News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Safari 2020

Started by Dan, October 01, 2019, 11:00:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Doug Watson

Quote from: Dinoxels on October 07, 2020, 02:13:38 PM
Quote from: Jose S.M. on October 07, 2020, 02:07:53 PM
I have a question regarding the Concavenator and since it's a 2020 figure this is probably the best place to do it I guess. Is about it's skull, it looks to me different than most of other figures I've seen I don't know if it's because it's mouth is closed or what, so how accurate it is?
It isn't that accurate, the head is far too Allosaur like and slightly too triangle-like in shape.

avatar_Dinoxels @Dinoxels I believe you made the same claim earlier probably in this thread. I used the original paper on Concavenator from 1993 but for the skull I used the much more recent 2018 paper "The cranial osteology of Concavenator corcovatus  (Theropoda; Carcharodontosauria) from the Lower Cretaceous of Spain
Elena Cuesta, Daniel Vidal, Francisco Ortega, José L. Sanz 2018
Below is the more recent restoration of the skull from that paper. I believe I captured their restoration correctly are you saying I wasn't successful in representing their findings or do you just not agree with the authors?

Dinoxels

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Thanks for the reply, what I am mentioning is that the head slopes down really quickly on the sculpt, while on the skull you used for reference it slopes down gradually. Here is a side by side comparison if anyone is curious.

If there is something I am not seeing here please let me know.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Sim

avatar_Dinoxels @Dinoxels I think it's just that the crests have keratin extensions which wouldn't be visible on the skull.

Loon

Quote from: Sim on October 08, 2020, 10:26:08 PM
avatar_Dinoxels @Dinoxels I think it's just that the crests have keratin extensions which wouldn't be visible on the skull.

Yeah, that's what it looks like to me.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Dinoxels on October 08, 2020, 10:27:19 AM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Thanks for the reply, what I am mentioning is that the head slopes down really quickly on the sculpt, while on the skull you used for reference it slopes down gradually. Here is a side by side comparison if anyone is curious.

If there is something I am not seeing here please let me know.

avatar_Dinoxels @Dinoxels as avatar_Sim @Sim and avatar_Loon @Loon have already pointed out I added lacrimal horns to the head that breaks the curve from the front to the back of the head dorsally. If you still want to quibble that it slopes too abruptly through the nasals fine I won't try to change your opinion what I find disturbing is that this one aspect is all you have pointed out yet you made the broad statement that "It isn't that accurate". I do my best to do the research and to represent the latest findings, I'm not perfect but I try at least.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Sim on October 08, 2020, 10:26:08 PM

I think the visible rugose texture on the lachrymals pretty much proves they should have some kind of keratin extension. Doug's rendition may even be too conservative.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Halichoeres

They're low-key leaning into the Dino Dana tie-in. Nothing here is new, but the "DINODANA" promo code will get you a discount on some existing offerings.

https://store.safariltd.com/collections/dino-danas-favorite-safari-ltd-dinosaur-toys
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Loon

QuoteDino Dana loves these Safari Ltd. Dinosaur Figurines. Check out the cute Brachiosaurus baby, the friendly Triceratops, and the giant Gigantosaurus!

And here I thought Dino Dana was an expert...tsk, tsk...

Flaffy

avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Been meaning to ask, have you tried/considered sculpting the sharp bits (mostly just the claws tbh) of your models longer? So that when Safari inevitably dulls down the sharpness for child safety., the length of the claws would still accurately match up with fossil evidence.
Even if Safari's editing did not drastically shorten the claw, the increased length could still be explained by well-developed keratin sheaths.

For example, your original 2019 Allosaurus sculpt had faithfully depicted the enlarged thumb claw of the genus. But in the final product, this defining trait was unfortunately lost due to Safari's tinkering, leaving round nubs on all 3 fingers that are of equal length.

Sim

I keep hearing that the final toy version of the 2019 WS Allosaurus doesn't have the enlarged thumb claw, but my one does.  The thumb claw is the biggest claw and longest claw on its hands.  Is ths different on other people's copies?

I'm not convinced sculpting the pointy bits longer is a good idea, I wouldn't want them to end up too long on the final figure.

Jose S.M.

Mine has it a bit larger than the other ones. But just a bit. It's hard to notice unless you examine it closer.

