News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I really like the edmontosaurus of Safari because the sculpture is updated according to new scientific discoveries. It seems at first glance that the figure is quite detailed, the painting of the dinosaur is great especially with its red bump on the head.

Safari sarcosuchus modeling is pretty good. In case you cannot buy me for economic reasons, the one from Rebor I always have the one from Safari. I like that they make carnivorous figures with the jaws closed and I applaud the decision of Safari and other than that the carnivores have lips and do not show with the protruding teeth as if they were creatures of terror. I like this demystification of prehistoric animals by Safari based on the latest scientific discoveries.

Safari pachycephalosaurus looks magnificent I do not care or bother me at all that its size is larger and that it is not made to scale, its modeling gives the impression that it is very good and apart from that it is not tripod the only thing that does not I like it is its yellow paint sincerely abuse light warm colors (yellow / brown / beige) figures of prehistoric Safari animals.

The shringasaurus of Safari is a figure that I celebrate being carried out although it is perhaps one of the weakest figures of this year. I do not like the arrangement of the horns with the naked eye (bird's eye considering that the photo is defective), I also celebrate that they have done it with a closed jaw.

The bipedal and concavenator Safari with the jaw closed is perhaps the best figure to date beating his Carnegie counterpart. You still have to evaluate your modeling when you look more closely.

The feathered deinonychus Safari with its jaw closed and beautifully modeled (with the naked eye) with that colorful feather makes it the best deinonychus figure to date and leaves in a place of shame the set of three degieonychus of Carnegie although it must be taken into account that this sculptural set was made more than thirty years ago.

The ichythiosaurus of Safari is a pretty figure but for me the least interesting of the set and a very manic figure in the collecting of the toy dinosaur. It may be perhaps the best of its kind but for me it is the least interesting.

Safari Dilophosaurus for me is very important that they have made this figure at last with the jaw closed! It will be my first dilophosaurus with those characteristics and I see that it is a tripod figure however it is a very interesting figure.

Safari Qianzhousaurus, in this case I celebrate that it is done with the open jaw is an unpublished theropod in my collection and therefore it will be welcome, it seems to be an outstanding figure what perhaps a touch of paint like the Edmontosaurus would have been good for putting An example.

I regret that there is no pterosaur, marine reptile, or unfortunately prehistoric mammal (my longed for paraceratherium will have to wait) however Safari far exceeds at first sight (details will have to be seen) to prehistoric animals made in 2019 and 2018. I think That is going to be a year of luxury on Safari's part.

Shonisaurus

I pass a blog.everythingdinosaurus link where you can see all the new Safari models in greater detail. They say magnificent retreat what was said to the shringasaurus of Safari (negative reviews) looks better than previously thought, the qianzhousaurus Safari looks spectacular. I pass the link without further ado,

https://blog.everythingdinosaur.co.uk/blog/_archives/2019/10/02/new-for-2020-wild-safari-prehistoric-world-models.html

As a postdata, I have said what I have said to prehistoric marine reptiles, there is an ichythiosaurus named in my previous post and I mistakenly omitted regretting that this year they had not performed marine reptiles.

MLMjp

Thanks for the link avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus. That gives us a much better look at the figures!

Notice how the Pachycephalosaurs has an injure on its dome, talk about details!

Also Sarcosuchus looks better here, but I still think he should have its mouth open.

suspsy

Perhaps someone can add these to the OP?

IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

I think it's nice to have the Sarcho with its mouth closed, it makes it more unique since most of the crocodilomorph figures have an open mouth. Same for most of the other figures. I know close mouthed figures are not that dynamic for poses and play but I prefer them like that.

Flaffy

The sarco's nostrils look really big

Renecito

Quote from: Shonisaurus on October 02, 2019, 12:25:38 PM
I regret that there is no pterosaur, marine reptile,

What about the ichthyosaurus.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Good god these coming releases blew me away! This may be the first year that I purchase nearly the entire lineup... even the ones that are outside my 1:40-ish scale preference! So happy about Edmontosaurus and Deinonychus specifically, but incredibly pleased to finally have Qianzhousaurus and Concavenator as well. The rest I could maybe leave if my wallet demanded it, but I want them so bad, too! I especially want to support the production of obscure weirdos like Shringasaurus.   :D

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

I do note that the paint looks a little off on some of these (yet fantastic on others), but hopefully that's just because they're prototypes or something. I wouldn't call it sloppy exactly, but something about some of the faces looks a little weird. Maybe the paint is too thickly applied on the closed mouths?

Dan

suspsy

CollectA should be starting their own reveals next month. I can't help but wonder if there will end up being overlap with Safari as there has been for the last two or three years. They definitely do need to replace their old Dilophosaurus at some point.

