News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Figures by "Wild Past" (Updated 15.01.2020)

Started by DinoToyCollector, February 25, 2019, 08:46:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyCollector

I decided to post all the public known information on this project in this very first post and will update it asap.

Figures from Wild Past
Scale: All figures are in scale 1/35 up to animals within a 2,00m range (else they would be too tiny)
Material: Soft plastic

Wave 1:
Protoceratops with nest
current state: Figures ready
Preorder here if your are from the USA: http://stores.dansdinosaurs.com/protoceratops-by-wild-past/
Or order direct via PM for EU/Rest of world (all costs shown here: https://www.ebay.de/itm/Wild-Past-WP-0101-1-35-Protoceratops-Nest-Dinosaurier-Figur/324040220069)
Spoiler
[close]

Majungasaurus
current state: model near finished, paint job adjustments, negotiations with supplier. Waiting for the release of the Protoceratops.
Spoiler
[close]

Tethyshadros pair
current state: models ready, paint job is done, waiting for the Protoceratops to go on.
Spoiler

[close]

What's next?
There are some good models in the pipeline. All of there fates depends on the first three figures.
Plateosaurus
Spoiler
[close]
Emausaurus young & adult
Spoiler
[close]
Big Theropod
Spoiler
I don't want you to hype too much with a picture of a model that may not be released.
[close]
a lot of very cool ideas and models already finished  ;)

And here's the original post:

After playing around with Blender and ZBrush, I wanted to introduce you to my WIP Protoceratops.
It's my first attempt and I'm preparing it right now for 3D printing (the details need to be adjusted to keep a lot of printability).
Now I'm still interested in your opinion. Are there things I overlook or are completely wrong (from a scientific point of view)?

Shonisaurus

As far as I'm concerned, I think it's a paleoartistic representation of the protoceratops genius. I do not understand paleontology but it looks very good. By the way, what material are you going to make this kind of ceraptoside? I mention it to you because I'm interested in PVC or vinyl figures.

Patrx

Mostly, it looks pretty good to me! You might consider changing the orientation of the hands, they should be rotated more outward than forward. Note in particular the right hand in this reconstruction.

It may help to think of ceratopsids as bipedal dinosaurs which sort of haphazardly became quadrupedal. With this in mind, it might also be worthwhile to bulk up the hindlimb musculature in your model, particularly the calves.

Talking of hindlimbs, the amazingly well-reasoned reconstruction of Psittacosaurus by Bob Nichols includes hindlimb patagia, soft tissue membranes, observed in at least one fossil specimen. This might be something to think about including in some way, too, since the two animals are reasonably close relatives.

spinosaurus1

wonderful work. i agree with the post above. the wrist and hands should be facing more outward. and the calves can certainly benefit from a bit more girth. otherwise an amazing reconstruction of the beast.

DinoToyCollector

Thank you avatar_Patrx @Patrx  for this in-depth analysis.
I have seen the hand position in most reconstructions but for some reason I completely ignored this fact. This may also explain why I had so many problems placing the hands properly without breaking bones.
I'll definitely change my hands and calves too. However, I'm unsure about the patagia. Yes, that's a feature of the Psittacosaurus, but for me the two species are quite far apart, and while there are many fossils and species of Psittacosaurus, I see the Psittacosaurus line as a dead end (at the moment, maybe something new will be). I will try it out to see how it works, but I think I leave it at artistic freedom that I still have in this regard :)
But again many thanks!

The plan is to make the figure in a material, such as the Schleich, Bullyland, Papo, CollectA (...) figures. So I think it would be interesting for you  ;)

Shonisaurus

Tyto_Theropod

I might also be interested. Depending on the scale it would definitely look good alongside my immense accumulation of Velociraptors.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Patrx

Quote from: DinoToyCollector on February 26, 2019, 05:20:03 AM
Thank you Patrx for this in-depth analysis.
You bet! I quite like little ceratopsians like Protoceratops. Depending upon what happens with this model, I'd potentially be interested in collecting a copy myself.

Shonisaurus

I'm interested in the protoceratops you have in the avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector  project. The UKRD and those of Safari still seem insufficient in my collection considering that it is one of the best known dinosaurs in the paleontological record and most importantly, unfortunately very little represented in the toy market "the sheep of the Cretaceous" should be better represented is a dinosaur that is needed to be done justice for its importance in the history of the Science of Paleontology.

DinoToyCollector

I tried to implement the suggestions for improvement. The hands now look much more natural. From this perspective maybe a bit clunky. Thanks again for the hint avatar_Patrx @Patrx !

I am already negotiating on which conditions the figure can be created. There are already offers that satisfy me. The figure will be made of soft plastic (PVC) and will be fully painted and conform to CE standards. If everything goes well with this figure, then there will definitely be more to follow.

I would like to make models that are accessible to everyone. Especially the protoceratops, as avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus mentioned, needs more presence among the toy figures.

Tyto_Theropod

The hands definitely look better like this, but I'd suggest putting some flesh/membrane round the outer digits. They look a bit fragile and twig-like as they are.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Shonisaurus

I'm excited with this protoceratops figure and also PVC! well painted can be your avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector  works a serious competition to the rest of brands. We are living the golden age of the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric toy animals. Before there were only a few companies that made prehistoric animals (at most three), now there is a huge variety. I hope you are lucky and you already know you have a safe buyer of your sculptures. I love prehistory.  ^-^

acro-man

It looks all just fine to me.
It's one of the best I've seen.

