News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Unique Species Specimen Discussion Thread

Started by Roselaar, August 28, 2012, 02:09:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dinocat

I have a large Lunar Models Estemmenosuchus that is at least 10 years old.

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 29, 2012, 01:52:14 AM
Following the implications of this thread, as a suggestion it might be an idea to also add the list of figures not yet released. If such were instated, you would then have effectively created a quite useful guide of figures with more than one manufacturer, figures with a single version in known fandom, and finally those only dreamed of.

If such is created, I nominate yinlong, and chaoyangsaurus, and a SINGLE version of Koreaceratops, as well as zuniceratops, and bagaceratops

Isn't there a (lot of) threads for that? Wish lists and predictions and such?  If that is not present, you can always create that new thread yourself. Maybe we can keep this thread on track for its express purpose? Just a thought. This discussion appears, to me, to be of more than sufficient interest as is.

To be honest, I (and probably several 'vets' of this particular hobby, though I don't speak for them) would be more likely to engage in discussions of existing collectibles than of yet another blue-sky list.

amargasaurus cazaui

UH NO, there is no such thread existent that deals only in determining the figures which were made, were not made and which have a single representative. This was precisely my point had you read it a bit more closely. I did not suggest a wish list or fantasy list or some such, I suggested an actual GUIDE what is and is not made, in keeping with our recent efforts to make things as reference useful as possible. And honestly she did not say the exact purpose for determining a single model of something, in which case my question has merit wether you choose to agree or not.
  Finally the last point..a sky blue list likely is caused by a failure to make the effort to determine what figures are NOT presently in production, which might be of use to other members besides just your own self right?
  It would not have altered the thread badly to add a list of non production figures as well as ones that contain a single example. In fact were it given thought, it would be far simpler to track non existent figures, so that once one is produced it could off the missing in action list to the single or double or whatever list. Far easier as an ongoing effort, far more useful and also more appropriate for the general group of collectors as a whole rather than one single person that is finding an issue
  Even then, my suggestion was made to the thread creator to decide. And, it was posed as just that, a suggestion. I feel with as many NEW people as are joining the forum the more useful and well stated the information is here, the more all benefit. I never feel it essential to only cater to the more "vet" members of the hobby, or that things should be done a certain way to be deserving of their contributions.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 29, 2012, 03:53:12 AM
UH NO, there is no such thread existent that deals only in determining the figures which were made, were not made and which have a single representative. This was precisely my point had you read it a bit more closely. I did not suggest a wish list or fantasy list or some such, I suggested an actual GUIDE what is and is not made, in keeping with our recent efforts to make things as reference useful as possible. And honestly she did not say the exact purpose for determining a single model of something, in which case my question has merit wether you choose to agree or not.
  Finally the last point..a sky blue list likely is caused by a failure to make the effort to determine what figures are NOT presently in production, which might be of use to other members besides just your own self right?
  It would not have altered the thread badly to add a list of non production figures as well as ones that contain a single example. In fact were it given thought, it would be far simpler to track non existent figures, so that once one is produced it could off the missing in action list to the single or double or whatever list. Far easier as an ongoing effort, far more useful and also more appropriate for the general group of collectors as a whole rather than one single person that is finding an issue
  Even then, my suggestion was made to the thread creator to decide. And, it was posed as just that, a suggestion. I feel with as many NEW people as are joining the forum the more useful and well stated the information is here, the more all benefit. I never feel it essential to only cater to the more "vet" members of the hobby, or that things should be done a certain way to be deserving of their contributions.

Look, I'm not going to answer each point. We're derailed enough now, and I won't respond further in this vein, but only in the spirit of this thread.

This thread was intended, as Roselaar stated:

"I started this thread with the intent of creating a comprehensive record of species that are only represented in the realm of toys via a single known sculpt."

