News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What sort of a dinosaur is Hammer?

Started by brontosauruschuck, August 29, 2019, 07:30:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

brontosauruschuck

So, a wonderful YouTube channel called Good Bad Flicks recently did a video on a dinosaur movie that I really like a lot, 1993's Prehysteria!

https://youtu.be/-ALCVTHLL5o

In it, he referred the the ceratopsian dinosaur, Hammer, as a Styracosaurus. This surprised me, because I would swear on a stack of bibles I remember Hammer being a Chasmosaurus. I remember one reviewer of the movie even commenting on how it was neat that they went with a Chasmosaurus instead of a Triceratops (and while I agree that it was cool, I wonder if the characters in the movie would really know the difference). Anyway, I left a message on the video and Good Bad Flicks said that the filmmakers themselves said it was a Styracosaurus. BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A STYRACOSAURUS! Is anyone here interested in getting involved in this controversy with me?

Funk

Certainly is Chasmosaurus (russelli?), but this is probably just a case of non-experts not caring about the subtle differences. Ducky from the Land Before Time series is routinely referred to as Parasaurolophus even in official media, even though the character and its parents are obviously based on Saurolophus. An actual Parasaurolophus is even featured in the same movie...

brontosauruschuck

Does anyone have a copy of the movie? Can they confirm they say Chasmosaurus?

I haven't seen Land Before Time since it was in theaters but I remember being a kid and just HATING comets even though I had no idea what they were because of that movie.

John

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on August 29, 2019, 07:30:35 AM
So, a wonderful YouTube channel called Good Bad Flicks recently did a video on a dinosaur movie that I really like a lot, 1993's Prehysteria!

In it, he referred the the ceratopsian dinosaur, Hammer, as a Styracosaurus. This surprised me, because I would swear on a stack of bibles I remember Hammer being a Chasmosaurus. I remember one reviewer of the movie even commenting on how it was neat that they went with a Chasmosaurus instead of a Triceratops (and while I agree that it was cool, I wonder if the characters in the movie would really know the difference). Anyway, I left a message on the video and Good Bad Flicks said that the filmmakers themselves said it was a Styracosaurus. BUT IT DOESN'T LOOK LIKE A STYRACOSAURUS! Is anyone here interested in getting involved in this controversy with me?
You are remembering it correctly,it was a Chasmosaurus.There is no controversy,the reviewers on that YouTube channel are just flat out wrong.
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

Funk

Don't think they state the genera of most of the dinosaurs in the movie though? And note the guy in the review just calls the Pteranodon "pterodactyl" too, so I wouldn't give his identifications much thought.

Interestingly they used Pteranodon sternbergi (or Geosternbergia) rather than the more famous Pteranodon longiceps in the movie, which seems to also have been considered for The Lost World too, judging on some of the concept artwork for the movie.

And of course, they also used sternbergi in Disney's Dinosaur... People getting tired of the classic old longiceps?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.