News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

A look back to when collecting Dino-Riders was a thing.

Started by Tylosaurus, May 01, 2018, 02:43:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tylosaurus

Hey all :)

Earlier today I kind of had memories from what it was like when collecting Dino-riders toys are a major thing.
Also long before use DR fans merged with the DTF forums, our old forum can be seen here:
http://dinoridersmessageboard.yuku.com
That old place seems to be removed as of now.

The thing I enjoyed most was seeing all the diorama's DR collectors made and had, there were some very cool ones around.
So with this topic I am hoping to review a few of these collections, if not all and how they look like today.

Earlier this afternoon I sent an email to Ted Neos the owner of the DR website, so he can update my old gallery there, kinda miss talking with Ted as well, he and I were friends since I was the first to have my collection uploaded to his website many years back.
He really helped me complete my collection, also by helping me find missing pieces and such, but also talking about never seen before things and yeah I miss that a huge lot.

Here the page for the Dino-Riders Collection Galleries:
http://www.dinoridersworld.com/fanfare-collections.html

So with this thread I am hoping to bring back memories that us Dino-Riders Collectors experienced and what were your best finds during your collecting days of Dino Riders based toys?
My best day was when I saved up 22 weeks for the Brontosaurus with Serena Ace & Ion.
I used to collect aluminum cans from beaches and garbage bins and bring these cans to the Aluminum recycling companies to trade the metals in to money did this 22 weeks long saved up a good 165 Australian Dollars and bought the DR Brontosaurs at World of Toys in Perth Western Australia back on July 26 of 1989, especially carrying that 1 meter (3.3 feet) long box around as a little guy was so amazing it felt godlike in many ways...
This is  the one thing I will never ever forget and then other kids look at it as in wow did you just BUY that!!!! hah!  ;D :))

That were great yet golden times and here it stands within my completed DR collection:

Hereby I look forward to your replies and reactions  8)

Lanthanotus

Woah, my greatest respect for that wonderfull idea and strong-willed and patient approach on buying that monster of a toy. There's definetly worse places in the world to collect garbage than WA beaches (been there, want to go again), but I can hardly imagine the ammount of cans one needs to collect to save up that much money.

I never was a DR collector but sure admired the figures, though they were financially out of my reach and my parents would never had jumped in on such things. However, the toy that got my greatest attention was the Pterosaur (I did not care for the equipment or human/aline figures). As that luckily was the smallest set in the line my save up time was limited and I spent the 15 Deutsche Mark, though a bit regretfull as I felt somewhat ripped to pay that amount for a "dinosaur" figure that came with a lot of stuff I did not want at all....

Tylosaurus

Many thanks for your kind words Lanthanotus :)

Well that extra stuff is what made the DR's so different, the futuristic armore that came with them the background story it all was a very original idea back in th late 1980's
It was different and very original for it's time and that made it attractive for me , as a big fan of Star Wars & Dinosaurs it was a solution that offered best of both worlds ina single package.

The dino toys them self look great when it came to DR series 2.
The DR  Kentrosaurus from DR Series 2 from 1988 was for it 's time the most accurate Kentrosaurus toy around and it stayed that for a very long time as well.
Here a good review made by Paleona of it at the Dinosaur Toy Blog:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2015/10/02/kentrosaurus-tyco/

Quite the masterpiece it's self :)

brandem

I love these guys, still have them on display in my computer room, Valorians to one side and rulons to the other + a smattering of the tyco Smithsonian line and Cadillacs and dinosaurs to give them historical context.

Still hate that I never got my hands on a brontosaurus or a pachyrhinosaurus, only two that I miss.

Still think it needs a rebooted toyline or spiritual successor, can't go wrong with dinosaurs, lasers, alien warfare, and general 80s out-there-ness

Tylosaurus

Quote from: brandem on November 16, 2018, 07:11:31 PM
I love these guys, still have them on display in my computer room, Valorians to one side and rulons to the other + a smattering of the tyco Smithsonian line and Cadillacs and dinosaurs to give them historical context.

Still hate that I never got my hands on a brontosaurus or a pachyrhinosaurus, only two that I miss.

Still think it needs a rebooted toyline or spiritual successor, can't go wrong with dinosaurs, lasers, alien warfare, and general 80s out-there-ness

Well I can always help look around for ya, Bronto's do come on ebay once ina while by Pachyrhino's is an other story, never say never though.

Minmiminime

I had a few of these, still have the Triceratops, Styracosaurus, Euplocephalus and Dimetrodon (though I acquired that when they were released as stand-alone figures) and I had the Pteranodon, that was my favourite, but I have no idea where it is 🤔 Sadly, successive years of play and my dad's heavy smoking have taken their toll on the toys and their equipment, and the poor old trike has a dodgy leg and cant walk properly any more, and all the armaments that came with them are scattered to the winds and the bits I do have are broken. I still have a Rulon cobra-headed figure and a Valorian knocking around. avatar_Tylosaurus @Tylosaurus Rev.A2 your collection is the stuff of childhood dreams, I love how enterprising you were in your endeavour to acquire the Brontosaurus! I agree, this line definitely needs a spiritual successor😊
"You can have all the dinosaurs you want my love, providing we have enough space"

Tylosaurus

Many thanks there avatar_Minmiminime @Minmiminime  8) <3

Yeah well  I think the DR series is too unknown for that to happen...
It is well known for DR fans like us or those that don't collect DR's do know of them as other Dino collectors go but everyone outside that I have doubts...