However, the reference Patrx provided suggests a more alien like look, given that protoceratops have a ridiculously big head.
It would be funnier to see it in your sculpt

Keep it up!
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

DinoToyCollector

Quote from: Shonisaurus on February 28, 2019, 07:59:31 AM
I'm excited with this protoceratops figure and also PVC! well painted can be your avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector  works a serious competition to the rest of brands. We are living the golden age of the figures of dinosaurs and prehistoric toy animals. Before there were only a few companies that made prehistoric animals (at most three), now there is a huge variety. I hope you are lucky and you already know you have a safe buyer of your sculptures. I love prehistory.  ^-^

Please keep expectations to a normal level, since these are the first steps and a lot of things can go wrong  ;) But in general, I'm more of an optimist than a pessimist. And thanks for the support. It always helps doing such things :)

Protoceratops actually had a relatively massive skull compared to the rest of the skeleton. But when the "standard" soft tissue is added to the skeleton, the relation of the size of the skull quickly changes to this of the rest of the body.

In the models (you will see more in the future), I try to stay close to the "reality": dinosaurs were real animals, they do not need any alien-like features to look incredible IMO... but "maybe" they had some strange features... who knows   ::)
I know, it was not meant to be that serious, but there's an extra big skull picture for you here:

acro-man

well that's a truly scary huge head I hadn't expected...
喜欢收集和P图
QQ: 909772216
Email: [email protected]
DeviantArt: www.deviantart.com/acro-man/

Killekor

What a nice model avatar_DinoToyCollector @DinoToyCollector ! I have some questions about it:
-how big it will be?
-what paint scheme are you thinking to use for it?

If it will be a bit bigger than the Schleich Animantarx I'll certainly get it! From what I see it will be the best Protoceratops toy ever made.
I usually think that in this is a bad year to produce a ceratopsian with the advent of the BotM line, but this Protoceratops for me it's the only ceratopsian toy better than the BotM one, at least looking at the concept art of the latter.

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

DinoToyCollector

Hey avatar_Killekor @Killekor ,

I'm still working on the color scheme. I'm experimenting with three colors, but I'm far from satisfied (but I like the head). see below. I also like to receive suggestions on the colors.

Now for the size and I think that will be more interesting:
I (We, to be exact) want to focus on one scale at the beginning. This scale is 1:35. Not 1:40 and not bigger. That is, the Protoceratops is comparable in size to the ... Rebor Triceratops Hazelnut or more precisely: about 7cm or 2+3/4 inch.
Why a protoceratops in 1:35? First reason: there are too few small species that are represented on this scale. The scale 1:35 offers the possibility to represent many different species in a uniform way, from very small to quite large.
So far, a lover can have such figures made or ordered via 3D printing services, but the price often deters many, and these are also without painting. The Protoceratops will be among the smallest figures in the pipeline.
Financially, this figure is certainly not very profitable and is more of an introduction to this business and I have learned a lot lately. If everything goes well, I'm looking forward to the upcoming models. Since I will initially only produce a few pieces for financial security, the price per figure will initially be comparable to those of Rebor's smallest figures.

And now a look into the future:
Since there are many interesting dinosaur species that are much smaller than a Protoceratops, I can well imagine to make another uniform scale for these figures, of which this protoceratops figure would be the greatest ... But let's start with this one figure and then see how it goes on. Maybe i will release this Protoceratops in a larger scale by popular demand.

Shonisaurus

You can have the conviction that I will be a safe buyer. On the other hand I celebrate that it is a protoceratops on a smaller scale like the triceratops Rebor breeding. I understand that you have to first look for yourself and if it is profitable to market these products, you should not risk money and it is better as you say first experiment if those figures are sold and then perhaps make a bigger figure of protoceratops. Totally agree with you. On the other hand if you sell that figure, I would beg you to send me a PM to reserve it. PVC figures of dinosaurs are for me the coolest of the market and I celebrate that you want to make dinosaur figures with that material.

Killekor

Quote from: DinoToyCollector on March 15, 2019, 04:32:09 PM
Hey avatar_Killekor @Killekor ,

I'm still working on the color scheme. I'm experimenting with three colors, but I'm far from satisfied (but I like the head). see below. I also like to receive suggestions on the colors.

Now for the size and I think that will be more interesting:
I (We, to be exact) want to focus on one scale at the beginning. This scale is 1:35. Not 1:40 and not bigger. That is, the Protoceratops is comparable in size to the ... Rebor Triceratops Hazelnut or more precisely: about 7cm or 2+3/4 inch.
Why a protoceratops in 1:35? First reason: there are too few small species that are represented on this scale. The scale 1:35 offers the possibility to represent many different species in a uniform way, from very small to quite large.
So far, a lover can have such figures made or ordered via 3D printing services, but the price often deters many, and these are also without painting. The Protoceratops will be among the smallest figures in the pipeline.
Financially, this figure is certainly not very profitable and is more of an introduction to this business and I have learned a lot lately. If everything goes well, I'm looking forward to the upcoming models. Since I will initially only produce a few pieces for financial security, the price per figure will initially be comparable to those of Rebor's smallest figures.

And now a look into the future:
Since there are many interesting dinosaur species that are much smaller than a Protoceratops, I can well imagine to make another uniform scale for these figures, of which this protoceratops figure would be the greatest ... But let's start with this one figure and then see how it goes on. Maybe i will release this Protoceratops in a larger scale by popular demand.

Thanks for the answer!
About the color scheme, I personally think that the best of the 3 color schemes is the first. It has a cleaner paint job, which is better looking especially considering the small size of the figure.
I understand your choice of making a mini figure, although I'm not really fond of it. Maybe I'll buy one anyway, maybe not, it all depends from the price.
Anyways I can't wait to see what you'll do next.

Good luck!!!
Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

Halichoeres

I like the idea of a truly tiny Protoceratops! Hasn't been one since the old Carnegie model with nest.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.