News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crackington

Oops! Use the wrong quote - sorry guys! 

Meant to put this under Lio99's photo.

:-[

Blackdanter

Quote from: ProconCollectAr2012 on April 15, 2012, 04:14:42 AM
Ok guys and gals... This was on eBay... Years ago... I was outbid on it and I was heartbroken... I have never seen another one since and would really like to get one.. If I remember correctly it was listed as Archeopteryx Desktop Model.... 

Any info on it would be greatly appreciated:)

That looks like an Epoch Dino Bones (rough translation ;)) figure to me. I have most of the second set but none of the first and I can't remember what was in there. They're actually really good skeletal figures (the stego even has the throat armour!) for larger sized gashepon figures. A lot of the Japanese companies do one off's in addition to the standard ranges for the annual Dino Expo's so it may be a limited addition to the standard range. Best bet is to check the Japanese dinosaur collector sites to see if anyone has one there (they're usually spot on in identifying their own figures.  ;) Failing that it could be a Gakken Mook magazine figure (again, probably by Epoch). The problem is that a lot of the Japanese companies we think of as different makers aren't exactly so as they issue different ranges under different company names or license distribution to each other. Bandai distribute a lot of stuff for other companies such as Happinet and Sega and hence are often mistakenly identified as the owning company of a range when actually they're not.  ;)

Blackdanter

Quote from: ProconCollectAr2012 on April 15, 2012, 04:14:42 AM
Ok guys and gals... This was on eBay... Years ago... I was outbid on it and I was heartbroken... I have never seen another one since and would really like to get one.. If I remember correctly it was listed as Archeopteryx Desktop Model.... 

Any info on it would be greatly appreciated:)

Yep, it's Epoch Series 3.

Here's a link to a set on Ebay at an outrageous price!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/EPOCH-Dinosaur-Framework-Gashapon-Figure-Part-3-/370337493189?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item5639d5b0c5

CityRaptor

Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Blade-of-the-Moon

Bought these two Velociraptor skulls off of eBay : http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330715002025

I believe they are 1/1, one is a heavy lead metal and the other is a type of thin plastic.  Anyone seen these before or know anything about em' ?

CityRaptor

Ah, thanks.  I might actually bid on these tomorrow.
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

stemturtle

Here is a speculation that is reminiscent of the mistake of Othniel C. Marsh mounting the skull of Camarasaurus on the skeleton of Apatosaurus at Yale's Peabody Museum. 

Placochelys (not Brachisaurus),                    Placodus (Play Visions),                     Placochelys = Placodus (Starlux)

The art of Zdenek Burian appears to have been influential for Starlux. While browsing through "Life Before Man" by Zdenek Spinar, I noticed that Burian illustrated the entire body of Placodus, but only the head of Placochelys. That could explain why Starlux put the head of Placochelys on the body of Placodus.  Who could have guessed that Placochelys looked like a turtle? The error is surprising, given the accuracy of the rest of the line of figures.  Now we have Google.

Mural at New Mexico Museum of Natural History and Science (Click image)

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stemturtle on April 21, 2012, 12:07:36 AM
Here is a speculation that is reminiscent of the mistake of Othniel C. Marsh mounting the skull of Camarasaurus on the skeleton of Apatosaurus at Yale's Peabody Museum. 

Placochelys (not Brachisaurus),                    Placodus (Play Visions),                     Placochelys = Placodus (Starlux)

The art of Zdenek Burian appears to have been influential for Starlux. While browsing through "Life Before Man" by Zdenek Spinar, I noticed that Burian illustrated the entire body of Placodus, but only the head of Placochelys. That could explain why Starlux put the head of Placochelys on the body of Placodus.  Who could have guessed that Placochelys looked like a turtle? The error is surprising, given the accuracy of the rest of the line of figures.  Now we have Google.

Hey that's a cool sig, I just saw that mural last night on Son of Dinosaurs . ;D

stemturtle

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 21, 2012, 02:57:26 AM

Hey that's a cool sig, I just saw that mural last night on Son of Dinosaurs . ;D

Blade-of-the-Moon, thanks for the compliment about my signature. The mural was done by Margaret Colbert.  There is a smaller painting displayed at the Ruth Hall Museum of Paleontology in Abiquiú, NM.  Her husband, Edwin Colbert, dug the Coelophysis quarry at Ghost Ranch.

It is fun to follow the progress of your Brachiosaurus.  Thanks for posting the photos.

Blade-of-the-Moon

Quote from: stemturtle on April 21, 2012, 01:36:09 PM
Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 21, 2012, 02:57:26 AM

Blade-of-the-Moon, thanks for the compliment about my signature. The mural was done by Margaret Colbert.  There is a smaller painting displayed at the Ruth Hall Museum of Paleontology in Abiquiú, NM.  Her husband, Edwin Colbert, dug the Coelophysis quarry at Ghost Ranch.

It is fun to follow the progress of your Brachiosaurus.  Thanks for posting the photos.

I think I know who that is..he was interviewed a little for the Dinosaur Shows with Eric and Gary and had some cassettes put out called Dinosaur Talks right ? His wife has some awesome talent..I can't really paint well at all..heh

Your VERY welcome. :)

stemturtle

Quote from: Blade-of-the-Moon on April 21, 2012, 05:16:58 PM

I think I know who that is..he was interviewed a little for the Dinosaur Shows with Eric and Gary and had some cassettes put out called Dinosaur Talks right ? His wife has some awesome talent..I can't really paint well at all..heh

I am not familiar with the Dinosaur Talks.  Edwin Colbert served as curator of Vertebrate Paleontology at the American Museum of Natural History.  He wrote many paleo books, and Margaret illustrated them. He died in 2001 at age 96, and she died in 2007 at age 95.  Digging fossils must be healthy work. 

sauroid

can anyone ID this stego figure? it has the Jurassic Park symbol on the other side of its body. hard plastic about 4" long. TIA
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Patrx

Hey, I have that Stego! Unfortunately, I don't know much about it either. I think it may have been a bit of Lost World merch. I'll have a look at mine later, but isn't it a keychain?

sauroid

no i dont think it is a keychain. too hefty. it would be nice to find out anything about it.  :)
"you know you have a lot of prehistoric figures if you have at least twenty items per page of the prehistoric/dinosaur section on ebay." - anon.

Metallisuchus

Does anybody know anything about that Spinosaurus in the banner? I've never seen it before.

SBell

Quote from: Metallisuchus on April 24, 2012, 03:39:19 AM
Does anybody know anything about that Spinosaurus in the banner? I've never seen it before.

It's the 2012 Bullyland Spinosaurus. It hasn't been released yet, that I am aware of.

morrijos

Quote from: sauroid on April 23, 2012, 07:29:38 AM
can anyone ID this stego figure? it has the Jurassic Park symbol on the other side of its body. hard plastic about 4" long. TIA

I have a Stego identical to that one; it is actually a glow in the dark piece.  If I recall correctly, it is indeed a Lost World (JP II) piece and it was sold by itself. 

Patrx

I've had a look at mine, and it is indeed a rather overlarge keychain, or, at least, it has a keyring attached to it. The stamp on the bottom says "Equity Toys", whoever they are/were.

sauroid

Quote from: Pixelboy on April 24, 2012, 09:37:10 AM
I've had a look at mine, and it is indeed a rather overlarge keychain, or, at least, it has a keyring attached to it. The stamp on the bottom says "Equity Toys", whoever they are/were.
my figure doesnt have a keyring attached to it. (nor does it glow in the dark). yes, the stamp on the belly says "Equity Toys tm & c 1997 U.C.S. & Amblin made in china"

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.