News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Linde Figures

Started by Bokisaurus, September 02, 2012, 06:21:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bokisaurus

Time for another dose of oldies but goodies set of prehistoric figures. This time it's Linde's turn on the spotlight.  Released in the 1950's, the set was part of Linde's premium giveaway for their coffee (or some sort of substitute?), very much like the Nabisco figures. I'm not sure how long distribution or production was for this line.
There are eight figures in the set:
Anklyosaurus

"Brontosaurus"

Dimetrodon

Rhamphorhynchus - I don't have it
Spenecodon

Stegosaurus

Triceratops

and of course T-Rex

All were species that were standard and popular around that time (Marx, Ajax, etc.). They are very similar in size and style to the Marx set.
Of the species, both the spenecodon and the flying reptile Rhamphorynchus enjoyed popularity as toy figure subject at that time, but fell from favor in later years. The material used is a type of waxy plastic, and comes in marbled olive-color (although highly variable, some more brown or green), again very much like some of the Marx figures.
The figures contain some surprisingly good ones. The dimetrodon is ahead for its time and is one of the best (and my favorite) and goes well with the Invicta figure. The pterosaur Rhamphorhyncus is the rarest, most sought after, and commands the highest price (when it comes up in auctions). To date, this figure had eluded any of my attempts to acquire it. It is the only one from the series I don't have.
So, if you have a soft spot for vintage figures, this collection of eight Linde figures is definitely worth acquiring.  Except for the Rhamphorhnchus, all the others in the set can easily be found on ebay at a reasonable price.

CityRaptor

Looks like those are based on the "Age of Reptiles" aswell, explaining why they are so similar to the Marx ones in style and choice of species.  But as far as likeness goes, those look far closer to the animals depicted in the mural than the Marx ones.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

amargasaurus cazaui

AHA  @ stegotyrannus there....those things are actually really nice, with the retro look they have, especially the heavily visible casting lines and out of date styles, and even marbled plastic colors.
Authors with varying competence have suggested dinosaurs disappeared because of meteorites...God's will, raids by little green hunters in flying saucers, lack of standing room in Noah's Ark, and palaeoweltschmerz—Glenn Jepsen

Libraraptor

Nobs

That dimetrodon has a fun little smirk on his face....also it looks like he has a beak!
There is something strange about the triceratops horns...

mnemosaurus

Ah, the Linde figures are really great :D

I also love the marbled colours, sometimes they are more light and greenish, sometimes more dark and reddish. For that reason I'm deliberatlely keeping some doubles (which I normally don't do), because they have such a different appearrance. Wonderful figures!

I'll add this picture of the Linde Rhamphorynchus (left), next to a Marx Pterandon.

Ikessauro

Great models, specially the non-dinos. I always planned to get them, but I end up forgetting them every time.

Bokisaurus

Quote from: mnemosaurus on September 17, 2012, 05:46:37 PM

I also love the marbled colours, sometimes they are more light and greenish, sometimes more dark and reddish. For that reason I'm deliberatlely keeping some doubles (which I normally don't do), because they have such a different appearrance. Wonderful figures!

I'll add this picture of the Linde Rhamphorynchus (left), next to a Marx Pterandon.

Thanks for adding the pics, its' a beautiful figure! I hope to one day acquire it :)

Libraraptor

Quote from: Bokisaurus on September 19, 2012, 06:43:30 AM
Quote from: mnemosaurus on September 17, 2012, 05:46:37 PM

Thanks for adding the pics, its' a beautiful figure! I hope to one day acquire it :)

I can´t imagin this to be soo hard. Are they really that rare?! :-\

stoneage

Roselaar

Still missing the Rex and Ankylosaurus myself. Was lucky enough to pick up the other six, including the Rhamphorhynchus and an extra Dimetrodon, Sphenacodon and Triceratops, at a Queensday flea market for only 2 euros total. God, I love Queensday! :)

Blackdanter

I'm in agreement with Libra on these and so shamelessly reboot this thread.  :) I adore them and have extreme trouble in parting with duplicates as the marbling colouration is so variable. Of all of the vintage monochrome ranges, these are my favourites with perhaps the Danone figures coming in a close second.  ;)

I have only one example of the Rampho but here's the extent of the others in my collection:

Tyrannosaurus Rex

Ankylosaurus

Dimetrodon

Sphenacodon

Stegosaurus

Brontosaurus

Triceratops

docronnie

Do they have any identifying marks? I might have tossed them aside during my toy hunts. 

Thanks for sharing!  :)
Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Blackdanter

Quote from: docronnie on July 17, 2014, 11:20:27 AM
Do they have any identifying marks? I might have tossed them aside during my toy hunts. 

Thanks for sharing!  :)

Doc, they're all marked 'Linde' and the name of the animal. They were originally issued in the 1950's in Austria in the colour ranges I have but they were reissued in Austria in the 1990's to coincide with JP but those are all flat primary colours like MPC dinosaurs. Those ones are really rare. All of mine came from Austria where they pop up relatively frequently. They also pop up in Germany but elsewhere they're probably tougher to find. I think I've only seen them once or twice on UK Ebay and that was another forum member selling them. Bearing in mind the vintage of these things and that they're often found with chewed bits, I probably would be loathe to toss them aside if they're in good condition!  :))

Roselaar

Am I glad I found a bunch of them - including the Rhamphorhynchus - for only 2 euros on a flea market. Would have been better even if the Ankylosaurus and T-Rex were also among them, instead of duplicates of the others. But I take whatever I can get (cheaply)! :)

So how rare is the Rhamph compared to the others exactly?

Crackington

And what kind of size are they? A little hard to tell from the photos.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Crackington on July 19, 2014, 12:03:48 PM

The Rex is roughly the same size as the Marx Allosaurus. The Dimetrodon is similar to the Invicta one in size. They are all in that ball park area size wise.

Blackdanter

Quote from: Roselaar on July 17, 2014, 11:08:28 PM
Am I glad I found a bunch of them - including the Rhamphorhynchus - for only 2 euros on a flea market. Would have been better even if the Ankylosaurus and T-Rex were also among them, instead of duplicates of the others. But I take whatever I can get (cheaply)! :)

So how rare is the Rhamph compared to the others exactly?

That was a lucky break Roselaar.

The Rhamphorynchus is quite scarce but does pop up every now and then. It's one of those figures that you tend to get outbid on with some frequency. I eventually bought a whole set in order to get the Rhamph for pretty much what it sells for on it's own! They can sell for between £15 - £30. I'm not sure why they're rarer than the other figures. As far as I know the figures were issued individually or in bagged sets (like the Linde wild animals), perhaps the Rhamph wasn't included in the bagged sets?

Crackington

Quote from: Blackdanter on July 19, 2014, 02:19:46 PM
Quote from: Crackington on July 19, 2014, 12:03:48 PM

The Rex is roughly the same size as the Marx Allosaurus. The Dimetrodon is similar to the Invicta one in size. They are all in that ball park area size wise.

Thanks Blackdanter, they're about the same size then as the figures I tend to go for (i.e. small!).

Will keep an eye out for them.

docronnie

Thanks a lot,  Blackdanter, for all the useful infos! 😊

Keep The Magic Alive and Kicking! :-)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.