News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

“Primal” Coming to Adult Swim

Started by suspsy, May 14, 2019, 04:10:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

http://www.darkhorizons.com/adult-swim-orders-tartakovskys-primal-series/

This sounds like it has potential. Clearly won't have much science to it, what with a human riding a T. rex, but considering it's from the creator of Samurai Jack, the animation ought to be gorgeous. Probably plenty of blood and guts too!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Can we make it illegal for things to have people riding T. Rexes? Like, if I wanted to see that, I'd just go shop for shirts at Wal-Mart.  ;)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Brocc21

Now when can we get an animated Godzilla/MonsterVerse series. But I'm excited for this!
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

ITdactyl

It seems David Krentz is credited as a writer for the series(nope, my bad. He was only mentioned in one review and his name doesn't appear in the end credits).  And it's getting (at least the first 4 of 5 episodes) positive reviews.

ITdactyl

Finally got to see episode 1.

If you thought "JW: Battle at Big Rock" held back on the violence, Primal delivers in spades.

Gore (and total disregard for reserved sensibilities) aside, the quiet scenes are really beautiful...  like Doug Henderson's prehistoric environments.

Can't wait for the other 4 episodes.  I think it's rather obvious that there are no scientifically accurate portrayals of dinosaurs here... but it is a wonderfully made piece of animation... I'm wishing there were more than 5 episodes.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: Loon on May 14, 2019, 06:25:23 PM
Can we make it illegal for things to have people riding T. Rexes? Like, if I wanted to see that, I'd just go shop for shirts at Wal-Mart.  ;)

If it's any consolation, I don't think that's a T. rex. First off it's only about six feet tall, and I'm pretty sure we see an actual T. rex in the first episode which is the big red momma who went all infanticide on the duo's family. Maybe a Nanuqsaurus? Or most likely just a made up species.

You guys can watch it for free on Adult Swim's website. There isn't any dialog or much semblance of a story really. I have a feeling this series is mostly about the spectacle of dinosaurs killing each other than anything deep or meaningful.

ITdactyl

Quote from: Appalachiosaurus on October 09, 2019, 09:51:06 AM
I don't think that's a T. rex.

There isn't any dialog

...much semblance of a story really. I have a feeling this series is mostly about the spectacle of dinosaurs killing each other than anything deep or meaningful.

1. Fang is labeled as a Tyrannosaurus rex - a smallish one, yes, but that's what the creator says.  The Red episode 1 villain has a nose horn and looks more like a Ceratosaurus (with gigantism and time travelling powers - oh, wait, the series disregards chronology and actually has fictional beasts in episode 4)

2. Yep.  No words, just grunts, howls and roars.  Purely intentional - Tartakovsky did state that the inspiration for the series are the silent episodes of Samurai Jack.

3. Ouch.  ;D Am I giving the show too much credit? I don't intend to demean your opinion avatar_Appalachiosaurus @Appalachiosaurus , just disagreeing.  I enjoyed the simplistic setup of episode 1 and can't wait for the story to unfold moving forward.

I realize this falls under the "love it or hate it" category (being on adult swim and all)... and it has plenty of things that will offend those looking for a better depiction of dinosaurs (and other prehistoric critters)... what with the show mixing anachronism, featherless "raptors", toothed Pteranodons, giant bats and spiders etc.

I've been harping on and on over at the JW thread about this concern.  With the expansion of the JW franchise, the inclusion of "dinosaurs" as major creature types in games like D&D and MTG, and shows like Primal, it seems pop culture's monsterized dinosaurs are here to stay.  I'm enjoying it because I tend to keep my fiction and my science neatly separated, but I understand others may not feel the same way.

...also just a really biased fan of this animation style.

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: ITdactyl on October 09, 2019, 07:58:31 PM
1. Fang is labeled as a Tyrannosaurus rex - a smallish one, yes, but that's what the creator says.  The Red episode 1 villain has a nose horn and looks more like a Ceratosaurus (with gigantism and time travelling powers - oh, wait, the series disregards chronology and actually has fictional beasts in episode 4)

My main problem with that assessment is that it's obviously a Tyrannosaur. The horn is the only thing it has similar to a Ceratosaurus, and that isn't even right. It could be a fictional species, sure, and the sizes fluctuate wildly from shot to shot, but given that it's big enough to swallow Fang whole I really don't think it's meant to be a Ceratosaurus. They probably just wanted an eviler looking T. rex so Spear would confuse Fang with one when he first meets her.

EDIT: In the Pitch Animatic (https://www.adultswim.com/videos/primal/spear-and-fang-pitch-animatic) Genndy refers to both as a T. rex. Sexual Dimorphism maybe?

ITdactyl

Yeah, you're right.  I'm thinking the horns and red skin tone were just added as visual cues for the "villain".

stargatedalek

I think I mentioned in the other Primal thread based on one of the trailers that I thought these were meant to be male Tyrannosaurus behaving like bears do and attacking young. Seems that was more or less confirmed.

ITdactyl

To those who hate the "caveman riding a dinosaur" concept portrayed at the trailers... ep. 2 will quickly dismiss that notion.  Fang will let Spear ride her at times, but she is definitely not his mount - and in ep. 3, she is clearly not his pack animal.

And (on my 3rd edit), David Krentz apparently did create the story board for ep. 3. 

ITdactyl

And just like that... the 5 episode season is over...

...and I have to wait 1 year to find out if
Spoiler
Fang
[close]
survived.

*sad pikachu*

ITdactyl

So... Adult swim actually released a new episode of Primal last April 1 (although season 2 is scheduled for a fall 2020 premiere)

I'm not sure if it was intentional, but the story is about the zombie virus reaching Little-foot's hidden valley and turning him into a ravening villain. I'm partly kidding but " Land Before Time" references aside, that is the plot.

The episode does have some nicely animated sauropods - at least before the carnage starts.

A fair bit of warning, if the gore turned you off the first 5 episodes, IMO this takes the cake as the most disturbing episode.

On a sidenote, this episode had so many callouts to Jurassic Park/World - both homages and jabs.
* The opening has JP1's "welcome to Jurassic Park" vibe
* Fang reacts painfully to the tiniest bit of lava hitting her skin. (take that, dweeby "baryonyx")

* Sadly, while JW left "the slaughter of the apatosaurs" and "the demise of the brachiosaurus" to the audience' imagination - here, very similar scenes were animated in full detail.

This is one of the most disturbing bits of animation I've seen (and I've seen my fair share of disturbing Japanese anime) - but I still loved this ep.

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Is there a precise release date for the rest of season 2 yet?

Blade-of-the-Moon

CityRaptor

You know what the infected Camarasaurus reminded me off? I mean besides all those toys with permanent Dino Damage? Schleich's Barapasaurus.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Dean Nonychus

Considering the combination of pre-history and Genndy Tartakovsky, how did I miss this? Might just go and watch the full series after work.
Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Quote from: Dean Nonychus on August 07, 2020, 11:37:26 AM
Considering the combination of pre-history and Genndy Tartakovsky, how did I miss this? Might just go and watch the full series after work.

It's sooo good! You'll love it.  :)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.