News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faelrin

Does anyone know the scales of all these figures?

Here's also all the prices on Dan's Dinosaurs for all the figures (with an estimate shipping date in December):

Concavenator $9.99
Deinonychus $13.99
Dilophosaurus $9.99
Edmontosaurus $27.99
Ichthyosaurus $7.99
Pachycephalosaurus $19.99 (edit: This one has an estimate shipping date of November.)
Qianzhousaurus $12.99
Sarcosuchus $15.99
Shringasaurus $10.99

Edit: Well I've also noticed some of the prices for previous figures on Safari Ltd's website have been increased. Possibly from this trade war stuff going on? They aren't massive price hikes, but thought it was interesting nonetheless, since some of those prices have been the same for years now, such as the Doedicurus which was $4.99 I think and it is now $5.24. Likewise the new Stegosaurus is now over $26.

I also noticed the Guanlong figure is being retired.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TaranUlas

Quote from: Faelrin on October 02, 2019, 02:53:16 AM

Now to be clear, these are 100% based on what we have been given for information. Obviously I cannot measure them along the lengths of their bodies and Doug hasn't revealed yet where he sculpted any of these at (If he has sculpted them all or any of them.) So current understanding as follows:

Concavenator at 1:35: Measuring 19.34 feet long, 7.67 feet tall, and 4.14 feet wide

Shringasaurus at 1:20: Measuring 11.15 feet long, 3.93 feet tall, and 8.05 feet wide

Pachycephalosaurus at 1:20: Measuring 13.54 feet long, 6.67 feet tall, and 4.58 feet wide

Ichthyosaurus at 1:15: Measuring 9.38 feet long, 3.05 feet tall, and 3.29 feet wide

Edmontosaurus at 1:45: Measuring 38.74 feet, 14.06 feet tall, and 9.79 feet wide

Qianzhousaurus at 1:35: Measuring 26.31 feet long, 10.38 feet tall, and 5.54 feet wide

Deinonychus at 1:15: Measuring 10.94 feet long, 4.30 feet tall, and 2.19 feet wide

Sarcosuchus at 1:30: Measuring 25.93 feet long, 5.63 feet tall, and 6.55 feet wide

Dilophosaurus at 1:40: Measuring 21.23 feet long, 10 feet tall, and 4.37 feet wide.

I rounded most of these down so the actual max scale is probably a bit higher, but these are where I think our starting points should be for scale. Also to be clear, these will probably become much more accurate when I don't have to squint for the inches and can actually take some measuring tape along the bodies.

suspsy

Here's also all the prices on Dan's Dinosaurs for all the figures (with an estimate shipping date in December):

Concavenator $9.99
Deinonychus $13.99
Dilophosaurus $9.99
Edmontosaurus $27.99
Ichthyosaurus $7.99
Pachycephalosaurus $19.99 (edit: This one has an estimate shipping date of November.)
Qianzhousaurus $12.99
Sarcosuchus $15.99
Shringasaurus $10.99

I'm surprised that the Pachycephalosaurus is more expensive than the Sarcosuchus. Also wincing at the price tag on the Edmontosaurus.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Brocc21

I was betting on an Albertosaurus. But Quianzhousaurus is a surprise for sure, but a welcome one.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Vidusaurus

I'm a bit disappointed on the lack of feathers on Qianzhousaurus, Dilophosaurus and possibly Pachycephalosaurus, but at least they all have lips! I think this is the strongest set of figures released in a single year for a long time.

Brocc21

Do we know who sculpted these. Because from just looking they all feel like our very own Doug Watson work.
"Boy do I hate being right all the time."

Syndicate Bias

just checked front page nevermind that

Faelrin

avatar_suspsy @suspsy Yeah I'm not exactly pleased to see both of those so pricey (like is the case for the Stegosaurus), but maybe the complex paint scheme adds to them, other then size maybe.

avatar_TaranUlas @TaranUlas Thanks. Those will certainly be helpful to me in the mean time.

Edit: So I was looking at the Carnegie and some older Safari Ltd figures on the Dinotoycollector site, and seems like there's only a few left that could use replacements or updates. Hopefully I didn't miss anything.

