News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Nanmu Studio - New for 2020

Started by Loon, December 05, 2019, 05:38:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2019, 10:31:17 PM
The only difference in the Papo and Sideshow is size, two extra toenails on the backfeet and pose to a degree.  The body on this one looks the same to my eyes minus the neck/head.

Well, then I'm happy it's closer to the Sideshow version. The Papo always looked off to me.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Loon on December 16, 2019, 04:31:57 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 16, 2019, 04:29:49 PM
Quote from: KeU on December 16, 2019, 01:04:28 PM
There's a PAPO Apatosaurus in the background in the last pic.

Well we knew they were copying Sideshow for the main body, guess they copied a copy instead. I see why I mean it's a fantastic Apatosaurus the Sideshow, but when you have it already and the Papo figure...

It also starts to feel lazy on Nanmu's part.

Well, atleast the body looks a lot more accurate than the Papo.

The only difference in the Papo and Sideshow is size, two extra toenails on the backfeet and pose to a degree.  The body on this one looks the same to my eyes minus the neck/head.

If the price is more affordable than the Sideshow apatosaurus then perhaps I would be encouraged in the future to buy it. I prefer the Sideshow resin apatosaurus but I honestly have no capacity to store that figure or money to buy it. I would settle for the Apatosaurus of Nanmu Studio, it looks like a well finished figure and not being solid PVC ... it will be totally cheaper, in the worst case it will be the price of the giant PNSO figures as its Chinese sauropod already discontinued

On the other hand, if the version is similar to Papo, I honestly do not dislike it, I really like Papo's apatosaurus but it does not have a sauropod size suitable for me, it is very small. I would celebrate a new version of Papo apatosaurus metaphorically speaking in the Nanmu apatosaurus being this one of much better quality and of a more acceptable size.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 16, 2019, 10:42:39 PM

Well, then I'm happy it's closer to the Sideshow version. The Papo always looked off to me.

I'm stuck on the same issue I'm afraid, it has an incorrect Apatosaurus head so it's not very correct to the real animal, but the body is. It's a bit of a mashup.   

https://svpow.com/2011/11/16/sideshow-collectibles-apatosaurus-maquette-part-2-the-head/

Loon

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2019, 01:35:16 AM

I'm stuck on the same issue I'm afraid, it has an incorrect Apatosaurus head so it's not very correct to the real animal, but the body is. It's a bit of a mashup.   

https://svpow.com/2011/11/16/sideshow-collectibles-apatosaurus-maquette-part-2-the-head/
If they were smart, they'd have a swappable accurate head included, so people who didn't want a Jurassic World Apatosaurus could use this as an accurate 1/35 version.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 17, 2019, 01:46:23 AM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on December 17, 2019, 01:35:16 AM

If they were smart, they'd have a swappable accurate head included, so people who didn't want a Jurassic World Apatosaurus could use this as an accurate 1/35 version.

I'd like a swap-able body so I can get a JW Apato lol  I have the accurate ones, so I'm not sure what to make of this..hybrid.

postsaurischian

I kinda like the Nanmu Apatosaurus. I think it's the most interesting figure they have been making so far.
If I wouldn't already have the Sideshow model and the Mo Models Diplodocus, I'd go for it.

"Different size, different feet, different pose, different neck, different head" - isn't that quite enough to make them pretty different?
I have never been able to relate to the opinion that Papo's figure was strongly influenced by Sideshow. I have both and I disagree.
Different eyes, maybe :-\ .

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 16, 2019, 11:13:43 PM
If the price is more affordable than the Sideshow apatosaurus then perhaps I would be encouraged in the future to buy it. I prefer the Sideshow resin apatosaurus but I honestly have no ....... money to buy it.

I bought my Sideshow Apatosaurus when it was first released and paid the usual list price, which was USD $100 less than you paid for a
Battat mini Tyrannosaurus which is made of rubber and is about the size of the Apato's tip of the tail. So money doesn't seem to be the reason.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 17, 2019, 08:06:28 AM
I kinda like the Nanmu Apatosaurus. I think it's the most interesting figure they have been making so far.
If I wouldn't already have the Sideshow model and the Mo Models Diplodocus, I'd go for it.

"Different size, different feet, different pose, different neck, different head" - isn't that quite enough to make them pretty different?
I have never been able to relate to the opinion that Papo's figure was strongly influenced by Sideshow. I have both and I disagree.

I have both as well. Reposing is not exactly different enough to me, but to each their own. Adding two toe nails on the back feet, opening the mouth and curving the head all the while scaling it down still leaves it the same basic sculpt. Nanmu's looks even more identical. As was pointed out you can even see the Papo model being used in the last pic.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: postsaurischian on December 17, 2019, 08:06:28 AM

Quote from: Shonisaurus on December 16, 2019, 11:13:43 PM
If the price is more affordable than the Sideshow apatosaurus then perhaps I would be encouraged in the future to buy it. I prefer the Sideshow resin apatosaurus but I honestly have no ....... money to buy it.

I bought my Sideshow Apatosaurus when it was first released and paid the usual list price, which was USD $100 less than you paid for a
Battat mini Tyrannosaurus which is made of rubber and is about the size of the Apato's tip of the tail. So money doesn't seem to be the reason.

It may be in this case that money is not the reason. I bought the Battat mini tyrannosaurus because maybe it is already one of my last purchases but the Sideshow apatosaurus takes up a lot of space. I would have to buy a closed shelf (luxury that I can't afford) that for me is impossible due to lack of space and money. That is perhaps one of the reasons on the other hand Sideshow has a fabulous apatosaurus but it is made of resin and it would mean many headaches. I can assure you that if I made a lot of money I would buy with all eyes closed all the replicas of dinosaurs and prehistoric resin animals because sincerely their quality is superior to most PVC figures.

