News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

McFarlane Toys Game Of Thrones/House Of The Dragon Dragon Figures

Started by Over9K, April 13, 2019, 03:39:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Over9K

Quote from: Dobber on April 20, 2019, 09:09:57 PM
I got mine today as well. It was from BBTS. I agree with the reviewer it's a gorgeous little figure... *snip*

Chris

Be aware... the wings will sag pretty quick, if you leave them posed in the up, or outward aspect.

I'm exploring options for stiffening them, because I really want to be able to display the figure with the wings out...

Over9K

I found that my local Walmart got a whole bunch of these in stock, so I grabbed another one and really got to pondering the problem with the soft wings, experimenting with the first one I got at Target. I really wanted to be able to find a display pose that showed off the really great wings McFarlane gave the figure.

After staring at it for a few days, I came up with this. I figured out the wings only sag downward. If you flip the figure upside down, the wings won't sag upward. So, if you can get the wings vertical, or slightly to the over-vertical, gravity is pulling them "upward".

I had to modify the the spot where the figure connects to the stand, a bit of clearance relief with an exacto knife, and I used a bit of Blue-Tac mounting putty on the top of the stand to get it to stay there, but it's on there. I also weighted the stand, by filling the bottom of it with Blue-Tac.

The wings on this figure are so cool, very translucent, it's great to be able to see them on full display.

Syndicate Bias

just got mine im in love with it! I left my wings at mid flight and theyre drooping now due to the kinda warm weather here  :P

Flaffy

Is McFarlane doing a Rhaegal figure?
Would be nice seeing a living dragon that isn't in Drogon's horrible pose. I personally won't mind a retooled Viserion with patched up wings, and slightly different leg poses.

Over9K

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on June 18, 2019, 06:34:31 AM
just got mine im in love with it! I left my wings at mid flight and theyre drooping now due to the kinda warm weather here  :P

Put them in mid-stroke, and flip him on his back, leave him a couple days and they'll flatten right back out. I found that if you use the hair dryer, they flatten out, but they sag again very quickly. Allowing them to return to flat at room temp prolongs the sag when you pose it again.

Over9K

Quote from: Flaffy on June 18, 2019, 07:13:53 AM
Is McFarlane doing a Rhaegal figure?
Would be nice seeing a living dragon that isn't in Drogon's horrible pose. I personally won't mind a retooled Viserion with patched up wings, and slightly different leg poses.

I saw the Drogon at Target and was very disappointed, so I left him there. I very much hope they do a Flying Rheagal with the idea of having the wings outstretched like the Drogon, so they're stiffer than Viserion's... we shall see...

Over9K

BTW... almost two months later, and no sag in the vertical pose...

AcroSauroTaurus

Got Viserion yesterday, I am very impressed with the wingspan and the overall sculpt. No jaw articulation is a little disappointing, but at least theres a fire accessory.
I am the Dinosaur King!

Over9K

McFarlane Toys is releasing two new dragons this coming November, a Viserion reissue in a "In Life" paint scheme...

... and a Rheagal, which is I believe a slight retooling of the Drogon figure...

Here is the Drogon for comparison...

Flaffy

Definitely gonna get that Viserion. Hope the droopy wings and other QC issues seen on the previous icy Viserion has been fixed for this version.

As for Rhaegal... IF he doesn't have permanent pegs on his legs, and if his wings can actually be articulated into different poses that doesn't look entirely awkward, I might pick him up as well. But I still have low hopes for this one, after what Mcfarlane did to Drogon.

Overall, both look better than Drogon. Hope the final mass produced figures can match the promo-shot paint schemes.

Over9K

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

AcroSauroTaurus

No specific thread for dragon figures, but I'm sure this thread will do.
I got the McFarlane Syrax and Caraxes this week, no out of box pictures since I don't have room for them right now, unfortunately.
Syrax

Caraxes
I am the Dinosaur King!

Blade-of-the-Moon

I picked them up from Best Buy  I think last month? Haven't opened them yet either due to lack of space. I believe I posted about it in the monster thread?

https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=10426.msg340527#msg340527

SBell

Those were supposed to release in April... obviously delayed. I had some on order for the bookstore and we're still waiting...

AcroSauroTaurus

I am the Dinosaur King!

Blade-of-the-Moon

Nice! I have it and the Hungarian Horntail on order from Amazon, keeps getting pushed back though. If I find them in the wild I'll buy them there.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.