Even I hope if they are going to make a new release of Dino Riders they better do it right like how the toys were in the 1980's  mainly the second series but then with the accurate knowledge on how they looked from the knowledge of today.
Thereby being a first Dino toyline using accurate dino's with the DR battle armor.

The Rulons Kentrosaurus was from 1988 to 2015 the most accurate Kentrosaurus toy made, hereby mentioning it as a toy not a resin, even it being scale 1:24 I never took that too serious.
And yeah Buying Bonto was fun working for it was less fun but somehow I knew I had to succeed, as I kind of had a feeling that later over the years this piece will be very hard to obtain left alone pay rofl

All in all collecting these was a lot of fun and excitement and it's my first true collection of any kind of item and also my best.

Shonisaurus

The saurolophus of Dino-Riders was the best figure of its kind until the arrival of Favorite saurolophus.

Sincerely Dino-Riders made dinosaur figures quite nice especially in regard to ceraptosides and prehistoric mammals were very good until eighteen years ago I kept the smilodon, entelodon and megatherium but I gave them to a nephew of mine. They were quite good figures Dino Riders in general.

Tylosaurus

Kentrosaurus was the best Kentro toy, accuracy wise for a very long time, if not still the best Kentro out there.
It really deserved it's place  :)

here a nice review of the Tyco / Dino-riders Kentrosaurus by Paleona:

Also keep Edmontonia in mind, here a good review of the 1988 DR Edmontonia by DTF member gwangi:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2016/10/21/edmontonia-tyco/

Primeval Battles

Tylosaurus

Hmm got your mail and  and nah not something I could do sorry, most of my DR's are very brittle and old, and the diorama I made for them isn't something I'd want to disturb in ways...

tanystropheus

Quote from: Tylosaurus on March 18, 2019, 05:43:15 AM
Kentrosaurus was the best Kentro toy, accuracy wise for a very long time, if not still the best Kentro out there.
It really deserved it's place  :)

here a nice review of the Tyco / Dino-riders Kentrosaurus by Paleona:

Also keep Edmontonia in mind, here a good review of the 1988 DR Edmontonia by DTF member gwangi:
http://dinotoyblog.com/2016/10/21/edmontonia-tyco/

Along with Protoceratops, Struthiomimus (and potentially, Dimetrodon), the aforementioned Tyco dinosaurs are some of the most anatomically accurate and aesthetically sound models for the line.

The Mattel line is the natural successor of Tyco's Dino Riders (even more ironic if Mattel resurrects the DR franchise).

Tylosaurus

Hmm well I wasn't sure about Dimetrodon though, always favored the Edmontonia & Kentrosaurus as they were the most accurate of their species for a long time as I read somewhere, even besides that they just look nice, DR's 2nd series from 1988 were by far their best if I have to be honest 8)

Personally I don't see anyone resurrecting the DR series, it's something us classic DR collectors just have to be proud of having.
DR collections are quite rarely seen these days likewise.

Primeval Battles

At least for Germany DR collections are rare indeed. The biggest fan group is Master of the Universe and MASK...Dino Riders collectors are as rare as  Ninja-Turtles and Transformers...

Tylosaurus

DR is rarer that transformers & Ninja Turtles by a mile, those two were in production for much longer terms, if you know your DR background well you'd know that for the least , secondly I am from Netherlands and not Germany, yet I grew up in Australia, a place where I discovered the Dino-Riders as a kid many years back.

Just for your information :> Germany is not the only country in the world that has DR collectors, Australia, italy, America, Brazil, Netherlands, United Kingdom, France, Portugal, Spain, Belgium , Norway, Austria and some others alongside Germany.

Back on March 22, 1987 in Bunbury, Western Australia was the day I started collecting Dino-Riders and completed the DR collection in Dirksland, Netherlands on November 22, 2013.
Being 100% disabled since 2005, it took me lots of time to save up and gather needed funds from selling things or just saving up till I was able the overpriced parts.

Once I had completed this old collection I dear and value so much, I went on to other interests.

Primeval Battles

You always respond NEGATIVELY and SMART-ALEC? >:(
I really hope that you are not the most active here but friendlier persons

Tylosaurus

Firstly this post you made on trying to sell things in my topic is totally off-topic..not the first time I seen this same message.
Quote from: Primeval Battles on May 03, 2019, 02:21:14 PM
Hi,

pls feel VERY invited to see HERE:

http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=7844.0

My Dino-Rider-Art-Photography prpject:-)

Secondly this double post you made saying what ever I post is negative and smart alec? Uhm how and where?

Quote from: Primeval Battles on May 07, 2019, 09:22:08 PM

Quote from: Primeval Battles on May 07, 2019, 09:23:21 PM

I really hope that you are not the most active here but friendlier persons
Hmm sorry if I know my facts man... yet I am rarely on this forum myself, got other things to attend to.

Could you please stop posting the same message in all my topics, I'm pretty sure one post is enough..
Also stop spamming my e-mail as well..

Overall I find this behavior rather unpleasant, misleading, misplaced, misunderstanding, unrightful and very annoying.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.