News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Mattel--New for 2020

Started by suspsy, July 23, 2019, 07:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 02, 2020, 04:53:28 PMIt's incredibly annoying. Furthermore, the problem with folks is that they have a love for low-end JP reproductions but absolutely trash high-end JP reproductions. It's a type of counterintuitive, brand loyalty that defies logic and reason. They might as well admit that they cannot afford it, but strangely enough, they go about purchasing every single color variant of Herrerasaurus known to man, giving the impression that perhaps they could.

These diatribes of yours have become as incomprehensible as they are unkind and unnecessary. I'm alerting the moderators.

Getting back to the proper topic, I actually came across some new Mattel product at my local Walmart this morning: the Savage Strike Sauropelta and the Attack Pack Mononykus. The latter isn't actually new, of course, but it's the first time I've seen it in a Canadian store. Encouraging signs for my fellow Canucks!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

MLMjp

Anyone thinks the new sound strikes look great in this picture? The Irritator doesn't look like it has dental issues here and Majungasaurus colors actually look pretty cool. Quite the difference with previous pictures!

suspsy

My son is going to be three this summer and he's become quite fond of Mattel products. I may have to nab that Majungasaurus if it makes it up here. And the Parasaurolophus, as that's one of his favourite dinosaurs.

Still can't get over that ghoulish kisser on the Irritator. I'm guessing they sculpted it that way so that it would look less like the Baryonyx.

Flaffy

Is the new Sound Strike Parasaurolophus more screen accurate? Or the Dino Rivals one more accurate?

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on March 02, 2020, 06:31:26 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on March 02, 2020, 04:53:28 PMIt's incredibly annoying. Furthermore, the problem with folks is that they have a love for low-end JP reproductions but absolutely trash high-end JP reproductions. It's a type of counterintuitive, brand loyalty that defies logic and reason. They might as well admit that they cannot afford it, but strangely enough, they go about purchasing every single color variant of Herrerasaurus known to man, giving the impression that perhaps they could.

These diatribes of yours have become as incomprehensible as they are unkind and unnecessary. I'm alerting the moderators.

Getting back to the proper topic, I actually came across some new Mattel product at my local Walmart this morning: the Savage Strike Sauropelta and the Attack Pack Mononykus. The latter isn't actually new, of course, but it's the first time I've seen it in a Canadian store. Encouraging signs for my fellow Canucks!

You can alert the moderators all you want but you exhibit the most pronounced bias of all the reviewers on the forum and several members can testify to that. You were one of the first folks here to blast the Papo Spinosaurus for accuracy issues when the majority of the folks here saw it as a step up in accuracy.

Also, in your Papo Dimorphodon review you spend an inordinate amount of time talking about how you don't like the inner palate color of the model when you excused the CollectA Estemmenosuchus altogether for its implausible and non-naturalistic color scheme. We expect a certain degree of professionalism from a veteran reviewer and your behavior is rather roguish. You also alienate people for following brands that you have a distaste for.

Sorry for the derail, but I believe in transparency and wanted to get that off my chest. Everyone else, please move along.

suspsy

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 02, 2020, 07:06:12 PM
You can alert the moderators all you want

Done. I've had quite enough.

Also, in your Papo Dimorphodon review you spend an inordinate amount of time talking about how you don't like the inner palate color of the model when you excused the CollectA Estemmenosuchus altogether for its implausible and non-naturalistic color scheme.

I didn't review either of these toys.

MLMjp

Quote from: Flaffy on March 02, 2020, 07:04:27 PM
Is the new Sound Strike Parasaurolophus more screen accurate? Or the Dino Rivals one more accurate?
Dino rivals all the way.

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on March 02, 2020, 07:11:55 PM
You can alert the moderators all you want

Done. I've had quite enough of you. Oh, and FTR, I didn't review the Papo Dimorphodon or the CollectA Estemmenosuchus.

Well, great. I suppose this is my last day on the forum.

stargatedalek

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 02, 2020, 04:47:47 PM
Quote from: stargatedalek on March 01, 2020, 06:57:17 PM
Quote from: tanystropheus on February 29, 2020, 11:18:41 PM
REBOR and Papo are examples of companies that have demonstrated that they are willing to make products that are accurate. Obviously, there is a big market to be had with JP-style models as can be seen from the thousands of posts generated on the Mattel thread. There exists a double standard in the forum where folks applaud Mattel's (or Nanmu or W Dragon) efforts to reproduce JP creatures in toy form. When REBOR or Papo does the same, they get derided. The truth is that companies such as Papo and REBOR are dedicated to pleasing movie fanatics as well as paleo junkies but stereotypes regarding what they can or can't do are pervasive. The comment isn't aimed at you specifically, but the army of folks with similar stances. There is also an element of elitism amongst collectors where certain models are unfairly dismissed or rated more poorly than they should simply because of association with a particular brand.
Have they really proven they are willing to make accurate designs though? I get it, complaining JP/JW toys aren't accurate is annoying, but I don't think REBOR has released* (released, not announced) a single prehistoric toy that is fully accurate to the animals known science (dragonflies aside). They've certainly shown they're capable with their absolutely lovely Komodo Dragon, but capable and willing are two very different things.