John

Quote from: Sim on October 10, 2020, 05:03:57 PM
I keep hearing that the final toy version of the 2019 WS Allosaurus doesn't have the enlarged thumb claw, but my one does.  The thumb claw is the biggest claw and longest claw on its hands.  Is ths different on other people's copies?

I'm not convinced sculpting the pointy bits longer is a good idea, I wouldn't want them to end up too long on the final figure.
Mine shows the proper sized claws too. :)
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

SidB

On the other hand, so to speak, my figure lacks the larger claw. It's such a fine piece otherwise. Definitely on my modification list.

Doug Watson

Quote from: Flaffy on October 10, 2020, 10:38:19 AM
avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson Been meaning to ask, have you tried/considered sculpting the sharp bits (mostly just the claws tbh) of your models longer? So that when Safari inevitably dulls down the sharpness for child safety., the length of the claws would still accurately match up with fossil evidence.
Even if Safari's editing did not drastically shorten the claw, the increased length could still be explained by well-developed keratin sheaths.

For example, your original 2019 Allosaurus sculpt had faithfully depicted the enlarged thumb claw of the genus. But in the final product, this defining trait was unfortunately lost due to Safari's tinkering, leaving round nubs on all 3 fingers that are of equal length.

I've tried different things over the years, lately I make them the correct size but leave the tips blunter than normal in the hopes they will pass the penetration test. I don't make them longer intentionally however I would rather start out with them as accurate as possible and hope for the best rather than having them inaccurate to begin with and ending up worse. In the end they are toys and have to meet the safety regulations and I can live with that.
As S @SidB mentions they can be modified.

Over9K

I know it's not 'New For 2020', but it IS 2020 and it's new to me! Loving the Giganotosaurus!

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Over9K on October 27, 2020, 04:15:05 AM
I know it's not 'New For 2020', but it IS 2020 and it's new to me! Loving the Giganotosaurus!

I prefer the EoFauna version
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

SidB

avatar_Over9K @Over9K , I like this figure a whole lot too. The paleoartist is a talented person, whoever she/ he is. I think that this is in someway an underrated figure. However it seems to be doing okay in the new poll.

ceratopsian

I have a soft spot for it too.  It's a very elegant figure.  (And has never had problems with staying upright.)

Quote from: SidB on October 28, 2020, 10:27:05 PM
avatar_Over9K @Over9K , I like this figure a whole lot too. The paleoartist is a talented person, whoever she/ he is. I think that this is in someway an underrated figure. However it seems to be doing okay in the new poll.

Concavenator

I made my first and only dinosaur-related purchase of the year yesterday. I know this year there has been a lot of amazing new figures, and since I'm an extremely slow collector (I only get 1 or 2 figures per year), there are great figures from other years that I don't have either. This year I'm only getting 1 new model (for Christmas, and I'm surprised it will get here on time!) and it's the Safari Deinonychus.

This was a must have for me. One of the most important dinosaurs and one of my favorite dinosaurs, I have been hoping for a good an up to date representation of Deinonychus since I was very very little (around 7-8  ;D ). Every year I would think: "Let's see if this year Deinonychus gets made" but right after I would think: "Oh, it's a Deinonychus so it won't get made". Seriously, I don't understand how there is only 1 good figure of this so important dinosaur. I'm very happy Safari broke the cycle and finally gave us this gorgeous model. I want to thank and congratulate avatar_Doug Watson @Doug Watson for having created this stunning piece and for making it possible that I will finally have a Deinonychus in my collection. I'm very excited to welcome the best dromaeosaur toy in my collection!  :D It's going to be one of my most beloved figures. I'm glad to do my tiny bit of support to Safari too during these difficult times. If you have this stunning figure in your collection, consider yourself lucky!

Shonisaurus

avatar_Concavenator @Narutoceratops I'm honestly going to imitate you in wisdom and above all common sense when it comes to spending on dinosaurs. I don't think you are a slow collector, you are above all wise. You cannot have all the dinosaurs and in this case it is honestly better to prioritize by economic sense and first and foremost by the issue of space. I am very happy that you have obtained the deinonychus from Safari, it is one of the best figures of that dinosaur that exist in the market if not the best. My congratulations. Merry Christmas!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.