News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

stonecarving

Started by brontosauruschuck, February 27, 2019, 05:44:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

Can you think of any paleoartists who do stonecarving?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Probably not what your thinking but I do have a one carved in soapstone and some smaller stone dinos.

Tyto_Theropod

I used to have a little soapstone sauropod, which I'd bought at a museum shop. It was rather cartoony, with a dragging tail and a goofy expression. Sadly it broke a while back and I couldn't repair it. :(
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Tyto_Theropod on February 27, 2019, 11:21:13 PM
I used to have a little soapstone sauropod, which I'd bought at a museum shop. It was rather cartoony, with a dragging tail and a goofy expression. Sadly it broke a while back and I couldn't repair it. :(

soapstone is very fragile unfortunately.

amargasaurus cazaui

a lot would depend on how you define stonecarving  I make spheres for instance...basically ground from stone or carved using diamond heads..  I know someone who makes knives for instance from stones.....I know of a man in Colorado who carves entire dinosaur figures from dinosaur bone as well
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

brontosauruschuck

I'm thinking big, both literally and figuratively.

I grew up kind of near Mt.Shasta, and there's a lot of people in the city of Mt.Shasta who are really into crystal healing. There are seriously more crystal shops than gas stations in Mt.Shasta. I had this idea that I was toying with to commission a Shastasaurus be carved out of the kind of crystals that the new age people like and display it as public art. I'm just trying to put my feelers out to see if that would be even remotely possible at this point.

Tyto_Theropod

Quote from: amargasaurus cazaui on February 28, 2019, 02:34:53 AM
a lot would depend on how you define stonecarving  I make spheres for instance...basically ground from stone or carved using diamond heads..  I know someone who makes knives for instance from stones.....I know of a man in Colorado who carves entire dinosaur figures from dinosaur bone as well

That is undeniably cool. Dinosaurs made from actual dead dinosaurs, as opposed to dead plants. ;)

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on February 28, 2019, 03:57:00 AM
I'm thinking big, both literally and figuratively.

I grew up kind of near Mt.Shasta, and there's a lot of people in the city of Mt.Shasta who are really into crystal healing. There are seriously more crystal shops than gas stations in Mt.Shasta. I had this idea that I was toying with to commission a Shastasaurus be carved out of the kind of crystals that the new age people like and display it as public art. I'm just trying to put my feelers out to see if that would be even remotely possible at this point.

My local crystal shop sells (or at least used to sell) little carved crystal figures of animals and I believe I have seen some cartoony, Godzilla-like dinosaur figures among the selection. It's been a while since I went in that shop, so I can't be sure. I bought some of these figures a few years ago for their aesthetic appeal, but apart from two owls and a swan none of my personal collection are dinosaurs!
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.