News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Takara Tomy - New for 2020

Started by Halichoeres, December 28, 2019, 02:40:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Shonisaurus

I am not a collector of these figures but without a doubt the most beautiful and appealing figures are the fukuisaurus, fukuiraptor and the quetzalcoatlus are great from all points of view.

Faelrin

They are making an adult Ankylosaurus and Bumpy from Jurassic World's Camp Cretaceous this year.

Pic from Collect Jurassic's twitter:

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

Thanks, avatar_Faelrin @Faelrin! Busy year for Takara Tomy. I'll add that to the top post.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Flaffy

Joey

Woah. Those look pretty sweet  :D

Over9K

Dayum, the preorder for the Carnotaurus sold out quick on HobbySearch!

suspsy

What's the best online store to buy ANIA?
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Halichoeres

In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Flaffy

Tarbosaurus, Therizinosaurus + a very out of place (and unnecessary) Baby triceratops.

Tarbosaurus:
The head is too small, and very very shrinkwrapped. Kind of strange considering how well fed most of their theropod sculpts are. The tail articulation detracts from the figure as usual, doesn't help that they are rather loose.
The skin details are nice though, the entire sculpt is filled with wrinkles. Ironically, the rest of the body is well muscled, it's nice to see proper gastralia depicted. The arms are appropriately diminutive, and the skull is thinner than ANIA's Tyrannosaurus, which is good to see.

Therizinosaurus: Suspiciously similar to CollectA's standard therizinosaurus, both in sculpt and in colour. The arm articulates at the shoulders, allowing for a variety of diverse poses, though it is to be noted however that the joint feels rather flimsy and fragile. The feet are incorrect, as it only has 3 weight bearing toes as opposed to 4. Not a fan of the green mullet on it's head. Would've much preferred a thin layer of fuzz over the entire animal. The way it's done on the ANIA figure makes the poor thing look like it's suffering from mange.

Triceratops: I have no idea why this was included in this set. Out of all the small oviraptorosaurs, pachycephalosaurs, ornithomimosaurs and paravians of the Nemengt formation, they went with a North American dinosaur. Another mongolian dinosaur would've been much more fitting.

Halichoeres

More dreck on the horizon:

Shakurel figures (why do these exist?)

Pteranodon
Stegosaurus
Triceratops
Tyrannosaurus
Velociraptor

More capsule figures:

Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus, and two versions of Tyrannosaurus

CityRaptor

Those Capsule ones  look rather JP/JW inspired.

Those Shakurel figures are just another set of weirdos. Although I really want to see them in a movie where Bruce Campbell voices one of them.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

terrorchicken

they have the Jay Leno chin ones with extant animals too. Its either that or animals doing awkward human postures/poses. :/

postsaurischian

Quote from: Flaffy on June 30, 2020, 02:10:00 PM
Tarbosaurus, Therizinosaurus + a very out of place (and unnecessary) Baby triceratops.

They're all unnecessary if you ask me.

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 01, 2020, 06:42:56 PM

:o  I have no idea.

GojiraGuy1954

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 01, 2020, 06:42:56 PM

Pteranodon
Stegosaurus
Triceratops
Tyrannosaurus
Velociraptor

More capsule figures:

Allosaurus, Brachiosaurus, and two versions of Tyrannosaurus
these are so unholy
Shrek 4 is an underrated masterpiece

Halichoeres

New "ancient seas" capsule figures:

• coelacanth
• Anomalocaris
• trilobite (looks like it could be Olenoides, B @bmathison1972 do you have a better guess?)

A little bummed about the coelacanth. I like when the modern gombessa is included in modern sea life lines, but when it's included in paleontology-themed ones it feels like a waste. For one thing, the modern one has no known fossils, exactly zero! For another, ancient coelacanths had such variety in their shapes and ecologies. This could have been an Allenypterus, or a Rebellatrix, or a Miguashaia, or...

PS, if there are any Japanese speakers around, please let me know if the machine translation of the set name is incorrect.

bmathison1972

I also assume Olenoides. I plan on getting the two arthropods in the set, even though they are both very common at this point.

Flaffy

I still don't get the obsession with Olenoides. Like there are so many other interesting trilobites out there, yet companies only seem to make this specific genus for some odd reason. This is the 5th figure of the genus to my knowledge, quite a shame really.

Same goes for Anomalocaris. Plenty of other lobopods to choose from.

The coelacanth is just a waste.

But hey, maybe this is an indication of more interesting things to come in the future? Previous Takara Tomy capsule figures were the even more boring juvenile dinosaurs, so this is certainly a welcome change.

suchomimus

Quote from: Halichoeres on August 21, 2020, 04:21:32 PM
[...]
• trilobite (looks like it could be Olenoides, [...])

With much disappointment, 三葉虫 (San'yōchū) translates to "Trilobite".

I'm not a big fan of articulations myself, but combining this feature with non-dinosaurs gives me the yowie feels ::)

Faelrin

Well I am definitely interested in this set even if there are plenty of toys on these genera by now. Regarding the Coelacanth, definitely missed opportunity to have another Cambrian or other Paleozoic critter, if not a relative like Mawsonia, but it is popular so I get why (even if it isn't a prehistoric creature either).

avatar_Flaffy @Flaffy I agree another trilobite other then Olenoides would have been preferred, and I certainly have a wishlist of genera I want to see made some day. Granted I still like it however. Another relative to Anomalocaris would also be interesting to see but at this rate it seems to be the T. rex of the Cambrian period fauna (in both popularity and apex predator status).

Granted I'm also happy to see this one, what with it being one of my favorite prehistoric animals to begin with and I can't get enough of it. Definitely nice thing to wake up to and see for me.

Also anyone have an idea on the cost of these? Are they part of the Ania line or separate? It kind of looks like the Anomalocaris has articulation but maybe just how it is assembled? If it is articulation this would be the first attempt to give some to the lobes.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

PrimevalRaptor

The Anomalocaris seems to miss that "head shield" that apparently was a thing for those guys (or it's just not very pronounced, guess we may wait for more pictures) but it seems pretty fun, I like the idea of the articulation!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.