News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinotoyforum's art

Started by DinoToyForum, March 16, 2012, 10:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sepp

That Camarasaurus has a sweet face, aww. It definitely looks sentient :)

Himmapaan

I like the Camarasaurus. We certainly need more studies of sauropod heads.  ;)

I say definitely get back into the game, but concentrate on traditional work!  :P Shun that graphics tablet!  ;D

tyrantqueen

What's wrong with graphics tablets? Digital art is an artform too  :P

(I know what you were saying was mostly in jest, but just wondering...)

brontodocus

I like the Camarasaurus head! :) Graphic tablets are of course a different approach but they have their advantages, too. They can be useful even for scientific drawings, I made the entire camera lucida drawings of the type material in my PhD thesis using a Wacom tablet. I'm not sure how useful that may be for drawings of non translucent fossil specimens, though. There are even some publications for making scientific drawings with a tablet so it may be an interesting investment not only for artwork. :)

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: brontodocus on April 09, 2012, 11:46:54 AM
I like the Camarasaurus head! :) Graphic tablets are of course a different approach but they have their advantages, too. They can be useful even for scientific drawings, I made the entire camera lucida drawings of the type material in my PhD thesis using a Wacom tablet. I'm not sure how useful that may be for drawings of non translucent fossil specimens, though. There are even some publications for making scientific drawings with a tablet so it may be an interesting investment not only for artwork. :)

Ah! I was thinking a graphic tablet could be applied to the preparation of figures for publication as well, glad to hear this is the case. I'm sure the possibilities are endless really. I'm excited now, I must invest in one...! But don't worry Niroot, I won't discard my pencils just yet  ;)

Himmapaan

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 09, 2012, 11:49:08 PMBut don't worry Niroot, I won't discard my pencils just yet  ;)
;D I'm glad to hear it.

Quote from: tyrantqueen on April 09, 2012, 10:50:42 AM
Digital art is an artform too  :P
Of course. I wasn't implying otherwise.  ;) :))

Most members probably know my championing of traditional art, and I just play up that aspect when I get the chance.  ;D

But aesthetics aside, even I have to concede that there are instances in which digital media are much more practical, at least as far as application goes. Technical diagrams such as in the examples both the doctors mention are cases in point. :)

DinoToyForum

At 5 years old, my Macbook is apparently ancient, and therefore incompatible with newer tablet models. However, I found and ordered an older model from eBay that should hopefully do the trick. I'll be sure to post my results here :)

Horridus

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 09, 2012, 10:44:45 AM
We certainly need more studies of sauropod heads.  ;)
Couldn't agree more...
All you need is love...in the time of chasmosaurs http://chasmosaurs.blogspot.com/
@Mhorridus

Gryphoceratops

Quote from: dinotoyforum on April 11, 2012, 11:00:07 AM
At 5 years old, my Macbook is apparently ancient, and therefore incompatible with newer tablet models. However, I found and ordered an older model from eBay that should hopefully do the trick. I'll be sure to post my results here :)

Can't wait!

DinoToyForum

My graphics tablet arrived! It may take me a while to get used to it, I'm struggling with details, as you can see, but I'm excited by the potential!

So, for fun and experimentation only, here's my first ever digital sketch. I guess it's a 'Rhomaleosaurus' megacephalus, it basically spilled out of my brain. Not too bad for a first try methinks  ^-^

Himmapaan

Certainly far from bad!

I gather there is obviously far better control than using a mouse, though I wonder how you are finding the disjoint. Is it much reduced?

DinoToyForum

The first five minutes using it felt odd, but honestly, I was able to adjust very quickly. A couple of things to note:

One thing that differs, is that you can't rotate the 'paper' for a more convenient angle. I never realised this was such an integral part of my technique until now. This is why I more or less gave up on the teeth on this ocassion  :-[

And also, on the smallest paintbrush settings, I found myself losing the tiny 'nib' on the screen. But I think this is something one just has to get used to. I'm sure it's a matter of practice.

Overall, I think this will be an invaluable tool.  8)

DinoToyForum

It's actually more akin to painting than illustration. I started to give old mega a body:

A little bit more time, effort, and attention to detail will be necessary to get results I'm happy with, but I'm really warming to this.

EDIT - A little bit better:

Arioch

Def better. Great job with the details and colors so far!

Sumo

Looking good! :D Love the detail on this one. And I'm still impressed that anyone chooses to work in color!
"It is only a matter of time before the ents of justice arrive, and demonstrate the true, amphisbaenian origin of Mammalia. Then we will be free!"
- Dr Darren Naish

Himmapaan

Gosh you're picking this up fast! But I suppose you've worked digitally before anyway.  :)

ZoPteryx

brontodocus

Looking good! :) BTW: It took me about a month to get used to my tablet - at least to achieve a quality that is equal to the ink drawings I did before. The impossibility to rotate the screen was a problem for me, too. Not so much for the drawings themselves but for the transfer from pencil to ink drawings later on.

Oh Lord, won't you buy me a T-rex by Krentz? My friends all have Sideshow, I must make amends.

Gryphoceratops

Cool stuff.  I may look into getting a tablet in the future.  Was always sorta biased towards doing everything freehand with physical material but I may need to give this a try. 

DinoToyForum

Well, overall I think this is a little bit better still, but I've overworked and fudged up some areas. I still don't feel quite in control, especially with the details. It's a learning process  :))
Thanks for the kind comments everyone.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.