Carnegie species left:

• Albertosaurus
  • Baryonyx
  • Beipiaosaurus
  • Caudipteryx (is this needed with the Citipati?)
  • Corythosaurus
  • Cryolophosaurus
  • Deinosuchus
  • Deltadromeus
  • Dilong
  • Euoplocephalus
  • Maiasaura
  • Miragaia
  • Mosasaurus
  • Oviraptor (is this needed with the Citipati?)
  • Plateosaurus
  • Protoceratops
  • Saltasaurus
  • Sinraptor
  • Tanystropheus
Could be updated or replaced if retired?:

• Acrocanthosaurus?
  • Andrewsarchus
  • Arsinoitherium?
  • Brachiosaurus?
  • Ceratosaurus?
  • Gorgosaurus
  • Guanlong
  • Hypacrosaurus
  • Kentrosaurus
  • Leptoceratops
  • Mosasaurus
  • Nigersaurus
  • Postosuchus?
  • Rhamphorhynchus?
  • Tapejara?
  • Utahraptor
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Brontozaurus

Do you think some of those have been replaced with different species? E.g. Postosuchus could have been replaced with Prestosuchus, and Deinosuchus could have been replaced by Sarcosuchus (considering that Sarco is a bit more clearly distinct).

Not ruling out any of them being planned later (I'd love a new Deinosuchus, it was *the* prehistoric crocodile when I was a kid), just considering since Safari are doing some species that are fairly similar to the older toys.
"Uww wuhuhuhuh HAH HAWR HA HAWR."
-Ian Malcolm

My collection! UPDATED 21.03.2020: Dungeons & Dinosaurs!

ZoPteryx

More thoughts on these after seeing the larger image (thanks avatar_Renecito @Renecito  ^-^)

Ichthyosaurus:  We knew one had to be coming eventually, wish it'd been a more exotic genus, but this is a very fine ichthyosaur none the less.

Qianzhousaurus:  Awesome!  Even without feathers, I still really like it.  Nice and lean as these alioramini tyrannosaurs are supposed to be.

Pachycephalosaurus:  Easily the best one on the market!  Nice original colors and relaxed pose, just wish it was a bit smaller to scale properly with its Hell Creek contemporaries.

Concavenator:  Really nice!  Equal to the Carnegie imho.

Dilophosaurus:  Finally a worthy Dilophosaurus!  Super accurate and I love the alert posture.

Deinonychus:  AND a worthy Deinonychus!  Absolutely regal.  Like avatar_Mattyonyx @Mattyonyx said, it really does recall Jed Taylor's art, which is a very good thing!  ;D

Sarcosuchus:  About time we had a decent Super Croc!  I was initially thinking it was a bit small, but it seems Sarcosuchus's max size has been scaled down a bit recently.

Edmontosaurus:  Hay, lots of us called it!  :))  Looks really good, nice and big too.  I agree with avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp that it would've been nice to see E. annectens instead, but then again, imagine the price tag if this figure was 4 inches larger...  avatar_TaranUlas @TaranUlas I'm pretty sure both the retired figure and this new one are intended to be E. regalis.  That said, they could still be used as a teaching aid to demonstrate how our understanding of dinosaur appearance changes as new evidence arises.  Ditto the Deinonychus compared to a JP raptor.  ^-^

Shringasaurus:  Super cool to see this obscure figure made!  That said, I share avatar_AcroSauroTaurus @AcroSauroTaurus 's disappointment that it's not based on the updated skeletal.  I recall that being a fairly recent development though (early this year), so I'd guess the figure was probably already developed by then.

Quote from: suspsy on October 02, 2019, 12:09:27 AM
I do have a couple of criticisms, however. First, has anyone else noticed how Safari tends to favour black, browns, and yellows in their prehistoric lines? The Sarcosuchus could form a fishing team with the Spinosaurus, the Kaprosuchus.