The Battat mini tyrannosaurus was an overpriced fad that allowed me to go through the snow-capped tyrannosaurus that I bought from another forum member for the following reason as you say they are rubber, small in size and can be placed on shelves not armored that was the reason I spent that crazy sum of money but I would have preferred to spend a quarter for both figures but for me Battat's prehistoric toy animals like those of Play Visions are cult figures and for me they are two legendary companies that I have been "hooked" since I discovered them.

Loon

New photo of the Mosasaurus paint job.

PhilSauria

The Mattel Mosasaurus never made it over here to Australia and was too expensive to import but then I managed to get the PNSO Mosasaurus so I didn't give the Mattel a second thought after that but this one looks very tempting, though probably too pricey for me, especially since I'll be saving my dough for that Apatosaurus.

So many temptations and so little money! Really makes you prioritise.

tanystropheus

It's clearly inspired by the Papo because there is a Papo in the photo which they likely used as reference. However, it doesn't really matter if they were influenced by Papo or SS or both...the important thing is how accurate is their Apato to the film representation. To be honest, I can't even remember the Apatosaurus too well from the movie...I also don't think Nanmu should not make a similar Apato simply because Papo or SS has already released one. They need to complete their vision for the JP models based on the film. They can't boast of a complete line-up if they are missing the Apato but they probably should have started with the Brachio or Mamenchi instead.

I really don't think Nanmu Studio should appeal to scientific enthusiasts with this JP line. That's not even the point. Perhaps, some time down the road, they can create a brand new line of prehistorics with an emphasis on scientific accuracy.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 26, 2019, 05:39:48 PM
New photo of the Mosasaurus paint job.

I'm a bit concerned about the softness if the body past the head...hope it's just the pic.

Quote from: tanystropheus on December 26, 2019, 10:26:59 PM
It's clearly inspired by the Papo because there is a Papo in the photo which they likely used as reference. However, it doesn't really matter if they were influenced by Papo or SS or both...the important thing is how accurate is their Apato to the film representation. To be honest, I can't even remember the Apatosaurus too well from the movie...I also don't think Nanmu should not make a similar Apato simply because Papo or SS has already released one. They need to complete their vision for the JP models based on the film. They can't boast of a complete line-up if they are missing the Apato but they probably should have started with the Brachio or Mamenchi instead.

I really don't think Nanmu Studio should appeal to scientific enthusiasts with this JP line. That's not even the point. Perhaps, some time down the road, they can create a brand new line of prehistorics with an emphasis on scientific accuracy.

We went over it a lot and some bigger JP/JW fans than myself have agreed they just stuck the JW Apato head/neck on the Sideshow/Papo body. 
film
promo art :

Scientifically speaking it's off too.  The JW version is based on Ajax and the Sideshow is based on Louisae. The belly hangs too low for Ajax and it's just too heavy bodied for that species.
https://www.deviantart.com/scotthartman/art/A-real-deceptive-reptile-370808455

GojiraGuy1954

Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Mirroraptor

I'm not very familiar with Apatosaurus. Are there significant differences between A.ajax and A.louisae in terms of skulls?
In my memory, the skull material of both should be incomplete. Considering how animals look when they alive, I don't think that using A.ajax in Jurassic World to shape A.louisae's head would make it inaccurate. The only problem is that such a design does disappoint those who wish to get accurate Jurassic World characters from Nanmu studio (but this does not include me). Regardless, the Apatosaurus will still be attractive to me.

Loon

New images! (First post updated)

Mosasaurus Bust

Mosasaurus (Full Body)

Tyrannosaurus I believe this is the first physical model they've shown.

Strange, this one doesn't seem to come with a human figure...

Apatosaurus (Paint Scheme)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Mirroraptor on December 28, 2019, 09:35:03 AM
I'm not very familiar with Apatosaurus. Are there significant differences between A.ajax and A.louisae in terms of skulls?
In my memory, the skull material of both should be incomplete. Considering how animals look when they alive, I don't think that using A.ajax in Jurassic World to shape A.louisae's head would make it inaccurate. The only problem is that such a design does disappoint those who wish to get accurate Jurassic World characters from Nanmu studio (but this does not include me). Regardless, the Apatosauruswill still be attractive to me.

I will be the first to admit that my only interest from Nanmu is JP/JW replicas.  The skulls are restored similarly, most reconstrctions apply enough flesh you really couldnt tell anyway.   the main differences are in the body, even the neck which you can see if this was Lousiae would simply be huge/thick not that Ajax had a thin one at all lol   

https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/sauropods-and-kin/apatosaurus-ajax
https://www.skeletaldrawing.com/sauropods-and-kin/apatosaurus-louisae

Nice shot of the Mosasaurus, though I still can't see much detail on the rest of the body. Hoping it's not a detailed head with smoother features over the rest.

The Rex looks good from that angle, previous pics the head looked too small.  I don't think Owen's Raptor handling will work on Rexy..lol

Loon

avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon one of the pics in the first has an unpainted shot of the whole body. The details look pretty good

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: Loon on December 28, 2019, 06:40:59 PM
avatar_Blade-of-the-Moon @Blade-of-the-Moon one of the pics in the first has an unpainted shot of the whole body. The details look pretty good

Yeah it looks a little smooth around the bottom of the neck to the shoulders and near the end of the tail there, it may just be the camera focus though.

Loon

Blade-of-the-Moon

Pose is a bit bland, but it's a good JW Anky. Should go well with the Indominus.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.