News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Old Reconstructions You Would Like Figures Of?

Started by Loon, January 04, 2020, 03:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

As the title asks: Which older or incorrect reconstructions of prehistoric animals would you like to see figures of?

I have a few, all based on the specific works of an artist:
Benjamin Waterhouse Hawkins' Prehistoric Animals (Give the Iguanodon an opening to show a little dinner party inside)
Charles Knight's Dinosuars (Tyrannosaurus & Stegosaurus)
Robert Bakker's Deinonychus
James Gurney's Giganotosaurus
This thing:

Gwangi

Loon

Oh God yes, both of those would make amazing toys.

Crackington

Love the Waterhouse Hawkins' toy Iguanodon idea! Perhaps it could be extended into a carry case for more mini versions of his Crystal Palace dinosaurs to fit inside...

Continuing that theme, would also love a nice cheap tube of well made Ray Harryhausen mini-dinos!

Faelrin

This creature that was hypothesized about long before (like 1915) the discovery of Microraptor:

I suppose we've kind of gotten this here and there in some cases, such as Favorite's Yutyrannus figures, but I really liked  the Leaping Laelaps (as well as the not quite Triceratops thing there that's name escapes me at the moment):

Or maybe Bakker's reconstruction of Deinonychus (though some of Rebor's raptor figures come very close, although being more JP based):

I realize this isn't exactly as old as the others here (probably early 2000's or late 1990's at best), and I suppose the Favorite vinyl and CollectA models come close, but I really do love this reconstruction of Dunkleosteus (which the artist here gave it a shark like tail, is covered in skin, and seems to have lips, despite the trend of it having an eel like tail based on its relative Coccosteus having been so commonplace, etc, though I do not know when that trend started exactly) from my current state of residence's (Pennsylvania) Fish and Boat field guide thing (https://www.fishandboat.com/Fish/PennsylvaniaFishes/GalleryPennsylvaniaFishes/Pages/FishBiology.aspx ):

Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Gwangi

Faelrin, if you're looking for a Bakker inspired Deinonychus than you should track down the one by Bullyland.

I know there are a lot like it but I still want a decent, and affordable, World's Fair T. rex.

Faelrin

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi I totally forgot about that one actually. Thanks for reminding me about it.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Loon

Given how influential they were to my childhood, I'd like to see some toys of these Disney dinosaurs.

Fantasia

Disneyland's Primeval World

Blade-of-the-Moon

I'm actually surprised Disney didn't do more with those guys as far as merchandising.

Stegotyranno420

All of these, although not sure if they are inaccurate

And pretty much any of Julius Csotonyi, Burian, Poharex, The isle/Saurian, Walking with Trilogy, Carnivores, Todd Marshall(paleoartist) artwork,

and this:

Takama

I always liked the oldschool look of Scolosaurus, with its Squat legs, and pudgey neck

Pachyrhinosaurus

I'd also like to see something like the Universe of Energy dinosaurs. I was thinking of sometime making some of my own. I still regret not seeing it when I had the chance, having mistakenly thought it closed prior to when I went. Or a set of Sinclair World's fair dinosaurs more true to the statues. The diorama dinosaurs that were made for the Smithsonian would be interesting as well.

Classic dinosaurs in general would be nice to see done with modern toys and quality. Marx and Invicta are great, but if Safari made dinosaurs that were accurate to the 1930's-50's, it would have wide appeal.
Artwork Collection Searchlist
Save Dinoland USA!

Loon

I for one would love a figure similar to the old Carnotaurus model that used to be at the LANHM. If there's a "classic" look for an animal as recently discovered as Carnotaurus, it's this:

I understand the Battat is a decent approximation.

Kotori_Sonoda

I saw this in a book as a kid and I thought it was weird and cool at the same time:

This is not your planet to rule. The Fallen shall rise again.

Jurassic Park toys collector

Libraraptor

This is a very interesting question. As far as I know, there are already a few model reconstructions of vintage views at dinosaurs. As for toy figures, I am not so sure. I wonder if any company had the courage to make a commercial figure in this style.
How about the very first paintings of Iguanodon, as a literally giant lizard? With the thumb at the tip of its nose?

Shonisaurus

I would like dinosaurs and other prehistoric animals based on the work of paleoartist Zdeněk Michael František Burian, I have a great admiration for that paleoartist among other things because it was my contemporary and his paleoartist works with very cool. Without going any further, the Collecta edaphosaurus is sincerely as members of the forum based on the paintings of that great illustrator have said and is now the most valued figure (for the moment) of dinosaurs and in this case of prehistoric animals of 2019 in the vote counting

Gwangi

Loon

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 05, 2020, 12:05:17 PM
This is a very interesting question. As far as I know, there are already a few model reconstructions of vintage views at dinosaurs. As for toy figures, I am not so sure. I wonder if any company had the courage to make a commercial figure in this style.
How about the very first paintings of Iguanodon, as a literally giant lizard? With the thumb at the tip of its nose?

That's what I'm hoping for. There are some miniatures of that design, as well as a Favorite desktop model. But, I feel like the only "major" company that could release one now would be Rebor.

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Libraraptor on January 05, 2020, 12:05:17 PM

Yeah, it's a shame. I know most people want dinosaur figures to be as up to date and accurate as possible. Already seeing people modifying old hadrosaurs to have hooves! But I prefer them as a record of hypotheses, which is all any paleoart is. There's no such thing as accurate paleoart, just reconstructions based on more or less supported hypotheses. Old hypotheses are just as interesting as new ones.

To answer the question, give me a Crystal Palace pterodactyl! I'd also love a Bakker style Syntarsus, and maybe a Brontosaurus based on the original weirdo Yale skull model.

That original Marsh Stegosaurus that looks like a prosauropod porcupine would be epic. And Knight's Agathaumus.

Oh! And a Zallinger "Proavis".

But my number one insta-buy would be anything based on Tippet's Prehistoric Beast, especially the Monoclonius. I had hoped BoM would do a version of it.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Dinoguy2

Quote from: Loon on January 05, 2020, 04:11:33 AM
I for one would love a figure similar to the old Carnotaurus model that used to be at the LANHM. If there's a "classic" look for an animal as recently discovered as Carnotaurus, it's this:

I understand the Battat is a decent approximation.

The Terra Carnotaurus is actually pretty close to this in pose, skin pattern, and color... But it doesn't quite nail those epic neck wrinkles.
The Carnegie Collection Dinosaur Archive - http://www.dinosaurmountain.net

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.