News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

CollectA—New for 2020

Started by suspsy, October 31, 2019, 08:45:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duna

The protoceratops looks good, painting meh, it's too large but as I have no protoceratops in my collection, I think that it's a good model for me, but I may wait for a smaller one, displaying a protoceratops as big as a parasaurolophus does not fit in my humble collection. Same about the microraptor, though so I'll be passing. Looking for a most accurate and tinier version.
As for room issues I only collect the most common and representative species of dinos with few exceptions (and other prehistoric reptiles) so fukuisaurus is a pass for me.
I don't collect figures with bases so the same about the baryonyx and its Deluxe cousin.
I'm really looking forward to the second part of the revelations!  :)

Jose S.M.

The only ones that interest me of this batch are the Protoceratops and Fukuisaurus, but I'm conflicted about both. For one I think Doug can make an incredible proto and I think I will wait for that a bit more. And I went to some trouble getting the favorite fukui so I don't know if I can replace it.

Mattyonyx

Fukuisaurus: I'm not really into the Fukui dinosaur, although I think the Fukuisaurus will pair well with the Fukuivenator.
Microraptor: I hope CollectA reads some comments about the tail and changes the sculpt in time, otherwise it would be a missed opportunity.
Protoceratops: I think it's cool, it has a really active pose and I can't help but wonder if CollectA is planning to make a Deluxe Velociraptor too.
Baryonyx: I must admit I was looking forward to something like this, as I prefer the smaller models over the Deluxe versions. It has all the artistic licenses that make it unique and the sculpt is not ruined y the jaw articulation. Also, the pose seems to be more natural.

MLMjp

Underwhelming reveals to be honest.

Protoceratops looks good but I don't need a 1/6 scale figure of it.
Fukuisaurus also looks good but I don't think it is going to be in the 1/40 scale considering its a deluxe and the animal itself wasn't that big, in case I am right then it would be another pass.
Microraptor...who needs this when you have the superior Safari version?
And who needs that Baryonyx when you have a bigger and more detailed deluxe version?

Ravonium

OK, I guess I should further clarify my opinions on these figures:

Deluxe 1:40 Fukuisaurus: Nice little figure, definite improvement on their last Japanese dinosaur in terms of sculpt, paintjob and species choice (it may be fragmentary, but at least we know for certain what group it was in, unlike Fukuiraptor). Probably getting this one, even if only to 'vote with my wallet'.
Scale: This is obviously uncertain, but all length estimates I found would make this figure ~1:32 scale. As with most 'Deluxe' figures, it's too large for 1:40, however it is quite a small figure for said line (14cm long)

Deluxe 1:6 Protoceratops: This one isn't bad, however, especially with the BoTM version coming out next year (which I don't plan to get), it feels kind of pointless to make it 'supreme' scale (if it wasn't for that, I'd get this figure).
Scale: ~1:7.5 for a 1.8m long animal

Deluxe 1:6 Microraptor: Other posters have summarised the main things wrong with this figure (tail, odd feathering), so I'd just like to add 2 things to that:
1: The head looks a bit underfeathered
2. To be fair on the figure, looking closely it does appear to have iridescence (on the tail, tips of wings and leg feathers), though this may just be the way they were painted, as opposed to true iridescence.
Overall, not getting this one. Again, it's kind of pointless to make it 'supreme' scale with the BoTM version (and unlike with Proto, the BoTM version here is superior in every way.).
Scale: This figure is ~1:6 scale only for the single highest length estimate for Microraptor. Otherwise, it can be as large as ~1.4 scale.

Standard Baryonyx: While I personally wouldn't get this figure for scale reasons, it is otherwise as good of a figure as its Deluxe cousin, and it is good that those who prefer smaller models have a good version of Baryonyx.
Scale: ~1:50 for a 10m long specimen

Overall, none of these figures are awful (well, except Microraptor), but for what we've been getting from CollectA for the last 4 release cycles, they are pretty unimpressive.

Dinoguy2

It's funny, I saw many people criticising the new Safari lineup for having similar color palates. These are all brown with dark brown spots!

