News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Unusual popup

Started by DinoToyForum, August 11, 2019, 11:16:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DinoToyForum

I experienced an unusual redirection/popup ad (saying that I won something - obvious spam) when I visited the forum on my iphone earlier. Has anyone else experienced this recently?

Ravonium

Can confirm this is happening with me  :-[

DinoToyForum

I destermined that it was something to do with my google adsense ads, which I have disabled for now, and that seems to have solved the problem. Maybe google got hacked!?

DinoToyForum

Actually it just happened to me again. Urgg, will try and find fix...

ITdactyl

happens to me if i try to view forum posts without logging in. The ads appear as a new separate tab/window in the browser app.

I logged in and the problem stopped. not sure if that'll help.

ceratopsian

It afflicted me on my iPhone yesterday afternoon when I tried to visit the DTF.  A bit of research suggested it's a well-known piece of malware.  I haven't been able to get rid of it and can no longer access the DTF on my phone at all.  The on-line suggestions were to clear my Safari browser.  Plus disable my iCloud sync and clear my Facebook browser/history.  My mistake was, I think, to try and close the popup by clicking on the link's "close" rather than shutting down Safari.

Interestingly my husband, who doesn't use the DTF, had it appear on his phone yesterday pm too - but I can't think what sites we might both have visited.  We hadn't been in contact by text, e-mail etc that pm.

DinoToyForum

Thanks for the info. It happened to me on both ipad and iphone. I disabled my adsense ads on the forum and that seems to have mitigated the problem, but it might still be lurking. I'll investigate...

ceratopsian

Quote from: dinotoyforum on August 12, 2019, 09:05:28 AM
Thanks for the info. It happened to me on both ipad and iphone. I disabled my adsense ads on the forum and that seems to have mitigated the problem, but it might still be lurking. I'll investigate...

My desktop is Microsoft, not Apple.

ceratopsian

Just did a quick check on my phone. The pop up is currently not appearing when I try to open threads.

DinoToyForum

It is definitely 'malvertising'. Malicious ads exploiting Adnetworks...

DinoToyForum

The problem is gone for me now: disabling ads on the forum, and clearing the cache on safari, fixed it. My desktop is a mac and I didn't have the problem at all, so it was iphone/ipad-specific problem. 

I'll leave ads off for now until I'm assured Google adsense has throttled the offending ads.

ceratopsian

DinoToyForum

:) Just let me know if you (or anyone) experiences any more of these ads.

Also, did any of you happen to notice which ads appeared just before the redirect? Those will be the ads with the malicious code.

I'm relieved that the forum itself hasn't been hacked, that's what I thought at first.

ITdactyl

Didn't realize it'd be a serious matter. I just got menswear ads from Shopee (I only thought they were weird because the only ads I used to see from the forum are dinosaur toy related. Plus the Shopee ad tried to open new windows/tabs - which my ad blocker prevented)

DinoToyForum

Quote from: ITdactyl on August 12, 2019, 11:42:22 AM
Didn't realize it'd be a serious matter. I just got menswear ads from Shopee (I only thought they were weird because the only ads I used to see from the forum are dinosaur toy related. Plus the Shopee ad tried to open new windows/tabs - which my ad blocker prevented)

They sound like authentic ads to me. The malvertising 'ads' redirected away from the forum entirely with no way to return.

ceratopsian

Sorry I have no idea what legitimate ad was there at the time the pop up appeared. I train myself to ignore ads!

I will certainly contact you if the adware reappears.

Great news the forum itself wasn't hacked.

DinoToyForum

I'm reactivating adsense, the problem seems to have gone away, but let me know if the dodgy popup reappears!  C:-)

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.