News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Jurassic World: Battle at Big Rock

Started by Andanna, September 15, 2019, 02:01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shadowknight1

I liked it.  And to everyone "complaining" about the surprise crossbow rescue?  They introduced the concept early on, it's called Chekhov's Gun.  Or crossbow, in this case.

My favorite thing is that, once the prey started fighting back, Allosaurus left.  If it were the raptors from any of the other movies, they would've kept attacking.  Or the Spino from 3.  Rexy probably would've peaced out, but that's cause Rexy's too old for this crap now.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Appalachiosaurus

The dialog was pretty bad, the fight was disappointing and janky, and the Allosaurus flipped from being too weak to pick up a baby to being strong enough to tear a trailer apart like wet paper. Plus that ending was so silly I was half expecting it to be Grant holding the crossbow, but the JP franchise has a leash around my neck and is walking me across the park because I still kind of loved it.

CityRaptor

Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 17, 2019, 03:19:42 AM
I liked it.  And to everyone "complaining" about the surprise crossbow rescue?  They introduced the concept early on, it's called Chekhov's Gun.  Or crossbow, in this case.

Yep. It's even mentioned that it is a "double crossbow", explaining why she is able to fire the two arrows so fast. 
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shadowknight1

Quote from: CityRaptor on September 17, 2019, 08:25:46 AM
Quote from: Shadowknight1 on September 17, 2019, 03:19:42 AM

Yep. It's even mentioned that it is a "double crossbow", explaining why she is able to fire the two arrows so fast.
Why, you're correct.  I missed that the first few times somehow.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Kotori_Sonoda

Well I finally watched it, it was short but really nice, I enjoyed it.
The Allosaurus was really cool!
Also the clips at the end credits were really neat to see.
This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

Flaffy

Funk

Wonder how that would have looked in the film...

They have a hard time nailing the classic Crash McCreery look in the designs for the new films, which is a shame, the dinosaurs look very generic. How about, uh, just hiring him?

Einherjar

Quote from: Funk on September 17, 2019, 04:44:26 PM

They have a hard time nailing the classic Crash McCreery look in the designs for the new films, which is a shame, the dinosaurs look very generic. How about, uh, just hiring him?

Been thinking that too. There's just something really off about the dinosaurs in the JW movies. They lack weight, and have weird heads and eyes.

Look at that allo's eye socket. It's like a cavern with a mountain range around it. It makes no sense.

Brocc21

Quote from: Einherjar on September 17, 2019, 10:51:12 PM
Quote from: Funk on September 17, 2019, 04:44:26 PM

Been thinking that too. There's just something really off about the dinosaurs in the JW movies. They lack weight, and have weird heads and eyes.

Look at that allo's eye socket. It's like a cavern with a mountain range around it. It makes no sense.

The Jw dinosaurs definitely have a different style. I want to say they're more modern but I don't know if that's the right word. But I feel like, for example, if McCreery made that moasaur it wouldn't be so spiky and crocodilian.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Patrx

Style aside, I think there'd be something really wondrous about seeing that animatronic Allosaurus head in person.

Funk

QuoteThe Jw dinosaurs definitely have a different style. I want to say they're more modern but I don't know if that's the right word. But I feel like, for example, if McCreery made that moasaur it wouldn't be so spiky and crocodilian.
Hmmm, "modern" probably wouldn't be the right word for a spiky, crocodilian mosasaur. Maybe they're just more "monstrous"?

Which of course also goes against the point of the original JP, which was to show the dinosaurs as animals rather than monsters...

Brocc21

Quote from: Funk on September 18, 2019, 12:19:23 AM
QuoteThe Jw dinosaurs definitely have a different style. I want to say they're more modern but I don't know if that's the right word. But I feel like, for example, if McCreery made that moasaur it wouldn't be so spiky and crocodilian.
Hmmm, "modern" probably wouldn't be the right word for a spiky, crocodilian mosasaur. Maybe they're just more "monstrous"?

Which of course also goes against the point of the original JP, which was to show the dinosaurs as animals rather than monsters...

MONSTROUS! That's what I was looking for.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

ZoPteryx

Wow, that 8 or so minutes was, imho, way better than the entire last movie!  :))

Flaffy

DerbesSchuhwerk

I don't know. I really don't like this Allosaurus design. It looks very generic, rather unappealing to me. Very boring. Just a plain looking theropod head with two spikes above it's angry browridges. I don't know exactly why, but it doesn't look very Allosaurus like to me.

ITdactyl

Thanks avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy for sharing the shot of the animatronic. (strange that I haven't seen that anywhere else)

Just glad the Allosaurus is getting nearly the same amount of love as Rexy.  Maybe One-Eye will return with a major role for JW3

In response to (but in no way countering the opinion of) avatar_Appalachiosaurus @Appalachiosaurus ' comment, I'm actually glad One-eye's bite was not depicted as being similar to a Rex' crushing bite.  I'm not sure if it was Collin's intention, but I'm glad we got a depiction of an allosaur that's ill-equipped to tussle with ceratopsians.

stargatedalek

I could see this being the most accurate theropod in the franchise, so I don't understand a lot of the complaints. In general I think the more recent dinosaurs have been leaning more accurate (while the redesigns seem to leaning less accurate?).

The eye socket of the Allo for example I wouldn't even call it shrink-wrapped, there is no indentation around the eye but rather an eye socket shaped crest that is risen above the surface. The eye itself is at the same depth as the area outside the "socket".

It's like they started with an accurate Allosaurus and then made it inaccurate so it would look more in line with the rest of the franchise. I can see how this might make them look stylistically different, but I swear people are so obsessed with finding ways to hate these newer movies that they invent extra reasons. If you don't think they match the art-style than alright, but don't go making baseless claims about accuracy in a franchise where that has never mattered anyway.

ChrisLikesDinos

From what I can tell, the final film version of the Allo in this saw some design tweaks from the maquette and animatronic, and looks better.

But maybe it's just the lighting hiding the design flaws. I'd never guess the animatronic and maquette were an Allo though.

Funk

Quotebut I swear people are so obsessed with finding ways to hate these newer movies that they invent extra reasons
Isn't exactly a tough job.
Quotebut don't go making baseless claims about accuracy in a franchise where that has never mattered anyway.
But apart from the Dilophosaurus, they did attempt to make the dinosaurs accurate in the first three films.

PumperKrickel

deleted

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.