Flaffy

I like how the Pachycephalosaurus has similar scale and osteoderm details to their "Dracorex".

Renecito

Quote from: suspsy on October 02, 2019, 05:57:02 PM
CollectA should be starting their own reveals next month. I can't help but wonder if there will end up being overlap with Safari as there has been for the last two or three years. They definitely do need to replace their old Dilophosaurus at some point.

I have a feeling that CollectA will come up with a Shringasaurus as well.
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

Ravonium

I do agree that Dilophosaurus and Shringasaurus are the two most likely figures here to also be released by CollectA. While I'd personally prefer the latter to be made, I think the former is more likely.

Faelrin

I just realized that this is like the first year in a while that Safari Ltd is not releasing a new ceratopsian.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

TaranUlas

Quote from: Faelrin on October 02, 2019, 06:47:12 PM
I just realized that this is like the first year in a while that Safari Ltd is not releasing a new ceratopsian.

And yet with the Pachycephalosaurus, they are still in Marginocephalia. So that I guess now the tradition is one Marginocephalia dinosaur?

Quote from: ZoPteryx on October 02, 2019, 07:21:45 AM
Edmontosaurus:  Hay, lots of us called it!  :))  Looks really good, nice and big too.  I agree with avatar_MLMjp @MLMjp that it would've been nice to see E. annectens instead, but then again, imagine the price tag if this figure was 4 inches larger...  avatar_TaranUlas @TaranUlas I'm pretty sure both the retired figure and this new one are intended to be E. regalis.  That said, they could still be used as a teaching aid to demonstrate how our understanding of dinosaur appearance changes as new evidence arises.  Ditto the Deinonychus compared to a JP raptor.  ^-^

Very true with this one. I suspect it was as well so that comparison idea does sound pretty neat. I will most definitely use it like that as well as the Deinonychus (Although I will probably first have to introduce them to the species as a whole. The kids sometimes know them and sometimes don't. It depends on how big of paleo nerds they are.)

Quote from: Kileskus on October 02, 2019, 08:49:23 AM
Edmontosaurus IMO fits in 1:35-40 too. For some reason, anyone loves to forget that not every edmontosaurus was giant, 40-50 feet beast, majority of specimens look like they not often suprassed 10 m size.

True, but in fairness, I prefer putting any of my scales out at the higher end of any animal. More accurately, I look at the max size (40 feet for Edmontosaurus) and figure out what scale that matches to for the figure (Personally I prefer doing it in person so that I can measure the whole animal from nose to tail along the twists and curves. Obviously couldn't do that here.) I usually use an excel sheet to do the math for me since this can be somewhat complicated mathwise. Then I round down to 0 or 5 so that its nice and even. Usually 1:35-1:45 is a pretty malleable scale as long as the animal isn't at its max at 1:35 or min at 1:45.

At 1:35, the measurements for Edmontosaurus come out to 30.13 feet long, 10.94 feet tall, and 7.61 feet wide. I think this is perfectly acceptable as well. Whether you want your Edmontosaurus as an average member of its herd or as the old male or female leading the herd (Do we know if their herds were matriarchal or patriarchal? Were they led by mates?) it can fit for either one.

Silvanusaurus

The Deinonychus is the only one I need, though the rest do look like beautiful specimens. That Deinonychus is something else, I love the closed mouths on all of the carnivores, about darn time. 

suspsy

Quote from: Renecito on October 02, 2019, 06:04:23 PM

Shringasaurus isn't from the Palaeozoic, though. I'm hoping we get something along the lines of Cotylorhynchus, Scutosaurus, Lystrosaurus, or Inostrancevia.

But we shall see.

tanystropheus

Quote from: MLMjp on October 02, 2019, 12:13:43 AM

Shringasaurus...I don't really collect these type of creatures.

Those are the best types actually because they are so rare to exist in toy or model form. Great to see an updated Dilo (without the mouse tail), although the previous version sported much better colors. Accurate Dilos are also super rare. Also, I'm pleased to see some more renditions of Sarco by WS, Mattel and REBOR.

The Pachy will go well with the Dracorex (I suppose we can expect a Stiggy next year ;)). The Deinonychus should also go very well with the recently released Velociraptor (the fluffy neck girth does give it a distinct avian quality e.g. ducks and puffins)

tanystropheus

Quote from: suspsy on October 02, 2019, 10:15:54 PM
Quote from: Renecito on October 02, 2019, 06:04:23 PM

Shringasaurus isn't from the Palaeozoic, though. I'm hoping we get something along the lines of Cotylorhynchus, Scutosaurus, Lystrosaurus, or Inostrancevia.

But we shall see.

I would like to see Mattel (especially, since Kenner attempted a few of them) and REBOR (REBOR's Komodo dragon :o review by Everything Dinosaur. Enough said) make some of those as well.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.