Microraptor: I like the pose, and according to the write up it WILL be iridescent. Is the tail issue specific to M. zhaoianus? I know some people synonymized it with M. gui, but looking at some M. gui specimens I'm not sure it could be said it has the same tail configuration. Still, the lack of feathers on the fingers is inexcusable. Microraptor even had an alula. This is obvious looking at the fossils and diagrams in the papers. To be fair, Safari not only ALSO botched this but went ahead and painted the fingers bright yellow. At least on CollectA one they don't stand out as badly.

Somebody mentioned weirdness with the feet. CollectA has a habit of making their figures stand on fingertips or even toe tips like ungulates, and they have real trouble remembering to include soft tissue pads behind weight bearing digits. Protoceratops has this issue as it is clearly standing on its fingertips and the heel pads are minimal. BotM ceratopsians initially had the same problem but I messaged David about it early on and he fixed it.

Figure designers from ALL companies should spend more time looking at the shape of dinosaur footprints. The feet were very beefy in many species. Ironically Safari and Papo, often criticized for having big feet, come closest to getting this right. (Though usually still a little off... I discuss this in my upcoming YouTube review of the Safari Acro).
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

ImADinosaurRARR

QuoteIt's funny, I saw many people criticising the new Safari lineup for having similar color palates. These are all brown with dark brown spots!

Toy company employees: Right! We have listened to our customers. They really want realism so I think we should reserch realistic anatomy, realistic colours-

Painters: Brown!

Toy company employees: What was that Steve?

Painters: BROWN IS REALISTIC! WE NEED MORE BROWN!!!!

Ceratosaurus blogspot

Quote from: ZoPteryx on November 01, 2019, 03:32:35 AM
(...)
Baryonyx looks nice like the one last year, though I don't really see the point in having two so similar to each other.  :-\

Like tyrannosaurus, Baryonyx may have a good sales demand ... so at standard size, it completes the collections.

Silvanusaurus

I'll be darned if that isn't the dullest line up of reveals in living memory. CollectA seems insistent on imagining that the Mesozoic was the most aesthetically boring time to be alive in the Earth's history, which is an astonishing proposal given the fantastic presence of Dinosaurs.

suspsy

I'm very pleased by the Protoceratops and Fukuisaurus, especially the former's large size. It'll be interesting to how it measures up alongside the 2017 Deluxe Styracosaurus.

The Microraptor's tail, or rather, its lack of distinctive twin tail feathers is unfortunate, but it's not that big a deal for me. It still looks very dynamic and beautifully sculpted. I'll be curious to see more images from different angles.

I'm going to pass on the small Baryonyx, but I don't know why some people are so shocked by it. It's a popular animal, arguably just as much as Spinosaurus. Especially in Europe. CollectA did the same thing in the past with their Tyrannosaurus rex and Deinocheirus.

And yes, judging from this reveal, both CollectA and Safari could benefit from greater variety in their colour schemes. Nevertheless, I think all of these animals look good that way. Those colours work especially well for a desert dweller like Protoceratops. And hey, if people are looking for more varying and vividly coloured prehistoric figures, there's always the 2020 Schleich assortment. Just saying. ;)

Overall, a very promising start. Looking forward to next week's reveal!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Jose S.M.

If collecta releases a smaller Carnotaurus then they will be talking to me! I like the Safari one but it's kind of big! I would put the CollectA in the shelf and take the Safari one to me desk at work!

Ravonium

Quote from: Jose S.M. on November 01, 2019, 01:10:40 PM
If collecta releases a smaller Carnotaurus then they will be talking to me! I like the Safari one but it's kind of big! I would put the CollectA in the shelf and take the Safari one to me desk at work!

Yeah, I would actually be up for smaller versions of Carnotaurus and Ceratosaurus if they're approximately the same size as the smaller Baryonyx. The Deluxe versions of those two, as nice as they are, are a bit big for my liking.

Everything_Dinosaur

A request came in for us to post up on this forum our brief "off the cuff CollectA review", which features the four new figures and provides a little bit more detail.  Here is the video link (4 minutes and 20 seconds long): Everything Dinosaur/CollectA Part 1.