REBOR gets a bit more lineance from me in terms of using JP designs because they are doing different things with them.

I for one complain about REBOR and Papo designs and not Mattel because it's theft. They are being lazy and instead of making their own designs they are trying to copy pre-existing designs exactly. Papo is particularly egregious, they based most of their sculpts on screenshots from the movies! How much more obvious can you possibly get? And a lot of their other models are based on Sideshow Dinosauria statues which is no better.

The only accurate Papo design is the Megaloceros, not a single other one of their prehistoric animals is accurate. And Megaloceros is a giant deer, you have to actively try to mess that one up.

I'm only vaguely aware of W-Dragon or Nanmu so I haven't really commented but I don't support the way they do things either. Though I have to remind that they are at least not trying to copy exact screenshots from the movies.

Thank you for demonstrating how annoying devout brand loyalty can be. "The only accurate Papo design is the Megaloceros" Are you ABSOLUTELY out of your mind. Papo has released accurate figures outside of Megaloceros. I'm not even going to bother giving examples. The statement is beyond ridiculous.

Also, REBOR has released a number of models that are comparable in accuracy to that which is available by Wild Safari and CollectA. But let's pretend they haven't because we're all paleontologists here  ;) :)

W-Dragon or Nanmu are actually more screen accurate to JP than Papo or REBOR so I don't know what you are talking about.
I'm not sure if by "brand loyalty" you mean "loyalty" to the Universal Studios licensing, or loyalty to Safari/CollectA/etc. as opposed to Papo/REBOR, but both are completely untrue.

Even not counting modern animals I own more Papo products than I do CollectA, and Papo's modern animals are among my particular favorites. They are easily the second most represented western brand after Safari when it comes to my modern animal figures. I don't have some weird vendetta against them as a company as you seem so fixated on determining.

And I have no love for Universal/Comcast or their corporate cronies I assure you. That doesn't mean I'm not going to call out copycats when I see them, that's bad on its own, regardless who you're copying from.

You "won't even bother" to name an accurate prehistoric Papo figure besides the Megaloceros, and yet claim I'm making that up. I sure can't think of any; there's a shrink-wrapped and half-winged Velociraptor, a Therizinosaurus with incorrect feet, and a bald Tupuxuara, were you thinking of those?

Accuracy isn't the sole determiner of whether a figure is "good" or not, at least not to me, I just find the designs of Papo prehistoric products to be largely unoriginal and lazy, with some being outright stolen.

What REBOR products are you claiming are accurate? Because "comparable in accuracy to that which is available by Wild Safari and CollectA" is not "accurate". Safari has been in this game many decades longer than REBOR, and they didn't always prioritize accuracy the way they do now. Even then designers make mistakes, companies cut corners, bottom line has to be made. Errors, especially for the sake of dramatic stylization, are sadly something to be expected from anyone in this industry.

Also, in your Papo Dimorphodon review you spend an inordinate amount of time talking about how you don't like the inner palate color of the model when you excused the CollectA Estemmenosuchus completely for its implausible and non-naturalistic color scheme. We expect a certain degree of professionalism from a veteran reviewer and your behavior is rather roguish.
Nothing about the CollectA Estemmenosuchus colourscheme is implausible. I personally think it's pretty ugly and boring, but nothing about it is in any way implausible.

Quote from: tanystropheus on March 02, 2020, 04:53:28 PM
Quote from: PumperKrickel on March 01, 2020, 11:04:09 AM
Good to know I´m not the only one who finds this forum´s obsession with accuracy extremely tiring, especially when it comes to JP/JW figures. Whenever a figure is shown or reviewed people feel compelled to say it´s "inaccurate and almost all reviews contain a variation of the phrase: "It´s JP, so it obviously is inaccurate." It´s one of the most boring and uninspiring observations one could articulate, especially considering that all dinosaur figures inevitably come with a level of inaccuracy.
JP figures aren´t even meant to be accurate to the real animals, though. They represent genetic reconstructions made by human scientists and are therefore prone to have their look influenced by biases. When a cloned dinosaur looks different than it should according to your understanding, you´d most likely assume that something went wrong during the cloning process and try again until you got the desired outcome.
Judging these figures by their level of accuracy alone is pointless, one might just as well judge them on how throwable they are or if they can be used as a plate.

