News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan

Concavenator

Deinonychus

Dilophosaurus

Edmontosaurus

Ichthyosaurus

Pachycephalosaurus

Qianzhousaurus

Sarcosuchus

Shringasaurus

Patrx

Egad! That Deinonychus looks very promising :)

Takama

WOW   We asked for it

We got our Updated Edmontosaurus ;D

ZoPteryx

Whoa!  The flood gates have opened and I'm loving it!  :o ;D

I'm drooling over that Deinonychus especially, but these all look really good!  Can't wait to see close-ups!  ^-^

y09urt

Good god they are all beautiful! We need close ups and release dates!!!

CityRaptor

Those are all looking good so far, but I think one creature stands out: Shringasaurus, the real life Slurpasaur!
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

ITdactyl

No pterosaurs...

...and yet, I'm still very happy with this selection - especially the "bird"

PhilSauria

Well that was a pleasant surprise on checking in today! - some interesting choices.

The three that caught my eye (though I'll probably order them all eventually) are the Edmontosaurus, Dilophosaurus and especially the Deinonychus. This one should display well with the feathered Velociraptor.

And good to see that not every therapod has its mouth open roaring at you, makes them seem a tad more naturalistic.

Irritation

This collection of creatures are very stunning. The standouts have to be the Edmontosaurus, the Deinonychus and the Pachy.

suspsy

Well, this is a most welcome piece of news! Hopefully individual images of the toys will follow soon. I reckon I'll be bagging all of them save for the Ichthyosaurus, as I'm perfectly happy with the one from the Carnegie Collection. It does look very nice, though!

I'm also very impressed at how five of the carnivores have closed jaws. The Deinonychus, the Edmontosaurus, and Pachycephalosaurus look especially wonderful. And who isn't pleased to see a new tyrannosaurid?

I do have a couple of criticisms, however. First, has anyone else noticed how Safari tends to favour black, browns, and yellows in their prehistoric lines? The Sarcosuchus could form a fishing team with the Spinosaurus, the Kaprosuchus.

And second, I'm sad that there's no Cenozoic animal.  :(
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

MLMjp

Wow wow wow!
All of this all the sudden??
Ok, ok then...

They had to make that Edmontosaurus an E. regalis, didn't they? My boy E. annectens always being neglected in favor of its crested brother. Still looks great though. And +26cm long! Finally a good sized one!

Ichthyosaurs looks good but as you know I like to collect between 1:40 to 1:30 scale, so its a no for me.

Pachycephalosaurs looks awesome, but again, too big for me.

Shringasaurus...I don't really collect these type of creatures.

Qianzhousaurus looks really good, need to check the size of the real one to see if fits for my collection.

I already want that Concavenator.

That Dilophosaurus will be great replacement for the old one.

Always wanted a Sarcosuchus when I was a kid, but not sure about his one. I wish the mouth was open, he is a good size though.

That Deinonychus looks gorgeous, but I don't want a figure of that size, I want a 1:35-1:30 scale one (No, REBORĀ“s are too big). At that size I would have liked to get a Utahraptor.

Overall some pretty cool future releases!

Faelrin

I just saw these all on my instagram feed. Omg they look so beautiful. I've been wanting a Deinonychus too, and an updated Dilophosaurus and Edmontosaurus. Some of these others here are clearly updated versions of other older Safari Ltd and Carnegie models.

I certainly want most of these if not all of them. Some of these I've never heard of either. Edit: Actually I've heard of all of these, come to think of it, now that I'm able to properly read their names. I'm really interested to know more about that oddball looking one (the Shringasaurus).

Also funny that they have a Sarcosuchus and an Edmontosaurus which Mattel has for next year too.

Edit: I just realized the Dilophosaurus and Deinonychus both have tripod stances with their tails. But well at least they look natural mostly.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Jose S.M.

And here I was thinking I was going to be saving money because there were going to be fewer releases this year. Basically I want them all! I agree there could be more color variety but that has never really bothered me and also gives me repaint material hehehe! I'm very happy.

