News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Old Reconstructions You Would Like Figures Of?

Started by Loon, January 04, 2020, 03:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loon

I wouldn't mind a modern set of figures based on the old Walking With Designs. Those are still my favorite dinosaur designs in any form of mass media, other than the t rex.

terrorchicken

Quote from: Loon on January 05, 2020, 04:11:33 AM
I for one would love a figure similar to the old Carnotaurus model that used to be at the LANHM. If there's a "classic" look for an animal as recently discovered as Carnotaurus, it's this:

I understand the Battat is a decent approximation.

this was the first picture I ever saw of carnotaurus(actually it was in a really cool 90's documentary that actually showed the artist building the sculpture. Carnotaurus became my fave dino ever since.

as for OP's  topic, I want figures of this b/c its the greatest paleort Ive ever seen :

Silvanusaurus

I want a two-pack of the old 'Crystal Palace' style Megalosaurus with an updated modern version, like this:

Or I'd even prefer this more mammalian version:

A baryonyx based on this animatronic (which I think was from the NHM, London):

Also this sly fox:

Exact replicas of these models:

Loon

Gwangi

That Scelidosaurus is very similar to the one by Invicta.

Crackington

Yes, based on the Neave Parker painting too. Speaking of which, I'd love a figure in the style of his Megalosaurus, the Invicta figure is quite different....

UK

Here's assembled and painted my Antediluvian miniatures rendition.

Currently the kit is sold out.

https://antediluvianminiatures.wordpress.com/2016/09/26/shop-lost-world-range/

Kapitaenosavrvs

Stegotyranno420

CityRaptor

Some good choices here, but how about the Gliding Stegosaurus?

Also this:
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

Loon

Quote from: CityRaptor on April 28, 2020, 06:24:32 PM
Some good choices here, but how about the Gliding Stegosaurus?
[/img]

I'd only get it if the plates could flap.

Halichoeres

I'm starting to enjoy older Spinosaurus reconstructions, only because the more I think about it the more dubious I find the new one.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

triceratops83

A whole series of Charles R. Knight figures would be awesome. I grew up with those paintings (nearly always in black and white) in various old encyclopedias, and it bothers me that they will simply be lost in time, unappreciated by new paleo enthusiasts.
In the end it was not guns or bombs that defeated the aliens, but that humblest of all God's creatures... the Tyrannosaurus rex.

Loon

Quote from: triceratops83 on April 28, 2020, 11:01:42 PM
A whole series of Charles R. Knight figures would be awesome. I grew up with those paintings (nearly always in black and white) in various old encyclopedias, and it bothers me that they will simply be lost in time, unappreciated by new paleo enthusiasts.

I really can't see them being lost to time. Charles Knight's work is probably the most influential of any paleoartist ever. Even kids today are familiar with his designs, albeit indirectly.

CityRaptor

Yep. One still sees a lot of Knight, Zallinger and Burian influences. Just with more Jurassic Park mixed in.
Oh no

brontosauruschuck

I had a dream several months ago that a collection of toys was released that included a figurine of a prominent paleontologist, their most notable find/reconstruction, and a current, to the best of our knowledge reconstruction. That would be a cool idea for a toy but I doubt it would be financially viable.

CityRaptor

Also sounds good. I could imagine some sort of "Evolution Set", that includes a Retrosaur ( or more, depending on the species ) and a modern reconstruction.
Oh no

Shonisaurus

A brand of toy dinosaurs could make a "retro" dinosaur and another of the same species according to the latest paleontological discoveries. It would be a great success. For example Safari could make a tube with the evolution of the figure of the iguanodon and the megalosaurus through the years. From the first "retro" Cristal Palace figures to the current reconstructions and put in a miniature tube.

You could also make that commercial foray into Collecta mostly tyrannosaurus rex or sauropods in miniature figures. It would be great.

Faelrin

avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor Oh man I definitely want a figure of that Compsognathus with flippers. It is so absurd. What's the deal with that?

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I like your idea. That would make a good tube for Safari Ltd, if not a Safariology set.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Justin_

I'd like an Aurora-style diorama of this Zallinger scene:

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.