News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

McFarlane Toys Game Of Thrones/House Of The Dragon Dragon Figures

Started by Over9K, April 13, 2019, 03:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

I was stunned to be able to grab the McFarlane Toys Game Of Thrones Viserion dragon figure from my local Target today, and man I LOVE IT! The detail is fantastic, and the figure feels like it's priced right at $25. Stretched to full length, Viserion is 9 inches long, with a 16 inch wingspan.

There are 11 points of articulation. The neck articulates right behind the head, 1/3rd down the neck, and right where the neck meets the main body, the wings "flap" and rotate in their sockets, the legs articulate at the hip, and the tail has 4 points of articulation, starting right at the root, making roughly equal segments.

The paint application is very nice, and consistent across the entire figure, presenting Viserion in his Ice Dragon coloration. Inside the mouth is a dark red tongue, and his eyes flash a bright ice blue. His overall coloring is blueish grey over slate grey.

I was surprised to find that the wings are nicely translucent, with light passing through quite well, though it was nearly impossible to take a photo of this effect.

The figure comes with two accessories, a blue "ice blast" effect part, very similar in sculpt and texture to the NECA effect parts for the Goji atomic breath effects, that slots into a port inside Viserion's mouth, and a stand which consists of an snowy base, and a 9" metal rod, with a ball joint at the top, which mates to the belly of the beast. As you see the figure posed in these photos, it is 14" from the table to the tips of the wings.

This is my first McFarlane Toys purchase in quite some time, and I'm pretty impressed with this one. I can't think of a better dragon, let alone a Game Of Thrones dragon, available at the moment. I've wanted a dragon action figure for 38 years, from the moment I saw Vermithrax Pejorative in Disney/Paramount's Dragonslayer. THIS is that figure I've waited so long for. The overall presentation is, in my opinion, better than the NECA stuff I've experienced. If this indicative of the typical quality of McFarlane Toys at this point, things are good in Spawnville.

Looking at the Drogon figure, he's unfortunately in an earthbound pose, and I'm not sure I'll be getting him, but I have hopes that they'll do a Rhaegal in another flying pose. If that does happen, I will definitely be getting him.

I'm already thinking of getting another Viserion to try my hand at a repaint. I highly recommend Viserion, for dragon fans, and Game Of Thrones fans alike.

Syndicate Bias

I was waiting for Amazon till May since theyre also priced at 25 but you just gave me the answer. Thank you

To target!

Silvanusaurus

Are the neck, tail and hips articulated with ball joints or swivels?

mgaguilar

Yeah! I'm on the same Amazon waitlist!

Looks like it's totally worth it for $25! How are the details? Whenever I see this thing, it's always from far away.

Over9K

Quote from: Silvanusaurus on April 13, 2019, 08:06:19 PM

The hips are swivels, they just rotate forward and back. The main tail joint is a balljoint/swivel combination, so that it can rotate through the x, y and z axis'. The rest of the tail joints seem to just twist around the central axis of the tail, they don't articulate laterally, or tilt. The tip of the tail does have a bit of tilt. The head and the first neck joint are balls, tilt and pan, but not very far, because of the size of the figure, and the horns on Viserion's head, and the spikes on his neck interacting. The Main neck joint is a swivel.

Over9K

Quote from: mgaguilar on April 13, 2019, 09:27:28 PM
Yeah! I'm on the same Amazon waitlist!

Looks like it's totally worth it for $25! How are the details? Whenever I see this thing, it's always from far away.

I think they details are really amazing considering the scale. I've tried to take some close-ups with my phone, but so much of the fine details get washed out. Hopefully you'll get a good idea of the level of work that went into this figure. There are veins in the wings, so many scales and striations on the tail and the neck, the body is nicely scaled, the teeth present very nicely, almost appearing separately sculpted. The figure is beautifully done, IMO.

Shadowknight1

I haven't watched past the first season of Game of Thrones, though I can't avoid spoilers for all of it any more THANKS WORLD, but that is an excellent dragon figure.  Definitely beats that $50+ Smaug that came out around the time of The Hobbit.  Might see what the other two look like for people in person cause of limited space.  Especially because of limited space when it would come to Viserion, that wing span!!!
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Over9K

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on April 13, 2019, 11:45:38 PM
I haven't watched past the first season of Game of Thrones, though I can't avoid spoilers for all of it any more THANKS WORLD, but that is an excellent dragon figure.  Definitely beats that $50+ Smaug that came out around the time of The Hobbit.  Might see what the other two look like for people in person cause of limited space.  Especially because of limited space when it would come to Viserion, that wing span!!!