It's incredibly annoying. Furthermore, the problem with folks is that they have a love for low-end JP reproductions but absolutely trash high-end JP reproductions. It's a type of counterintuitive, brand loyalty that defies logic and reason. They might as well admit that they cannot afford it, but strangely enough, they go about purchasing every single color variant of Herrerasaurus known to man, giving the impression that perhaps they could.
Papo is not a "high end reproduction". I have at least a dozen Mattel figures that cost well over what a Papo rex retailed for back in the day. I could afford Papo figures if I was interested in buying them, they're pricier than Safari or CollectA sure but they're still toys.

Dino Rivals is more accurate to TLW, but this one is seemingly going to tie in with Camp Cretaceous so it could end up being closer to that than the DR one is to TLW. Can't know yet.

DinoToyForum

C:-) Please grow up everyone who is bickering, we may be talking about toys but this isn't a school playground. You're disrespecting each other, disrespecting the forum rules, and so disrespecting me. It really isn't that difficult to flag a post you disapprove of to moderators and *not* simultaneously respond to it. This isn't Twitter or Facebook, you all know by now that I don't stand for intentional rudeness and you know I ban members for it.

Rule 1 is: No intentional personal attacks, rudeness, or personal provocation. Violation of rules 1-3 will result in an immediate ban depending on the particulars.

Now I have to go through multiple moderator reports and this thread, which I haven't been following, and decide who to ban and for how long. Or, since you're all long-standing members whom I respect, you can do me a great favour and apologise to each other publicly – whether or not you think you've done anything wrong – and accept each others apologies. It's the mature thing to do and I would greatly appreciate it avatar_tanystropheus @tanystropheus avatar_suspsy @suspsy avatar_Loon @Loon and anyone else who feels they might, intentionally or otherwise, have exacerbated things.

tanystropheus

Thank you for the clarification.

For the purpose of maintaining diplomacy, I will take this opportunity to apologize.

suspsy

You are correct, avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum, I should have simply reported the comment rather than respond to it as well. You have my apology.

Loon

I apologise for engaging negatively, as well.

PumperKrickel

Quote from: dinotoyforum on March 02, 2020, 07:45:43 PM
Or, since you're all long-standing members whom I respect, you can do me a great favour and apologise to each other publicly

Interesting, I wasn´t given such an opportunity prior to my ban. Guess the rules only apply when it´s convenient.

Appalachiosaurus

Dino Rivals is more accurate to The Lost World, but Primal Attack is more accurate to Jurassic World. It's hard to tell because they're only in the movie for around a minute and never in the foreground, but the JW Paras have a dark red color along their backs which slightly resembles the new toy.

Sarapaurolophus

Thanks to all who answered my Sinoceratops/Pachyrhino questions :)
And Faelrin for providing the concept arts and link to the toy designer interview. Interesting stuff!

I do quite like the new Parasaurolophus allthough I wish they would go a little more crazy with the recolors on it. We've seen this vaguely samey color scheme ever since JP Lost World, it feels.

I am not tempted by the new release at all, even as a big PSL fan. That red metallic paint looks a bit like blood on it. An entirely metallic PSL would look fun, imo. Wet look ;)

CityRaptor

Well, there will be a "bioluminescent" Mini Parasaurolophus, so maybe this one might have something, too. It's apparently based on one appearing in Camp Cretaceous.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: CityRaptor on March 02, 2020, 09:27:51 PM
Well, there will be a "bioluminescent" Mini Parasaurolophus, so maybe this one might have something, too. It's apparently based on one appearing in Camp Cretaceous.

My, my, my. Seems like I will have to follow the Camp Cretaceous stuff!

terrorchicken

my latest 2 JW purchases are the callovosaurus and ornitholestes. The callovosaurus is such a neat figure, lots of fun to pose since it can hold both bipedal and quadrupedal positions. I wasn't going to get ornitholestes at first but I ran into it at Target the other day and loved the color scheme, and it doesn't have that ugly thin short tail that so many of their theropods are cursed with.  I guess its true it doesn't look much  like an ornitholestes though... I wonder if there's some other theropod it could stand in for...saltopus? segisaurus maybe?

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: terrorchicken on March 03, 2020, 12:59:13 AM
my latest 2 JW purchases are the callovosaurus and ornitholestes. The callovosaurus is such a neat figure, lots of fun to pose since it can hold both bipedal and quadrupedal positions. I wasn't going to get ornitholestes at first but I ran into it at Target the other day and loved the color scheme, and it doesn't have that ugly thin short tail that so many of their theropods are cursed with.  I guess its true it doesn't look much  like an ornitholestes though... I wonder if there's some other theropod it could stand in for...saltopus? segisaurus maybe?

Coelophysis?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.