I read that as him looking for species that were only done as sculpts once. My only real query is what constitutes a 'sculpt'--Ambulocetus was done once (by Magister Militum) but it is a small metal figure; I have a porcelain Fevres Peloneustes as well. Do these oddballs count, or are we sticking to 'toys' figures (as intended by the manufacturer--as much as, say, Starlux is treasured now as a breakable collectible, they were produced as toys for play).  So far, I think the consensus has been that any sculpt on any reasonable level (maybe ignoring all but the best cheaposaurs) can count, but I want to know what the spirit of this thread is.

So. If we now want a list of everything that hasn't been made (a Sisyphean task, most likely) , perhaps that should be in a separate thread. That's all. My comment about 'vet' members is borne of a place that misses the conversations held with many of them over the last several years, many of whom I do not see/hear much from anymore.

Brontozaurus

Quote from: Pixelboy on August 28, 2012, 04:27:39 PM

Safari's Inostrancevia.

Not unique, the Melbourne Museum sells plush toys of that gorgonopsid. Wish I'd bought one when I was down there.

I also know of two other Caudipteryx toys. Yowie did one (they probably did the first Caudipteryx ever, come to think of it), and there was another in the Jurassic Hunters line.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Gwangi

Quote from: SBell on August 29, 2012, 05:47:51 AM
This thread was intended, as Roselaar stated:

"I started this thread with the intent of creating a comprehensive record of species that are only represented in the realm of toys via a single known sculpt."

Crap, I missed that part. In that case, I don't think I can think of anything.  :-\

Roselaar

Wow, this is getting more complicated than I thought it would be. ;D I guess the term 'company' is indeed a bit more in dispute when you take resin kits into account. However, I'd like to keep those included. And yes SBell, oddballs count: after all, we're often discussing unusual prehistoric figures that have little to do with the generic term 'dinosaur toys', even though this is the Dinosaur Toy Forum. I realize this makes the job of cataloging unique species figures a lot harder, but I'm willing to give it a go.  :)
Updated the list accordingly: from now on, all I want is a name and the company/sculptor behind it. I've decided to scrap companies making multiple figures of a species not featured anywhere else, after all, they're clearly not unique anymore in that case (should have thought of that earlier). I might ask for pictures of each unique figure later, but judging from how fast this list is growing, that's gonna be tough.
Damn, Estemmenosuchus has already been done too! Shows just how much figures are out there I know nothing about. I guess that goes for a lot of us here. Which makes it all the more convenient and necessary to have a thread like this around, eh?  ;)

-Deltadromeus    (Carnegie)
-Vagaceratops      (Wild Safari)
-Mixosaurus      (PlayVision)
-Fulgurotherium   (Yowies)
-Nanatius              (Yowies)
-Austrosaurus      (Yowies)
-Kakuru              (Yowies)
-Ozraptor              (Yowies)
-Rapator              (Yowies)
-Timimus              (Yowies)
-Atlascopcosaurus   (Yowies)
-Prenocephale      (Yowies)
-Tasmaniosaurus   (Yowies)
-Siderops              (Yowies)
-Woolungasaurus   (Yowies)
-Platypterigius      (Yowies)
-Steropodon      (Yowies)
-Kollikodon      (Yowies)
-Umoonasaurus   (Yowies)
-Mauisaurus      (Yowies)
-Rikisaurus      (Yowies)
-Imperial ammonite   (Yowies)
-Cratochelene      (Yowies)
-Deltasaurus      (Yowies)
-Dubbolimulus            (Yowies)
-Koreaceratops    (CollectA)
-Torvosaurus      (Shane Foulkes)
-Becklespinax      (CollectA)
-Proceratosaurus   (CollectA)
-Troodon              (Invicta)
-Scipionyx              (Favorite Desktop)
-Bistahieversor    (Shapeways)
-Ekrixinatosaurus    (Shapeways)
-Prognathodon           (Cliff Green)
-Australovenator   (CollectA)
-Ampelosaurus     (CollectA)
-Attenborosaurus    (CollectA)
-Keratocephalus   (Dino Wars)
-Aucasaurus      (Dino Wars)
-Monolophosaurus   (Dino Wars)
-Frenguellisaurus    (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Exaeretodon      (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Ischigualastia      (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Fasolasuchus      (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Lessemsaurus    (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Promastodonsaurus (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Leptoceratops   (Wild Safari)
-Kaprosuchus      (Wild Safari)
-Peltobatrachus   (PlayVision)
-Ambulocetus           (Magister Militum)
-Peloneustes           (Fevres)