Lol, it's definitely becoming a theme.  Could probably include the Carcharadontosaurus on that list too, sans the black markings.  I guess there was just a lot of mud and sand dunes to blend into in Cretaceous North Africa.  :))

And second, I'm sad that there's no Cenozoic animal.  :(

Me too.  I was so sure this would be the year of Ambulocetus...  :'(

Ravonium

Well, this is some nice news. Just as I and others predicted, there's a slightly reduced lineup this year...Now for my opinions:

Concavenator: Glad to see there's finally a decent new one to fill the void of the Carnegie version (that fixes all of that version's shortcomings). Will be getting this one.

Dilophosaurus: Also glad to see that they're finally remaking this one. As good as Papo's version is, it doesn't compare to this one at all, so this figure will replace it in my collection.

Qianzhousaurus: Finally, there's a decently sized figure of this genus. I'll likely be getting this one, although it's not as much of a priority as the previous two, as I feel the colour scheme on it is a bit dull.

Ichthyosaurus: New ichthyosaur figures are always good news for me, and this one is no exception (although admittedly, I'd've preferred a more obscure genus). EDIT: While this figure is smaller than the Carnegie version, it isn't by much, so I'll likely pass on it (should probably get around to getting the CapsuleQ version, as that one is pretty much 1:40)

Shringasaurus: While I'm excited to see this genus finally be represented in toy form, it does have the misfortune of being based on a now-inaccurate skeletal (although that was only a recent discovery recently asserted, so I can forgive them for that). I'll wait until CollectA's reveals before deciding whether to get this one, just incase they make a more accurate one next year as well, although as that seems unlikely, I'll probably still end up getting this one.

Pachycephalosaurus: This one isn't a bad figure by any means, but unless someone convinces me that this figure is more accurate, I think I'll get CollectA's 2014 version instead, as it is better-sized and coloured.

Edmontosaurus: This one is a bit small for my scale preferences, but it is better-sized than their last figure of this genus, so I'll likely get this one regardless.

Sarchosuchus: Not a bad figure, but again, unless someone convinces me that this figure is more accurate, I'll think I'll get REBOR's upcoming version instead. EDIT: After being able to look at the proper dimensions of this figure, I'll likely get it instead of the REBOR version - it's closer to 1:40 scale. Besides, it is nice to finally see a crocodilian figure in a walking pose.

Deinonychus: This one is the undeniable star of the lineup; frankly I think this one is set to be more approved of than the already-excellent feathered Velociraptor, as the closed mouth* means paint issues with the teeth will be impossible. I also personally prefer this one's colour scheme to that of the Velociraptor (and yeah, it is definitely reminiscent of Jed Taylor's artwork). Definitely getting this one.

*speaking of which; I'm very happy to see that most of the theropods and the single crocodile this year have closed mouths. Hopefully other companies will do this as well with their non-articulated figures.

EDIT: In summary, I think I'll end up getting all except the Pachycephalosaurus and Ichthyosaurus.

Flaffy

Is the Safari Deinonychus based on an outdated reconstruction of the skull? The eye also seems really far back.

compared to:

Shonisaurus

Wow! A quianzhousaurus, shringasaurus, sarcosuchus, edmontosaurus (updated) and the expected concavenator! by Safari among other figures. I can't wait to see them physically. Honestly this year is a year for Safari much better than it was rumored. Unfortunately there is no prehistoric mammal (paraceratherium) but I am aware that those figures do not have a success comparable to other prehistoric animals even among collectors and fans of the prehistoric world.

The dilophosaurus, deinonichus, ichthyosaurus and pachycephalosaurus represent the classic dinosaurs in the toy / collecting market. By the way, what are the figures sculpted by Doug Watson? Can we know in the near future?

What attracts me most about the Safari collection is that prehistoric animals are made without scale for me is a point in their favor. I am not a fan of scales.

Kileskus

Edmontosaurus - the best-looking in the line. The only issue is its an E. regalis, E. annectens would be more apropriate cause it would fit their other Hell Creek figures.
Concavenator - not the most wanted dinosaur for me, cause its always too big for most common scale and already have good Carnegie figure. I like this figure though.
Shringasaurus - interesting choice, obscure Triassic reptile.
Ichthyosaurus - this group of animals deserves some good models, would be nice to see this animal next to Collecta's ones.
Qianzhousaurus - good-looking, but paint seems to be a little boring.
Deinonychus - second best in line.
Sarchosuchus - kinda dissapointing. It just can't show us all the beauty that crocodiles have and crocodilomorphs had.
Dilophosaurus - possible more accurate than Papo, but less detailed. All what you expect from Safari figures.
Pachycephalosaurus - probably best model of this taxon.

