News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Dark mode for the forum?

Started by EmperorDinobot, June 03, 2021, 03:13:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EmperorDinobot

I've heard that dark mode is good for your eyes. Could it be possible to maybe uh....turn the forum into dark mode some day in the future for the betterment of everyone's eyes? I realize that this may be a "Me" problem, but it's something to think about. Delete or lock this is not allowed.

stargatedalek

Only if it was optional, I can't stand dark modes.

The idea of them being better for your eyes is also partially a myth. It's good to change up what your eyes are looking at and the ways that they are focusing, so when dark mode is weird or unusual it can make your eyes feel a bit relieved to switch to it for a time, but ultimately focusing on light text on a dark background will cause more strain in the long run.

Remember that computer UI's didn't start as dark text on white background, they started (their time in popular eyesight) as light green on black. People didn't just change how it looked to make it look like paper, it's easier on people who look at it for long periods (such as writers, web-designers, etc.).

DinoToyForum

It's certainly possible to change the look of the forum with a dark theme. This could be optional, so users can select their theme of preference. I'm busy now but I can explore options in the future.

Personally, I find dark themes claustrophobic and uninviting, but that's just my preference.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 03, 2021, 03:13:01 PM
I've heard that dark mode is good for your eyes. Could it be possible to maybe uh....turn the forum into dark mode some day in the future for the betterment of everyone's eyes? I realize that this may be a "Me" problem, but it's something to think about. Delete or lock this is not allowed.

Actually, i use the Firefox Addon "Dark Reader" for everything. Works okay on the Forum, works almost perfect on every other Site. is is also a bit customizable. I do not know wich Browser you are using, but Dark Reader should be available to most Browsers.

Edit: Having everything dark in this kind of virtual Enviroment like this Forum, all black does not work well, therefore the "light" selection on the "dark" reader :D It is still darker.

ITdactyl

It'd be a nice option if ever. Though I've never had a problem reading through the posts since most members (thankfully) post loads of pictures that break the stark light panels.

BTW, thanks for the lead on that browser extension. I've been relying on my Operating system's night light toggle to make reading easier on the eyes, but that might be a better option.

Halichoeres

I occasionally browse the forum on my phone, and my phone browser is set to dark mode by default. The forum's header image has a white background, which means every page load is a big old flash to the eyes. If there's a dark mode for the forum at some point in the future, it might be worth making that a transparent background.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

EmperorDinobot

Quote from: Kapitaenosavrvs on June 03, 2021, 04:25:06 PM
Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 03, 2021, 03:13:01 PM

Actually, i use the Firefox Addon "Dark Reader" for everything. Works okay on the Forum, works almost perfect on every other Site. is is also a bit customizable. I do not know wich Browser you are using, but Dark Reader should be available to most Browsers.

Edit: Having everything dark in this kind of virtual Enviroment like this Forum, all black does not work well, therefore the "light" selection on the "dark" reader :D It is still darker.

You are a Godsend. I'm going to try this out after my training hours are over today. Firefox is my default browser and this will certainly help with literally every aspect of my browsing life.

Yes, dark mode can be uninviting, but my photophobia is getting worse by the minute due to my eyes going haywire. Dark mode has helped me return to the internet, literally.

Kapitaenosavrvs

Quote from: EmperorDinobot on June 18, 2021, 02:36:55 PM

You are a Godsend. I'm going to try this out after my training hours are over today. Firefox is my default browser and this will certainly help with literally every aspect of my browsing life.

Yes, dark mode can be uninviting, but my photophobia is getting worse by the minute due to my eyes going haywire. Dark mode has helped me return to the internet, literally.

Sounds great! I hope the Dark Reader can help out a bit. Since i have everything dark aswell on my Devices, i absolutely understand the need for that. If i am on a Device that is not mine, i am always shocked how bright and loud everything is. Hurts.

Ikessauro

I was about to create a topic with this same question, I'm glad I searched for it first. I too would love a dark mode.

I use only dark mode in my apps, even in my Windows OS. Not sure if the dark mode is better for your eyes, but for me it really makes a difference. I can go for a way longer time reading in a dark mode website than a white background one.

I guess it varies from person to person, since each and everyone of us has a unique body with our own unique eyesight issues.

I option in the forum settings for turning dark mode on and off would be lovely. I was looking for one and couldn't find it

DinoToyForum

I've looked into this but the solution is a bit beyond me. I don't like any of the available dark themes, and I don't know how to create an alternative dark version of this existing theme for members to choose between. So, for now, I'll just leave it to members to set dark mode in their browser settings or browser plugin as avatar_Kapitaenosavrvs @Kapitaenosavrvs suggests above.

When a simple solution presents itself I will adopt it.

EmperorDinobot

That would be great. I am currently researching ways to do dark mode on chrome as well. The firefox solution worked fine for me, but I am now using a different pc.

Halichoeres

Yeah I use dark mode on mobile and it works fine except the header image is mostly white and dark mode doesn't affect that.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.