News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

dinoland ankylosaurus

Started by copper, March 16, 2012, 02:37:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

copper

so i purchased the dinoland ankylosaurus a while ago. i'm about to paint it in the future (hopefully soon) and i'm wondering about its accuracy and should i modify it.
the scutes/plates along it's back are the main question mark for me, is there a confirmed design how the knobs were placed? i see a lot of different interpretations out there, some having large plates and some (like this dinoland figure) having only knobs.
and i think i should put some mass on the part of the tail where it joins the body..
the gregory paul's restoration in the field guide is quite a different looking creature than this kaiyodo one.
how about the overall look? i would really appreciate any knowledge and suggestions.

here are few photos of the ankylosaurus:
(the jaw isn't glued in place yet)

Himmapaan

Gosh, that is beautiful, as of course all the Kaiyodo Dinoland models are, accurate or no. 

I think David Krentz's Shapeways Ankylosaurus is probably the most accurate model at the moment. The Carnegie figure is also accurate in terms of armour, although its hips aren't quite wide enough.

Personally speaking (and this is merely what I would do, not a suggestion for you :D), I think I would be persuaded not to customise it at all, but to paint it as it is. I would acknowledge it as not being perfectly accurate, but keep the integrity and beauty of the original sculpture.  :)

copper

your words are true, i might keep it as it is.
i have other 'vintage' models so one more wouldn't hurt : ) and if i'd customize to be more like the krentz one, it would be a whole lot of work and i don't know if i could do that!
i still wish the krentz's shapeways ankylo was bigger...or then i could add some mass onto the carnegie's hips, that wouldn't acquire so much work.

wow, did this thread just become useless now that i said i might just paint it? :')

Himmapaan

I seem to recall David mentioning that he will get round to making all his Shapeways models available as larger resin kits eventually, so let us hope!

The thread isn't useless at all; we get to admire this model in its 'raw' state and to anticipate your wonderful paintwork on it.  ;D

Roktman

Quote from: Himmapaan on March 16, 2012, 04:41:04 PM
I seem to recall David mentioning that he will get round to making all his Shapeways models available as larger resin kits eventually, so let us hope!

The thread isn't useless at all; we get to admire this model in its 'raw' state and to anticipate your wonderful paintwork on it.  ;D

That would be great news. While I have a few of David's 1:72 collection, they and the 1:44's are just too small for my aging eyes. I can't really go any smaller than 1:40 any more.   :P

And BTW I agree, I would paint it up as is. It's a good model.  Take pics!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.