Kileskus

Quote from: TaranUlas on October 02, 2019, 03:25:01 AM

Now to be clear, these are 100% based on what we have been given for information. Obviously I cannot measure them along the lengths of their bodies and Doug hasn't revealed yet where he sculpted any of these at (If he has sculpted them all or any of them.) So current understanding as follows:

Concavenator at 1:35: Measuring 19.34 feet long, 7.67 feet tall, and 4.14 feet wide

Shringasaurus at 1:20: Measuring 11.15 feet long, 3.93 feet tall, and 8.05 feet wide

Pachycephalosaurus at 1:20: Measuring 13.54 feet long, 6.67 feet tall, and 4.58 feet wide

Ichthyosaurus at 1:15: Measuring 9.38 feet long, 3.05 feet tall, and 3.29 feet wide

Edmontosaurus at 1:45: Measuring 38.74 feet, 14.06 feet tall, and 9.79 feet wide

Qianzhousaurus at 1:35: Measuring 26.31 feet long, 10.38 feet tall, and 5.54 feet wide

Deinonychus at 1:15: Measuring 10.94 feet long, 4.30 feet tall, and 2.19 feet wide

Sarcosuchus at 1:30: Measuring 25.93 feet long, 5.63 feet tall, and 6.55 feet wide

Dilophosaurus at 1:40: Measuring 21.23 feet long, 10 feet tall, and 4.37 feet wide.

I rounded most of these down so the actual max scale is probably a bit higher, but these are where I think our starting points should be for scale. Also to be clear, these will probably become much more accurate when I don't have to squint for the inches and can actually take some measuring tape along the bodies.
Edmontosaurus IMO fits in 1:35-40 too. For some reason, anyone loves to forget that not every edmontosaurus was giant, 40-50 feet beast, majority of specimens look like they not often suprassed 10 m size.

PrimevalRaptor

Now those are some reeeaaally neat releases there (and I still gotta catch up on some older models, good lord :D)
Wish the Qianzhousaurus was feathered but still neat to see the genus represented. Sarcosuchus is great and in a nice calm pose compared to the usual dramatic ones you get big crocs in. In general lots of great poses here, the Dilophosaurus also stands out quite a bit to me, very naturalistic! Concavenator is really great too, even if I'd prefer a more fleshed out hump. Edmontosaurus is spectacular too, but my favorite out of all of them has to be the Deinonychus, finally a really good, accurate model of this iconic guy! I thought the Safari Velociraptor was already perfect but this one seems to one-up it! Great work! :D

DragonRider02

What a pleasing surprise!
I absolutelly LOVE that Deinonychus, it's BEAUTIFUL! I can't wait to have it!
Although I am slightly dissapointed that other theropods seem to be lacking feathers (I can't tell for sure from those blurry photos)... Shouldn't Concavenator have those quills on the arms?

ITdactyl

Quote from: Flaffy on October 02, 2019, 07:46:17 AM
Is the Safari Deinonychus based on an outdated reconstruction of the skull?

This is my one paleo sin.  I didn't really react to the big transition from "slightly bird-like" to fully feathered theropod.  But I grew up with and loved the pointed skull reconstruction, and having a hard time letting that image go - even if the more rectangular reconstruction is the correct one.

I did notice the head seemed different from more recent art/reconstructions, but I was already sold on the nice feather coat and relaxed posture.

Concavenator

I think the Deinonychus is the star of the lineup.It's about time someone made a good figure of this iconic creature. Funny enough, I actually chose Deinonychus as one of my suggestions for 2021 when Safari asked for those some days ago  ;D

It looks good and very natural, but I want to see better, and more pics of it. I don't know, but shouldn't it have a stiff tail?  ??? I have always heard dromaeosaurs had stiff tails, so as good as it looks in that natural pose, I don't know if it's accurate.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.