I should maybe make a separate thread for dinosaur figures and non dinosaur figures. And I really ought to catalogue these alphabetically.
I understand Amargasaurus' desire for a thread of species not produced yet, but that's a rather Herculean task I'm not willing to undertake. I already have this list to worry about now.  ;D

SBell

I really need the time to sit down and do this, but anyway--looking at your list, as I mentioned, there is another Alioramus out there (but it's pretty terrible, so we may not want to count it...).

Also, Rader studios has a Kaprosuchus coming (or is it available now?) which gives you the extra headache--updating when something new comes along!

AND--now that two from the same company counts as two figures, it's interesting that this wipes out all of the Carnegie feathered dinos (as Safari has them all in a toob as well!).

Patrx

If we're to be including model kits, Jonathan Rader's also done a Kaprosuchus.

SBell

Quote from: Pixelboy on August 29, 2012, 03:16:00 PM

Hence, my mention of Rader Studios (I just wasn't sure, based on the website, if it is actually available or not).

amargasaurus cazaui

Had the Olorotitan by Collect A been suggested or perhaps the Tsintasaurus ? I do not own the latter, to even picture, but wondered who else has made them both.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

SBell

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on August 29, 2012, 07:55:12 PM
Had the Olorotitan by Collect A been suggested or perhaps the Tsintasaurus ? I do not own the latter, to even picture, but wondered who else has made them both.

Tsintaosaurus has been made a few times (FameMaster, COG) but I don't think Olorotitan has shown up elsewhere.

Primeval12

radman

Quote from: Pixelboy on August 29, 2012, 03:16:00 PM
As well as a very nice Aucasaurus. 

Roselaar

Quote from: primeval12 on August 29, 2012, 09:19:27 PM

where can I get that Mixosaurus?

Part of the PlayVision Prehistoric Marine Reptiles toob. Hard to find set though. Ebay?

Yup, I also need to keep track of new releases. Especially where model kits are concerned that can get tricky. I'll throw the Kaprosuchus and Aucasaurus (and the Alioramus) off the list when I get more info on them. Which is why I prefer working with pics, it's the most tangible piece of evidence of their origins to work with.  :)

SBell

Quote from: primeval12 on August 29, 2012, 09:19:27 PM
where can I get that Mixosaurus?

About 10 years ago in many stores, as a bin figure, not in toobs. Now, maybe on ebay for a lot more than reasonable (they were $1 when first available). Someone here used to have some for sale, but I don't think they do anymore.

And I did post a link to the terrible Alioramus (whether or not we want to count it is another matter...)

Roselaar

Those Marine Reptiles weren't toob figures, but sold loose instead? You learn something new every day. How about their Amphibian counterparts? I distinctly remember seeing a pot of those in an acquisitions thread on the old boards.

Okay, so exit Alioramus. Saves me some trouble when I do go after pictures of each species. :)

SBell

Quote from: Roselaar on August 29, 2012, 10:41:38 PM
Those Marine Reptiles weren't toob figures, but sold loose instead? You learn something new every day. How about their Amphibian counterparts? I distinctly remember seeing a pot of those in an acquisitions thread on the old boards.

Okay, so exit Alioramus. Saves me some trouble when I do go after pictures of each species. :)

Nope, not in toobs. I think that some sets were repackaged in window boxes as "Habitat Earth" figures, but not all of them made it.

Speaking of the PV figures:

Platyhystrix
Eogyrinus (I think)
Triadobatrachus
Peltobatrachus
Gerrothorax (already mentioned)
Prorastomus (mammal set)

Some, (Eobasileus and Palorchestes) were made twice by PV, as large and small figures.  And while they called their small sabre-tooth cat 'Smilodon' it is definitely Homotherium (based on the Dougal Dixon illustrations) so it could count as a technicality. Except that there is at least one resin model of the latter.

