making a breakdown, as you suggest. In this way, it will certainly be easier to implement the feature on commenting news briefly. I just wanted to keep the main page simple. We will see...
I know that there are many good sites to buy dinosaur figures. I will include them in due course. Likewise, I will still create the links page, which will lead to corresponding pages. There was not enough time this week.
Thanks again for the suggestions. Something like that always helps a lot.
Oh, and by the way: you have really good image processing skills. But I have already mentioned that once

What do you think of something like this for for filtering news?

The idea is that with just one click you get what you want to see.

Sauropelta

Can email be non mandatory for the site? Also would like to search based on rating.
Sauropelta (Meaning 'lizard shield') is a genus of nodosaurid dinosaur that existed in the Early Cretaceous Period of North America. One species (S. edwardsorum) has been named although others may have existed. Anatomically, Sauropelta is one of the most well-understood nodosaurids, with fossilized remains recovered in the U.S. states of Wyoming, Montana, and possibly Utah.

DinoToyCollector

There are several reasons for registering by e-mail: on the one hand, it helps to uniquely identify your internal area. On the other hand, there are always people who like to forget their passwords. In order to restore a password, it still needs a way to contact. I hope that explains why we need an e-mail. There are no other reasons for that.

Quote from: Sauropelta on October 20, 2018, 10:22:43 PM
Also would like to search based on rating.

That's definitely something to come!

DinoToyForum

Welcome avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector!

Yes, I think your new site will become a great service. It is an ambitious project and has obviously taken a lot of effort, congratulations!

I'm interested to see how far you take it. You've got the main companies covered but do you plan to eventually have every company listed? That will be a can of worms! Will you include 'Chinasaurs'? Are you aware of the excellent http://toyanimal.info Wiki? If not, that would be a good place for you to explore to get a handle on dino toy companies past and present: http://toyanimal.info//index.php?title=Category:Companies

I, too, like the way you've categorised the toys by scale. Actually, I'm inspired to possibly introduce such a system of classification for Dinosaur Toy Blog reviews.

Interesting choice of logo. Is there a reason you picked a skull rather than a fleshed out animal?

As you know, I've linked to http://dinotoycollector.com from the DinoToyBlog so hopefully more collectors will discover you that way. I'll also be happy to forge stronger links between our sites going forward. I think they compliment each other very well.

Out of curiosity, did you code the site yourself from scratch or are you using an out of the box CMS?

Good luck with this exciting project!  8)

DinoToyCollector

avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum
Many Thanks!

I am not quite clear about the extent of the number of companies. I have already thought about Chinasaurs and wanted to let them out for the first time because they (for me) are not real collectors' items. You get them everywhere, but do not know who produced them (if you do not want to call China a company).
I already know toyanimal.info, after I already "borrowed" a few pictures there. You can really consult the site very well!

Quote from: dinotoyforum on October 20, 2018, 11:40:01 PM
Interesting choice of logo. Is there a reason you picked a skull rather than a fleshed out animal?
A question about the logo? Since the page is mainly about figures, the question is close. I answer that with a counter question: Are not the skeletons and skulls the real models?  ;) But that may be changed. First and foremost, that was simply a decision of personal preference.

I will insert the review section later this week. I also think that our pages complement each other wonderfully.

The website is not a CMS system. Those were the first considerations to solve something like this with a CMS system. Unfortunately, the customization options were too small for me. That's why I've been teaching myself html and php since May 2018. So I can make changes as I want. Unfortunately, that also means that working on the database for others is a bit more complicated at first, as I have noticed. Wink avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres and avatar_IrritatorRaji @IrritatorRaji. But they quickly figured out how it works.

suspsy

Hello,

I just signed up on your page. Very impressive indeed! I do wish to point out that there seems to be something wonky going on with the CollectA page. As I scroll down, the images begin veering off to the left hand side of the screen until they are no longer visible. :(
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Ravonium

Quote from: suspsy on October 21, 2018, 02:25:19 PM
I do wish to point out that there seems to be something wonky going on with the CollectA page. As I scroll down, the images begin veering off to the left hand side of the screen until they are no longer visible. :(

This doesn't seem to be solely a problem with the CollectA page (I assume all company pages have this same problem). However, it is a problem solely for logged in users.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Ravonium on October 21, 2018, 02:44:12 PM
Quote from: suspsy on October 21, 2018, 02:25:19 PM
I do wish to point out that there seems to be something wonky going on with the CollectA page. As I scroll down, the images begin veering off to the left hand side of the screen until they are no longer visible. :(

This doesn't seem to be solely a problem with the CollectA page (I assume all company pages have this same problem). However, it is a problem solely for logged in users.
It appears to happen to all ranges when signed in for me, though it was only a problem for CollectA and Safari as they were the ones I had to keep zooming out of to get them.

Other than that, I really like this resource, and I like how it guesses your favourite company and prehistoric animal.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

suspsy

The CollectA also seems to be missing Xenoceratops and Xianguanlong.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: suspsy on October 21, 2018, 04:59:01 PM

I'll get on that

Ravonium

Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 21, 2018, 05:00:43 PM

I'll get on that

You don't need to; both of those figures are listed (I have them on my wishlist and collection respectively). The only reason they appear missing is because of the problem suspsy initially mentioned*

*If you know how to sort that out as well, ignore this post.

IrritatorRaji

Quote from: Ravonium on October 21, 2018, 05:03:50 PM
Quote from: IrritatorRaji on October 21, 2018, 05:00:43 PM

I'll get on that

You don't need to; both of those figures are listed (I have them on my wishlist and collection respectively). The only reason they appear missing is because of the problem suspsy initially mentioned*

*If you know how to sort that out as well, ignore this post.

Yeah, I just realised after adding the Xenoceratops (so now we have two on the site, oops). Will try to remove the duplicate

EDIT: Also, the formatting issues are beyond my control unfortunately, I can only add and edit entries

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Can any of the Favorite exclusive models be added?
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

IrritatorRaji

avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx

Sure thing, but I don't know which Favorite models are missing as I'm not all too familiar with the company

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.