News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dinotoyforum's art

Started by DinoToyForum, March 16, 2012, 10:48:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I've been doing a little more experimenting with my graphics tablet and photoshop, playing with techniques for rendering feathers. Still a bit scruffy, but I'm getting closer with this Velociraptor (anatomical errors aside) ... :)

Velociraptor:

Himmapaan

DinoToyForum

Here's another one I've started work on. Could Apatosaurus do this?

Apatosaurus

Himmapaan

Apatosaurus, yay!  :)) Well, it looks like a youngling to me, so I'd say yes.  :D

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Himmapaan on April 25, 2012, 10:19:38 PM
Apatosaurus, yay!  :)) Well, it looks like a youngling to me, so I'd say yes.  :D

Marlies said the same thing! It wasn't intended, but you are both right! :)

DinoToyForum

An updated version of the Apatosaurus.

I hope people don't mind me posting all these various stages of development, I figured it might be interesting to show how a piece evolves little by little.

I'm happy with how the Apatosaurus is coming along.  :) Comments on the accuracy are welcome, as I haven't consulted any material for guidance on this occasion - I just jumped in.  :-[

ITewan

That is really nice! But a can an Apatosaurus do that with it's arms? O.o
im a lil tired and a lil hungry

Himmapaan

Well, I certainly don't mind. I like seeing progress stages. I still think this one is adorable ( ;D) and I like those mottled greens and ochres.

And yes, they certainly can do that with their forelegs:) Perhaps not quite at right angles, but I gather there is some stylization with this one.  :)

Weaver

I just love the weight you convey with the Apato, it's really nice because your not adding in extra lines. I like that. Especially for some of the sauropods and marine reptiles.

And woo! Digital! It's fun isn't it?

Gryphoceratops

Looks cool Adam.  Maybe make the neck a little wider?  Not sure what the proportions would be on a younger animal but the adults sure seem to have beefy necks. 

DinoToyForum

Thanks for the comments everyone. I'm signing off the juvenile Apatosaurus for now, although I'm not quite happy with it, and may return to it another time. I've beefed up the neck, as suggested.   :)

Thagirion

I like your marine reptile. The final one looks so colorful. I'm very partial to blues and turquoise.  I finally got a tablet last year and after years of being a mouse artist I just can't get used to it.
Creation. Is an act of sheer WILL - John Hammond
*Thag's Journal * Thag's Flickr * Thag's Youtube *

Arioch

Getting really good with colors and shading, I see! nice Apatosaurus (and Velociraptor).

Meso-Cenozoic

Sorry so late to comment here. Congrats on your new tablet and on your quick progress on it. These are really nice, especially considering they're your first!

I have just the opposite problem concerning computers and tablets, Adam. I have a MacBook Pro that's only a year old, and a Wacom Tablet that's several years old. I haven't tried to use my tablet with my new computer yet. But, by what you found out, mine probably won't be compatible either. I'll give it a go anyway just to see. I was just waiting till I was more comfortable on a Mac (was always a PC user before) and the new Adobe Suite I got with it. I had used the tablet before with my PC. It does take a bit of getting used to. Well, a lot! I never felt I got completely in control. But I also think I gave up sooner than I should have!  ::)

DinoToyForum

Another digital work in progress. All these years and I've never drawn a Triceratops! I cheated this time by using a photograph of a skull.

Gryphoceratops

oooh pretty!  Is there any way to get scales on there?

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Gryphoceratops on September 02, 2012, 01:38:14 PM
oooh pretty!  Is there any way to get scales on there?

Arioch seems to have developed a method of adding scales to a digital painting in bulk; I'll have to add them one by one unless he indulges me with his secret. I will have a go in any case.

Balaur

Quote from: dinotoyforum on September 02, 2012, 11:34:13 AM
Another digital work in progress. All these years and I've never drawn a Triceratops! I cheated this time by using a photograph of a skull.

wow! nice work!

Himmapaan

I like the spiky crystalline patterns.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Himmapaan on September 02, 2012, 05:24:12 PM
I like the spiky crystalline patterns.

Thanks! I'm sorta going for a 'healed scars' kinda look.  ^-^

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.