Author Topic: X-Plus/Star Ace  (Read 4575 times)

Over9K

• View Profile
Re: X-Plus/Star Ace
« Reply #40 on: November 26, 2020, 10:10:02 PM »
Article here with a video of the Allosaurus unboxing..hopefully it means this will soon be available for shipping.  https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/kaiju-curry-house-talks-ray-harryhausen-and-star-ace/

Looks like a lot more Harryhausen pieces were also premiered :  https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/star-ace-upcoming-ray-harryhausen-creature-vinyls/

The Rhedosaurus is a must have, same for Gwangi.  The Ceratosaurus looks HUGE with that base now.

Japan got their Allosaurus release 6 weeks ago. Not sure why North American release has taken so much longer.

Over9K

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 26, 2020, 10:13:28 PM »
Thanks for the link. Some, that I am familiar with, have some problems as to their film accuracy. However some are being produced for the first time as a finished pvc/vinyl figure (if they come to market). All the dinosaur figures fall into this category I believe. The X Plus figures of 20 years or so ago did not include them because they were all licensed from Columbia pictures not Warner or Hammer.

X-Plus did a smaller Gwangi once before, that was bundled with a DVD release of the film.

Blade-of-the-Moon

• Global Moderator
  • Old fossil member
    • View Profile
    • My Gallery on Deviant Art
  • Dinosaur: Allosaurus
  • v.1 status and posts: Ultimate Member , 5,209 posts , Joined Jul 2008
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2020, 12:24:16 AM »
Article here with a video of the Allosaurus unboxing..hopefully it means this will soon be available for shipping.  https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/kaiju-curry-house-talks-ray-harryhausen-and-star-ace/

Looks like a lot more Harryhausen pieces were also premiered :  https://www.kaijuaddicts.com/star-ace-upcoming-ray-harryhausen-creature-vinyls/

The Rhedosaurus is a must have, same for Gwangi.  The Ceratosaurus looks HUGE with that base now.

Japan got their Allosaurus release 6 weeks ago. Not sure why North American release has taken so much longer.

Looks like everywhere is still waiting from what I can tell. I thought Awesome Collector mentioned it last month but  i can't find the newsletter.

Over9K

• View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2020, 12:47:06 AM »

Looks like everywhere is still waiting from what I can tell. I thought Awesome Collector mentioned it last month but  i can't find the newsletter.

I thought the same thing... every time I get an email from him, I get excited, and then disappointed...

Blade-of-the-Moon

• Global Moderator
  • Old fossil member
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2020, 02:24:50 AM »

I thought the same thing... every time I get an email from him, I get excited, and then disappointed...

I know he was a bit cheaper, but I may go with BBTS for future pieces. It's just hard to keep up with all the different places I have preorders.

Over9K

• View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 27, 2020, 05:20:21 AM »
I know he was a bit cheaper, but I may go with BBTS for future pieces. It's just hard to keep up with all the different places I have preorders.

BBTS is notoriously horrid on the X-Plus stuff. That may not be the case on the Star Ace releases, because those are intended for the North American market, but on the imported X-Plus-branded stuff, particularly the Kaiju, the markup and the wait is heinous. Stuff that gets released in Japan won't have shipped from BBTS 4, 5 or 6 months later. YMMV.

Blade-of-the-Moon

• Global Moderator
  • Old fossil member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 27, 2020, 05:48:32 AM »

BBTS is notoriously horrid on the X-Plus stuff. That may not be the case on the Star Ace releases, because those are intended for the North American market, but on the imported X-Plus-branded stuff, particularly the Kaiju, the markup and the wait is heinous. Stuff that gets released in Japan won't have shipped from BBTS 4, 5 or 6 months later. YMMV.

They are slow for sure, but my other popular shop option is EE. Both are easier for me to keep track of orders.  I think the cost on these weren't a lot different maybe 15-20.00? From the various retailers, so your probably right.  Sideshow also has it up but  i do think they were more if I recall correctly.   

cooksonia

• View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 16, 2020, 11:56:08 PM »
The Allosaurus is released mid Feb according to my supplier

Blade-of-the-Moon

• Global Moderator
  • Old fossil member
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 17, 2020, 03:36:30 AM »
The Allosaurus is released mid Feb according to my supplier

Awesome collector said they are getting some in soo, but just the dino , not the set yet.

cooksonia

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 17, 2020, 10:01:13 AM »
I didn't order the set just the dino but I expect that's released as well

Over9K

• View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 18, 2020, 12:07:53 AM »
Awesome Collector got payment for the Allosaurus couple days ago. Hoping to see it shipped in the next week...

Over9K

• View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 25, 2020, 09:22:38 AM »
Box Day Allosaurus! I'm enjoying seeing X-Plus' skill at capturing detail being applied to these Harryhausen characters. The Allosaurus paint scheme is subtle, but filled with deep detail. It has a hand-made feel to the sculpt, that captures the essence of the original filming models. Do think they could have gotten away with a pose that put the tail on the ground, eliminating the need for the tail stand. Otherwise, a real treasure for Harryhausen, or old-school dinosaur freaks.

cooksonia

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 25, 2020, 09:58:49 AM »
Thanks Over4k for posting these pics. Yes that tail stand is a bit, shall we say, awkward looking. The expression is like in the film. I am happy with what I see considering I had zero expectations of ever seeing figures from this movie

RobinGoodfellow

• Paleocene survivor
    • View Profile
  • Dinosaur: Mosasaur
« Reply #53 on: December 25, 2020, 03:05:02 PM »

Blade-of-the-Moon

• Global Moderator
  • Old fossil member
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: December 25, 2020, 03:32:47 PM »
Nice video review.  Hopefully the set being out somewhere means AC will have theirs in stock soon.