News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pachyrhinosaurus

The oviraptor in egg was part of Safari's Dino Discoveries line which was more or less an assortment of dinosaurs that weren't part of the Wild Safari dinosaurs. It included Dinosaurs of China figures, the standalone velociraptor, and a couple others. I don't know much about the sculpt itself other than it was based on a resin model. My local museum used to have the resin version in their dinosaur exhibit.

Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Libraraptor

Is that one still commonly available or is it rather rare?

Loon

Thanks avatar_Pachyrhinosaurus @Pachyrhinosaurus , that's pretty interesting.

avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor No idea about the rarity, I've only ever see 2 for sale, and I bought both. I thought the second one I saw had better paint, but I was wrong. If anyone wants the second one, I'll probably list it here soon.

brontosauruschuck

I found another bunch of dinosaur toys in my storage unit. I probably got these at thrift stores, and I'm not too hopeful that I'll be able to identify them, but I thought I'd put them here because anything you can tell me about them would be interesting.

RobinGoodfellow

Quote from: Libraraptor on August 06, 2020, 08:54:21 AM
Is that one still commonly available or is it rather rare?

It's not so easy to find but not that impossible.
Just to be patient over Ebay.. ;)

Dean Nonychus

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on August 07, 2020, 03:40:00 AM
I found another bunch of dinosaur toys in my storage unit. I probably got these at thrift stores, and I'm not too hopeful that I'll be able to identify them, but I thought I'd put them here because anything you can tell me about them would be interesting.

I think the Ankylosaur is from a range like a Walking with Dinosaurs. I'm pretty sure I've one in the attic, I'll check over the weekend and get back to you.
Open the door, get on the floor
Everybody walk the dinosaur

Libraraptor

I have that Ankylosaur too and except from the eyes it is even quite decent.  No clue what brand it is.

Halichoeres

B @brontosauruschuck  I don't know who makes that ankylosaur, but it's been sold by all kinds of companies, including in a big "Animal Planet" branded bin at Toys R Us. There's one in my house, and it's had its back cut open to plant a succulent (since re-potted).

The Chasmosaurus is either a JPIII mini by Hasbro or a knockoff thereof.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

brontosauruschuck

Thanks for the heads up Haliochoeres! I like when you look for dinosaur flower pots online and 9/10 of them are old dinosaur toys that someone cut a hole into. I know somebody makes actual ceramic pots shaped like dinosaurs. Some of my customers have been able to find them, and have submitted pictures to our website, but I've never seen them for sale.

Oh, except some at Rite Aid that had fake plastic succulents glued into them.

BlueKrono

The last picture, the yellow Brontosaurus, can be found in almost every package of cheap dinosaurs out there today. It's a knockoff of the original Marx Brontosaurus from the 50's.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Ikessauro

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on August 07, 2020, 03:40:00 AM

The anky seems to have the style of the Toy Major dinosaurs. They usually stamp their dinos with a small oval shape and TM written inside it.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Ikessauro on August 20, 2020, 01:47:34 PM

The anky seems to have the style of the Toy Major dinosaurs. They usually stamp their dinos with a small oval shape and TM written inside it.

You're right! I had ignored the TM, maybe because I'm used to seeing TM on things like advertisements and media. My copy is also stamped "Euoplocephalus."
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Libraraptor on July 16, 2020, 08:41:37 PM
Quote from: Invicta Hunter on July 16, 2020, 06:57:30 PM
Does anyone know what set this protoceratops came from? It's about 4 inches long and is made from some bronze like metal. It reminds me of the Alva dinosaurs but i don't think it is but maybe it's another museum figure from around that time.
Metal Proto by J H, on Flickr]

Reminded me of SRG, but they didn´t make a Protoceratops...

As to the T.rex, I only say: "Furaffic Fark"  ^-^ ^-^

I didn't see anyone ID this yet, but could it be a William Otto figure? I know he did a set of dinosaurs for the AMNH in addition to the original Pleistocene animals for the Page Museum. I don't know if there was a Protoceratops in the AMNH set but it seems like something they'd request.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Halichoeres

Quote from: Dinoguy2 on August 28, 2020, 11:30:52 AM
Quote from: Libraraptor on July 16, 2020, 08:41:37 PM
Quote from: Invicta Hunter on July 16, 2020, 06:57:30 PM
Does anyone know what set this protoceratops came from? It's about 4 inches long and is made from some bronze like metal. It reminds me of the Alva dinosaurs but i don't think it is but maybe it's another museum figure from around that time.

Reminded me of SRG, but they didn´t make a Protoceratops...

As to the T.rex, I only say: "Furaffic Fark"  ^-^ ^-^

I didn't see anyone ID this yet, but could it be a William Otto figure? I know he did a set of dinosaurs for the AMNH in addition to the original Pleistocene animals for the Page Museum. I don't know if there was a Protoceratops in the AMNH set but it seems like something they'd request.

For what it's worth, Dinosauriana doesn't list a Protoceratops among Otto's sculpts, although of course that doesn't prove that there wasn't one.

Does anybody know this Pachy and Stego? They have no discernible markings but seem a little bit nicer than your average no-name dinosaur.

Eocarcharia

I got this Triceratops on eBay in a lot with other brands. It doesn't have any markings anywhere that I could find. Anyone know anything about it?

Loon

Halichoeres

Quote from: Eocarcharia on September 04, 2020, 01:36:48 PM
Quote from: Loon on September 04, 2020, 03:50:07 AM
avatar_Eocarcharia @Eocarcharia looks like a Kabaya Triceratops, maybe a paint variant?
http://dinotoyblog.com/2010/03/27/triceratops-kabaya/

Thanks! I guess I should've checked the blog first.

That's a lot of Triceratops to wade through :)

UK

Over to the collective knowledge of the forum. Can anyone provide some information on the postosuchus and the colourful baryonyx?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.