Roselaar

Thanks for the updates, put them on the list. And added I few myself I think are featured nowhere else. This list is sure growing fast! :)

-Deltadromeus           (Carnegie)
-Vagaceratops      (Wild Safari)
-Mixosaurus      (PlayVision)
-Fulgurotherium   (Yowies)
-Nanatius              (Yowies)
-Austrosaurus      (Yowies)
-Kakuru              (Yowies)
-Ozraptor              (Yowies)
-Rapator              (Yowies)
-Timimus              (Yowies)
-Atlascopcosaurus   (Yowies)
-Prenocephale            (Yowies)
-Tasmaniosaurus   (Yowies)
-Siderops              (Yowies)
-Woolungasaurus   (Yowies)
-Platypterigius      (Yowies)
-Steropodon      (Yowies)
-Kollikodon      (Yowies)
-Umoonasaurus   (Yowies)
-Mauisaurus      (Yowies)
-Rikisaurus      (Yowies)
-Imperial ammonite   (Yowies)
-Cratochelene      (Yowies)
-Deltasaurus      (Yowies)
-Dubbolimulus            (Yowies)
-Koreaceratops    (CollectA)
-Torvosaurus      (Shane Foulkes)
-Becklespinax      (CollectA)
-Proceratosaurus   (CollectA)
-Troodon              (Invicta)
-Scipionyx              (Favorite Desktop)
-Bistahieversor      (Shapeways)
-Ekrixinatosaurus    (Shapeways)
-Prognathodon           (Cliff Green)
-Australovenator   (CollectA)
-Ampelosaurus           (CollectA)
-Attenborosaurus    (CollectA)
-Keratocephalus   (Dino Wars)
-Aucasaurus      (Dino Wars)
-Monolophosaurus   (Dino Wars)
-Frenguellisaurus    (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Exaeretodon      (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Ischigualastia      (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Fasolasuchus      (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Lessemsaurus    (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Promastodonsaurus (Dawn of the Dinos)
-Leptoceratops   (Wild Safari)
-Kaprosuchus      (Wild Safari)
-Peltobatrachus   (PlayVision)
-Ambulocetus           (Magister Militum)
-Peloneustes         (Fevres)
-Platyhystrix       (PlayVision)
-Eogyrinus       (PlayVision)
-Triadobatrachus   (PlayVision)
-Gerrothorax       (PlayVision)
-Prorastomus       (PlayVision)
-Olorotitan       (CollectA)
-Hydrotherosaurus    (CollectA)
-Dakosaurus       (Wild Safari toob)
-Leptopterygius     (Bullyland)
-Rhomaleosaurus    (CollectA Deluxe)
-Orthacanthus            (Wild Safari toob)
-Helicoprion       (Wild Safari toob)
-Sarcoprion       (Wild Safari toob)
-Hemicyclaspis      (Kaiyodo)
-Axelrodichthys    (Kaiyodo)
-Scaphanorhynchus  (Wild Safari toob)
-Edestus                (Wild Safari toob)
-Bothriolepis       (Kaiyodo)
-Anurognathus    (Character Toys (Primeval line))
-Hatzegopteryx    (Collecta)
-Copepteryx       (Kaiyodo)
-Kelenken       (CollectA Deluxe)

SBell

I'm going to try to keep this straight:

Troodon was made with a Micro Machines set.

Dakosaurus was made by APII as part of an I Dig Sea Monsters kit (it might be able to stay, though, as I don't think it was released, maybe someone else out there actually got one before the company imploded?)

Helicoprion was made by Yowies and by APII (from an 'I Dig Sharks kit'; I own the latter)

Scapanorhynchus and Orthacanthus were made by APII (, same Sharks set; I have them as well, so I know that line came out, briefly).

Bothriolepis and Cephalaspis are both available from RazH00 on shapeways.

Again, I think I've almost got my list together--I just want to edit out the ones already covered (and confirm the ones that are there).

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.