News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Behold the Blurrg! and other critters from "Star Wars: The Mandalorian"

Started by ITdactyl, November 14, 2019, 07:48:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITdactyl

Behold the Mandalorian, the deadliest bounty hunter in the galaxy.
Behold his mount, the mighty blurrg*.

'Looks like the love-child of a retro Tyrannosaurus and a space Piranha. ;D ;D ;D  I can't tell if the creature designer is being lazy or brilliant.
From Episode 1 of "The Mandalorian", now streaming.

*apparently, this is not the first time the blurrg appeared on a Star Wars TV show - the first appearance being on the 1985 TV movie "Ewoks: The Battle for Endor".  Heh, blurrgs are almost as ancient as me.

Nanuqsaurus

Blurrgs also appeared in Star Wars: The Clone Wars and Star Wars: Rebels animated series, and there's even a blaster named after them (the Blurrg-1120 holdout blaster) in several Star Wars media. They look way weirder in live action than their cartoony counterparts in the animated series though!

CityRaptor

I think I've seen those in the Ewok movies, but that was decades ago. They looked bigger back then. Of course that could be due to them being on screen with Ewoks.

Nope, clearly bigger, as seen on this rather terrible list of "awesome" Movie Dinosaurs.
https://www.weirdworm.com/7-awesome-movie-dinosaurs/
I mean, come on, it got these things, Disneysaurs, Live Action Dino and their pic of "Godzilla" is the marine iguana guy...
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Shonisaurus

It reminds me of that creature's head to the xiphactinus apart from the mentioned piranha.

Loon

I liked the first episode, and would actually be into a blurgg figure, preferably in the 3.75 scale.

ITdactyl

I've always enjoyed the alien fauna of Star Wars.  Episode 2 of the mandalorian added a few more to the list - here's the main creature feature:

Unnamed reptilian rhino that lays a single hairy egg. Creature has been identified as a mudhorn. Yeah, what a creative name.  ;D
Yep, someone seems to have recycled a woolly rhino from another feature.  I am aware a lot of the Star Wars fauna are inspired by prehistoric beasties, so its all good.

I also learned that Yoda's species are carnivores that eat their prey alive by swallowing them whole.  You learn something new every day.

I love this show.

Faelrin

I loved that Woolly Rhino beastie. The egg thing really surprised me too. I mean it was a cool design seeing it had a furry egg, and it would probably be a good way to insulate it too.

Also can we talk about those adorable little hadrosaur looking mouth lizards that were in the beginning of episode 2?

Also I forgot to mention this earlier, but I liked what the Mandalorian guy did with the blurrg. Reminded me of HTTYD, honestly. Also my first impression of seeing the blurrg was that it reminded me of the Guar from Morrowind (aka Elder Scrolls III).

Anyways I'm already hooked on this show. I'm particularly looking forward to what other possible prehistoric looking creatures show up.

Edit: I wonder if any recycled Jurassic Park sound effects will show up in this too. I recall there being some used for some of the creatures added to the first Star Wars film (aka Episode IV A New Hope), in later versions. In fact I'm gonna go back and watch that just to see what sounds those were again. Definitely was one of the herbivores sounds though.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Ravonium

I've not gotten around to watching this show yet, and these creatures are definitely convincing me that I should  :)

ITdactyl

Sabretoothed Mosasaur?  Giant aquatic Gorgonopsid? You decide.  ;D

Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews)

Shonisaurus

The truth that the creators of the "Star Wars" have a warming mind, that is, a disproportionate imagination. They are inspired by prehistoric animals and alien beings. In my case I always liked the whole saga of "Star Wars".

ITdactyl

Hate to break it to you avatar_Stuckasaurus (Dino Dad Reviews) @Stuckasaurus , but I've been slapped with that meme on Facebook as early as the 17th, after I called the mudhorn a woolly rhino.  Guy said he pities me for not being able to identify an "elasmetherium"... with a "/s" to ensure his sarcasm doesn't miss its mark. /s

BlueKrono

Quote from: ITdactyl on November 19, 2019, 04:50:40 AM
Sabretoothed Mosasaur?  Giant aquatic Gorgonopsid? You decide.  ;D

I don't think we ever get a good look at its flippers, but this is obviously a walrus analog that they just threw some scales on. Granted, the tusks would be useful in an icy environment in the same way...
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

ITdactyl

CG Dewback seems a better mount for Mando than the Blurrg. ;D  Didn't even know that some Dewbacks were partially "feathered". ;D  Oh Rexy, you're such an influencer. ;)

Shadowknight1

The CG Dewback sure looks better than the CG Dewbacks Lucas shoehorned into ANH.
I'm excited for REBOR's Acro!  Can't ya tell?

Faelrin

I think the Dewbacks should be most welcome here, if only because of several connections to things that are perhaps more relevant for this forum.

I mean right off the bat I love how the Dewbacks are still using the TLW Triceratops (or Stegosaurus?) sounds here too, as they did back in the 1997 version of ANH/Ep IV/Star Wars, and those after (maybe earlier, but since I haven't seen the original unaltered VHS films since after the 1997 versions came out, I can't remember if they were in before the CGI or not. Edit: In case I wasn't clear enough I did see those original VHS releases, because I certainly have nostalgia for that yub nub song in RotJ, but I haven't seen them since the special edition versions, if that makes better sense). Come to think of it, why did they happen to use the same sound effects? Same guy working on the sound effects or something? I suppose another connection to JP in some way, is that ILM worked on the CGI models for these for those early versions (are they still working on Star Wars stuff after Disney bought the franchise?), who also worked on the JP trilogy.

Maybe not wholly relevant, but additionally for those familiar with the Beasts of the Mesozoic, they might be aware that David sculpted one of these for Hasbro too, which is another unintentional connection to something relevant to the forum here.

With those little fun facts out of the way though, I really am surprised to see they gave it them some feathering or something. I never noticed it earlier. Pretty interesting, especially if this is the first time they had them. Also yes Mando looks really cool on that Dewback, not gonna lie.

And now while I'm thinking of it, I wonder if we'll be seeing some of those other dinosaur (or other prehistoric non-dinosaur) like creatures from the franchise. At the very least I'd love an updated version of the prehistoric looking beastie from the Holiday Special that Boba Fett made his appearance in for the first official time (and after searching for image of it, I've come to learn that it is called an Ichthyodont, which is certainly the kind of name I'd expect on something prehistoric looking, and honestly I like how that name sounds too). I mean it wouldn't hurt to have yet another callback to this would it?

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

ITdactyl

I agree, the Dewback looks great... to bad it had a very short screentime.

avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin, aren't sound effects "owned" by the studios... causing them (especially the minor ones) to be recycled throughout different series?  'Just my guess though.

And I do think the use of animal mounts in The Mandalorian are callbacks to that bit with Bobba Fett and his dino-thingy.

As for your point on the David Silva sculpts, please stop making me regret letting go of my SW beasts. So much regret....

Shonisaurus

The fantastic figures of the "Star Wars" remind me of the creatures that appear in pictures of the Bosco, I was always interested in that series of films and I always liked that painter in both cases by exoticism his fantastic creatures.

Nanuqsaurus

About the dewback feathering, it seems they already had it in A New Hope. I didn't know it either:

Appalachiosaurus

Quote from: ITdactyl on December 09, 2019, 09:38:20 AM
aren't sound effects "owned" by the studios... causing them (especially the minor ones) to be recycled throughout different series?  'Just my guess though.

The Jurassic Park franchise is sound mixed by Skywalker Sound, so Lucasfilm has all the Dinosaur roars they can ever want in their libraries.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.