Renecito

Awesome set of figures!!! Better than 2019 IMO.
I like them all.
Happy to see Shringasaurus, and the paint schemes are very nice, glad they didn't use that hideous plain white stuff.

Insta favorites are:
Deinonychus (Feathered Dinosaurus are the best from Safari)
Sarchosuchus
Shringasaurus

Here is a bigger pic:

Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Mattyonyx

The Deinonychus reminds me of Jed Taylor's illustrations.
Also, it's interesting to see all this carnivores with a closed mouth.

AcroSauroTaurus

Well, this was unexpected... they look pretty good! Except the Shringasaurus has the body reminiscent of the old skeletal that used an Azendohsaurus body, whereas the newer skeletal looks like this:
I am the Dinosaur King!

TaranUlas

*Deep breathing now... Deep Breathing.... Keep it together...* YEEEEEEEESSSSSSS

Anyway, on to my thoughts on each figure (Just first impressions. I 100% expect the fully detailed pictures to get me much more excited):

Icthyosaurus: Personally I'm thrilled at this one since I still don't have a good Icthyosaur of any kind in my collection. The black and white coloration looks great from here and I'm sure I'll find more accuracy in this one up close.

Qianzhousaurus: Seeing as basically no one else besides PNSO has made this guy, I'm pumped about him. I'm a little surprised this one doesn't have feathers, but I suppose the desire to not eat crow again like the Feathered Tyrannosaurus made them do is a strong motivator.The brownish orange looks really cool.

Shringasaurus: Okay, I absolutely did not expect this one at all. I personally was expecting a Scutosaurus or something like that, but this... this is going to be great. The sheer fact that this animal is getting a widespread release is enough that I am getting this even without seeing further details.

Pachycephalosaurus: Yes. Orange (My favorite color) skin of one of my favorite dinosaurs and it being highly accurate? Just yes.

Edmontosaurus: I bought the now retired Edmontosaurus because I thought that Safari would not be releasing another one too soon.... Me and my big mouth. Luckily it looks like these two are different species of Edmontosaurus so I can still use them both to my advantage when teaching.

Concavenator: I have been waiting for years for a better Concavenator. The Carnegie one was sold out by the time I got back to this hobby, The collecta one looked meh, and the others did not appeal to me. This... This one looks good. I will take it.

Sarcosuchus: I have a Sarcosuchus tooth replica. It has been sitting on my shelf because I can't take it into teaching without something to show with it. This Sarco looks gorgeous and is definitely going to allow me to finally bring the tooth into work.

Dilophosaurus: Same thing as Sarco. Just... bring them to me

Deinonychus: Bring them all to me.

I'm going to buy all of these. I regret nothing. I am curious as to when these will be released out. Last year was really early whereas this year we have been much more delayed. I hope they come out relatively soon. I would like to show these off soon to the people I teach.

Flaffy

Qianzhousaurus is easily a must have. The rest look pretty good as well.

The Shringasaurus is certainly a surprise, but judging from the image only, it seems to lack the robust arched neck of more updated Shringasaurus reconstructions. The horn's keratin is a bit conservative as well.

Really looking forward to seeing close up shots of the Edmontosaurus, Deinonychus and Dilophosaurus. Finally we're getting updated models of these famous but often ignored species.

Pachyrhinosaurus

A solid lineup for sure. The edmontosaurus is definitely a day-one purchase. The colors work perfectly. Also I'm happy to see deinonychus finally done right. For such a popular dinosaur (even if not by name) there aren't really any definitive figures of it out there. Good to see that the Carnegie replacements are still going strong with ichthyosaurus, concavenator, and pachycephalosaurus. My only criticism is that I would have gone with gorgosaurus instead of qianzhousaurus but what they have is unique.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Brontozaurus

That Deinonychus is a must-have. I was planning on getting the Mojo one but Safari's blows it out of the water.

Shringasaurus is a very nice surprise. Might pick that one up just for uniqueness alone.

Also I do love how very chill these new figures are. They look so much like animals now in how they're posed and coloured.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.