News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Looking for documentary, ancient crocodiles, building models

Started by Mini Minmi, November 06, 2019, 01:33:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mini Minmi

Hello Dino Fans,

I saw this documentary some time back that I would love to see again. Alas I'm fairly sure I saw it on YouTube and I can't for the life of me remember enough about it to Google it successfully.

But if I'm lucky, one of you may recognize it and help me identify it.

What I remember:
- it was about a man exploring very different ancestors of crocodiles and building models/puppets of them.
- one of the crocs was a land dweller with long legs that could run but was rather small. I believe the man made a sort of animatronic puppet of that lil guy.
- one of the crocs was one of those "shield head" crocs with a long and wide very flat head and weak jaw that they said could probably just lie down with its mouth open waiting for prey to pass by in its mouth.
- I am pretty sure there was a third model but I don't remember its characteristics. Maybe it was one of the giants.
- I have this vague memory of some quite bad animation showing how these different types of crocodiles would have lived together and interacted in their shared environment occupying different niches.

Anyone know what that documentary was called?

Mini Minmi

I think HD-man found it. Yay  :))

I can't confirm because the video is blocked for my country but it gives me a name to research! Thank you everyone!

stegosauria

I think this documentary was about Paul Sereno and its title: When crocs ate dinosaurs. The lazy crocodile with the long, flat and weak jaws was called PancakeCroc. There was a few terrestrial croc- their nicknames was DogCroc, DuckCroc and RatCroc and Sereno asked somebody to build the dogcroc but it had to be quite mobile (something like a puppet but probably more complicated). And it featured the BoarCroc too, a big croc with 3 big teeth.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.