The height of the stand helps, getting him above shorter stuff on the shelf, and you can pose the wings in an "up flap" configuration, which would narrow the span too...

stargatedalek

Has there been a live version made for Viserion? He's my favorite of the three dragons, but I don't know if I'd be interested in this zombie version.

Syndicate Bias

You just reminded me how people called Viscerion an Ice Dragon now even though in the books it's clearly stated that I've Dragons come from the far up North and are literally made of Ice and are 3 times bigger than the Valerian Dragons. And can kill 3 with one shot.

Gwangi

I was at Target today but didn't see this guy. What department was he in? I looked around the NECA area thinking it would be there.

Syndicate Bias

Gwangi

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 14, 2019, 02:57:31 AM
Not all Targets were created equally...

You're telling me. Mine never got any of the Jurassic Park Funko pops, not even the Target exclusives.

stargatedalek

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 14, 2019, 01:57:08 AM
You just reminded me how people called Viscerion an Ice Dragon now even though in the books it's clearly stated that I've Dragons come from the far up North and are literally made of Ice and are 3 times bigger than the Valerian Dragons. And can kill 3 with one shot.
It's also been confirmed that his breath attack is blue fire, and not ice magic of some sort. The only thing "ice" about him is his new colour scheme (and backstory I suppose :'().

Over9K

Quote from: Gwangi on April 14, 2019, 02:34:12 AM
I was at Target today but didn't see this guy. What department was he in? I looked around the NECA area thinking it would be there.

It was in the NECA section. I was checking out the Godzillas and looked down and there he was... I was like "Hello, what are you doing down there?" *YOINK!*

Over9K

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on April 14, 2019, 01:57:08 AM

I didn't read the books. A few places advertise this as the "Ice Dragon Viserion", I'm not sure if that's a McFarlane thing or not.

https://www.bigbadtoystore.com/Product/VariationDetails/83610

ITdactyl

Thanks for sharing avatar_Over9K @Over9K ... I've been on the fence over which version of the GoT dragons to get... The statues are budget killers... the Pop versions are too cute.  This is a good option.

On the topic of Viserion being called an ice dragon:
QuoteBut then a stranger sound comes from the north. Tormund looks to the sky, and sees a mote on the horizon, coming in fast.

Very fast.

It's moving so fast we don't get a clear look at it or the NIGHT KING on its back before it is upon us...

EXT. EASTWATCH, NORTH SIDE OF THE WALL

...hitting the Wall with a blast of blue flame.

Bran's meaningful birds take flight.

A massive chunk of the Wall breaks free ahead of Tormund. The ice dragon glides away, and we get our first clear look at him, and at the Night King on his back. He's done the same thing to Viserion that he did to Craster's sons. Only those were babies, and this is a dragon.

This was the chunk of the published script for s7 (from page 62 here: https://www.emmys.com/sites/default/files/collateral/118%20Game%20Of%20Thrones%20-%20The%20Dragon%20and%20the%20Wolf.pdf ).  The writers called him an "ice dragon" regardless of the ice dragon lore established by George R.R. Martin.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Over9K on April 13, 2019, 10:19:42 PM
Quote from: Silvanusaurus on April 13, 2019, 08:06:19 PM

The hips are swivels, they just rotate forward and back. The main tail joint is a balljoint/swivel combination, so that it can rotate through the x, y and z axis'. The rest of the tail joints seem to just twist around the central axis of the tail, they don't articulate laterally, or tilt. The tip of the tail does have a bit of tilt. The head and the first neck joint are balls, tilt and pan, but not very far, because of the size of the figure, and the horns on Viserion's head, and the spikes on his neck interacting. The Main neck joint is a swivel.

Thanks!

cooksonia

Nice figure. Reminds me of Vermithrax Pejorative from Dragon Slayer

Dobber

I got mine today as well. It was from BBTS. I agree with the reviewer it's a gorgeous little figure. The articulation is somewhat limited inspite of all the joints. Mainly limited to a cruising look or a vertical attack position. The coming  Drogon does NOT look nearly as good as this figure so far. I too hope they all, including a living Viseron, are made to this standard or better.

Chris
My customized CollectA feathered T-Rex
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=4326.0

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.