News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

The Identification thread

Started by Takama, March 17, 2012, 04:57:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: PlesiosaurusNessy on October 21, 2020, 06:56:08 PM
avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno : The head from nose to beginning of sail is 8 cm long, beginning of sail til tip of tail 38 cm, together in total 46 cm long!
The height from floor til highest point of sail 23 cm ! Unfortunately I cannot say anything to his exact weight, but possibly avatar_EmmaLVV @EmmaLVV ?
Thanks
Anyways, its nice to see you again P @PlesiosaurusNessy

Crackington

I recently obtained a haul of vintage figures from E-bay and put a photo of them on the Recent Acquisitions thread. Several members kindly helped to identify many of them (thanks 👍) but there were a few that remained unknown. I promised to take some more snaps of them and put them here. They may just be unknown cheaposaurs and not possible to ID, but you never know someone might spot something.

First up are some of the sauropods and stegosaurs:

This picture shows them upside down, to show their hollow tummies. This includes the rather Inpro like Brachiosaurus, second from left:

The two Diplodocus and larger Stegosaurus (without thagomizer) seem to be the same brand.

Next the other figures, including "Mr Burns":

P @PlesiosaurusNessy  thought the bright green Brontosaurus might be a Sinclair. It certainly looks like one though is a hollow cheap kind of plastic, so suspect it's a knock off.

More snaps soon, quick break!

Crackington

Part 2 of the Unknown Cheaposaur Haul...

The Scorpion King, Mr Burns (thanks to avatar_BlueKrono @BlueKrono ) sparked a few comments and is a very nicely done figure. It's set into a base and reminds me of the forthcoming figures from the Evolution Kickstarter game:

The Scorpion has its name and number 43 underneath (don't mention the meaning of life):

The bright yellow beastie pictured besides it is very odd. It could be a turtle, placodont or an attempt at an Ankylosaurus and is made from an almost transparent plastic reminiscent of the old Micronauts toys. It doesn't photograph well at all, so special award for anyone identifying that one 🤔

Any ideas or suggestions on the figures greatly appreciated.

Halichoeres

Nice to get a clearer view of that scorpion. It's a pretty nice figure, although I don't recognize it.

I think the green Brontosaurus might be Tootsie Toy. avatar_DC @DC to the rescue once again: http://www.dinosaurcollectorsitea.com/TootsieToy.htm
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Crackington

Thanks avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres the bronto is very similar and hollow, but the figure in the DC picture is a bit more detailed than my figure and it also has a longer tail. Mine ends in a short stump!

I guess we could put it down as a Tootsie knock-off?

Halichoeres

Right you are. And it doesn't look like Ajax, which is the only other line in this style that I'm familiar with. Could be a knock-off as you say.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

PlesiosaurusNessy

avatar_Crackington @Crackington : Yes, perhaps you are right, that the bright green Brontosaurus is a Sinclair Oil knock-off figure, I like him very much!

The two grey-green Stegosaurs are Marx knock-off´s, I own those, too, in diffferent colours!

Very interesting, that the little brown Diplodocus´ are hollow inside and the Inpro knock-off Brachiosaur, too.
The two Diplodocus I own as full plastic figures in different sizes, my little ones are light blue!

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres : Your link for the Tootsie-Toys Brontosaurus is great, avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor owns this wonderful old figure in purple/lilac,
to admire in "Libraraptor´s collection", page 25, posting #490 of 27 March 2018, a little bit scrolling in the posting!

I really like these old monochrome figures very much, as avatar_Libraraptor @Libraraptor is doing that,too!

The scorpion looks cool....unfortunately I have no idea for the transparent yellow Ankylosaurus?
And, I think, the crocodile like animal is a very old style cheapasaur crocodile from the 70ties and not a dinosaur...possibly?

Further happy dino collecting!
Paleontology: Science for the love to dinosaurs!

stargatedalek

Is the scorpion from one of the Yowies reboots? The style looks similar.

Halichoeres

? @Stolpergeist thank you. This makes me want them to revisit prehistory all the more.

Crackington

Thanks very much avatar_stargatedalek @stargatedalek and ? @Stolpergeist for the ID on the Scorpion. Wowee, my first Yowie (ouch!) - always wondered what they were like in the hand. They are not very common here in the UK.

Thanks again P @PlesiosaurusNessy for your help and kind words. Perhaps we'll never know about these other figures, but at least more than half the haul has been ID'd and I can put the others here  down as miscellaneous cheaposaurs!

Finally, I'm calling the croc an alligator as it has a broad snout and I was told off for confusing the two on another thread recently! Yes, definitely not a dinosaur - it reminds me a bit of the cheery snapper in Punch and Judy shows.

Libraraptor

I remember we had this very figure a few weeks ago, didn´t we?

Loon

I've always been so tempted by that figure, just the lack of pycnofibres makes it look so off.

postsaurischian

It's a nice figure. Three years ago it was being sold as Tapejara.
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=152.msg171544;topicseen#msg171544
We'll never know what it really was supposed to be because neither the figure nor the package is labelled with its name.

..... or am I just not able to read the name?

Halichoeres

Here's mine with some other pterosaurs in case that helps with scale:

I got mine from AliExpress, where it was listed as Tapejara (though I think it's a better fit for Tupandactylus, which of course used to be in the same genus). They also had an interesting Psittacosaurus with a similar airbrushed paint scheme, but that one never seemed to be as popular.

Crackington

Is that the Cog Pterodaustro being gleefully munched on by the pair? 🤭

RobinGoodfellow

The Dinostar figures from 2017:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/130140542@N03/albums/72157677103510987/with/37639848131/

(there was also a Smilodon but I don't have in my collection)

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Stolpergeist on November 11, 2020, 07:13:58 AM
I sometimes see the Smilodon sold by FloZ and am tempted to get it, though I don't know if it may turn out to be a bootleg that reuses the mold or not and on top of that it is usually out of stock by the time I come across it.

I honestly do not recommend that smilodon, I have it and I have to tell you that this figure is within the canons of beauty a quite imperfect figure. It is perhaps one of the smilodon one of the weakest figures that I have among my figures of prehistoric animals in terms of quality.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Crackington on November 10, 2020, 06:23:07 PM
Is that the Cog Pterodaustro being gleefully munched on by the pair? 🤭

Yep, that's the one!

Kapitaenosavrvs

Thanks Everyone! I wasn't able to find something in the Search. I Guess i searched for the wrong words.

Looks fine, i would say. Im with Loon, that looks a bit off, but i guess thats managable, if someone wants.
It is on my List now. Thanks again to everyone!

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.