Our reserve lists for these 4 figures have already opened, email us to reserve any or all of these new dinosaur models: Email Everything Dinosaur

We intend to put up similar posts and videos when the next set of models are revealed.

Killekor

CollectA's first new releases surprised me. I like them!
Here's my thoughts about them:

-Protoceratops: I prefear it five thousand times over the BotM one. It's around the same scale (so I can expose it with my BotM Velociraptor), it's aesthetically pleasing, it has a movable jaw too and (hurray!) it doesn't have that "bacon slice" color scheme. I'll surely buy one!

-Fukuisaurus: it's really nice! I like its color scheme and it's really well done. The only thing I don't like of it is its too small size. I'll probably get it anyways.

-Microraptor: inaccurate or not, it's a must have for me! It's pose it's cool, I like how it is sculpted and I'm sure that with the iridescence it will be exceptional! I'll absolutely get it!

-Baryonyx: I never liked the deluxe version, and this smaller version it's not better for me. I prefear the upcoming Schleich version over them.

Anyways, I'm really excited to see the next releases! If these are the first revealed (so probably they are the more "stupid" for CollectA) I'm really curious to see the next ones!

Killekor
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

suspsy

Quote from: Everything_Dinosaur on November 01, 2019, 01:57:22 PM
A request came in for us to post up on this forum our brief "off the cuff CollectA review", which features the four new figures and provides a little bit more detail.  Here is the video link (4 minutes and 20 seconds long): Everything Dinosaur/CollectA Part 1.

Thanks for the video, avatar_Everything_Dinosaur @Everything_Dinosaur. Only did you shoot this in a closet? Looks very cramped in there!
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

By the way, the Collecta brand in its email message every year has announced to me that the protoceratops will have an articulated jaw, which is good news for those who are dinosaur followers with articulated jaws. Sincerely at first glance it does not seem to have the protoceratops of Collecta articulated jaw. It is one of my favorite ceraptosides will replace those of Safari and UKRD.

It is the best and most beautiful protoceratops a toy company has made to date. My congratulations to Collecta.

Renecito

Despite inaccuracies, the microraptor looks beautiful to me, My favorite!!!
Favorite Brands:              Favorite Dinosaurs:
1 - PNSO                        1 - Carnotaurus
2 - Vitae                         2 - Spinosaurus/Suchomimus
3 - Eofauna                     3 - Therizinosaurus
4 - Carnegie Line             4 - Deinocheirus
5 - CollectA                     5 - Gigantoraptor

GojiraGuy1954

Definitely getting the Protoceratops and the Fukui. Might use it as an adult Mantellisaurus
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Kileskus

Very big disappointment. Baryonyx is basically the same figure, microraptor is pass for me as i want to collecta my figures in scale. Protoceratops is good though. Fukuisaurus is nice, but i am not a fan of such fragmentary species, when more complete and well-known ones haven't been made.

Sim

Quote from: Faelrin on November 01, 2019, 04:40:19 AM
Nice choices but a shame the Microraptor is inaccurate, especially for a 2020 figure, when the Safari Ltd, Beasts of the Mesozoic (though if I recall correctly forum member Sim helped with information with that during or after the kickstarter long before production), and PNSO figures have been out for some time. [...]

Yes, from what I remember I was one of a couple of people who helped David get the tail fan shape right, and I also told him about the alula so he could include it in the figure.

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on November 01, 2019, 10:52:19 AM
[...] Still, the lack of feathers on the fingers is inexcusable. Microraptor even had an alula. This is obvious looking at the fossils and diagrams in the papers. To be fair, Safari not only ALSO botched this but went ahead and painted the fingers bright yellow. At least on CollectA one they don't stand out as badly.
[...]

D @Dinoguy2, I'm pretty sure the Wild Safari Microraptor does have an alula.  I should have this figure, I just haven't yet opened the box it's in.  However, it has already been discussed here: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=3390.msg193052#msg193052

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.