News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Old Reconstructions You Would Like Figures Of?

Started by Loon, January 04, 2020, 03:02:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CityRaptor

Quote from: Faelrin on April 29, 2020, 04:42:08 PM
avatar_CityRaptor @CityRaptor Oh man I definitely want a figure of that Compsognathus with flippers. It is so absurd. What's the deal with that?

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus I like your idea. That would make a good tube for Safari Ltd, if not a Safariology set.

https://paleoglot.org/files/Bidar&%201972.pdf

Short: Bidar et al. proposed that a specimen found in france had webbed forelimbs. While it was debunked by Ostrom, it id make it into a number of 70s books.
https://svpow.com/2012/10/02/2000ads-bizarre-fin-handed-compsognathus/
Jurassic Park is frightning in the dark
All the dinosaurs are running wild
Someone let T. Rex out of his pen
I'm afraid those things'll harm me
'Cause they sure don't act like Barney
And they think that I'm their dinner, not their friend
Oh no

brontosauruschuck

Quote from: terrorchicken on January 15, 2020, 07:18:12 PM

Does this remind anyone else of the 'Wolfman's got nads!' scene from Monster Squad?

Shonisaurus

I would like a "retro" dinosaur like the trachodon based on the paleoartistic work of Charles R. Knight.

Sarapaurolophus

Quote from: Justin_ on April 30, 2020, 11:53:54 AM
I'd like an Aurora-style diorama of this Zallinger scene:

That looks almost seductive, like Dracula biting a victim. And that Allo has a skeevy look in his eye, too.

I want this creepy duo here:

Loon

avatar_Sarapaurolophus @Sarapaurolophus yes, yes, and yes. The Dinosauroid and his ancestor would make for a lovely set of figures.

I actually did spot a toy of the humanoid once on eBay, but it seems to be rare.

BlueKrono

I would love to see a model of the very first prehistoric aquatics - the 19th century ichthyosaurs and plesiosaurs of the Crystal Palace.
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on April 28, 2020, 10:25:44 PM
I'm starting to enjoy older Spinosaurus reconstructions, only because the more I think about it the more dubious I find the new one.
Yeah especially when compared to relatives, but in the end spinosaurus is a weak, skinny, aquatic, flipper tailed, spined fisher that everyone says has trouble eating. ::)

But seriously, what if the ansector of spinosaurus, baryonchines and relatives looked like the earlier spinosaurus depictions, and was just a transitional stage between megalosaur to spinosaur.

Just another case of speculative evolution

Loon

Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 16, 2020, 06:21:21 AM
[...] spinosaurus is a weak, skinny, aquatic, flipper tailed, spined fisher that everyone says has trouble eating.[...]

When was Spinosaurus having trouble eating a thing? Or did I miss something?

CityRaptor

Probably refers to eating large Dinosaurs...despite the likes of Deinosuchus and Sarcosuchus not having such a problem. So I guess that is one those claims people who can't get over JPIII  make.
Oh no

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Loon on June 16, 2020, 08:40:57 AM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on June 16, 2020, 06:21:21 AM
[...] spinosaurus is a weak, skinny, aquatic, flipper tailed, spined fisher that everyone says has trouble eating.[...]

When was Spinosaurus having trouble eating a thing? Or did I miss something?
I was being sarcastic. Basically some people these days are saying spinosaurus was a totally weak and skinny animal. In fact, theres a couple of guys who said spino's jaw is so puny and cumbersome it sometimes broke while eating. Thats the biggest pile of Hadrosaur Feces i ever heard in a while

Halichoeres

Boy I have to say my Spino take aged poorly.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Halichoeres

Quote from: Stegotyranno on July 01, 2020, 05:22:41 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 19, 2020, 08:34:12 PM
?

I'm starting to enjoy older Spinosaurus reconstructions, only because the more I think about it the more dubious I find the new one.

Usually when the meaning of a post isn't obvious, the answer is earlier in the thread. :)
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 01, 2020, 08:23:49 PM
Quote from: Stegotyranno on July 01, 2020, 05:22:41 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on June 19, 2020, 08:34:12 PM
?

Usually when the meaning of a post isn't obvious, the answer is earlier in the thread. :)
I know but the grammar is not right/ is confusing to me

"Boy I have to say my Spino  aged poorly."
What do you mean by Spino take

Halichoeres

avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno I meant "take" in the sense of "interpretation or view, opinion or assessment; perspective" (sense 3 here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take#Noun). I'm just saying that my opinion on Spinosaurus didn't hold up well, in light of the paper on its tail anatomy that came out just a couple of weeks later.

Stegotyranno420

Quote from: Halichoeres on July 02, 2020, 11:35:21 PM
avatar_Stegotyranno420 @Stegotyranno I meant "take" in the sense of "interpretation or view, opinion or assessment; perspective" (sense 3 here: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/take#Noun). I'm just saying that my opinion on Spinosaurus didn't hold up well, in light of the paper on its tail anatomy that came out just a couple of weeks later.
I see. You see, english is not my first language

Papi-Anon

Not sure to what degree the Ballad of Big Al depictions are inaccurate, but I still imagine in my head allosauruses looking like Al did.

geo plotter
Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

CityRaptor

I think that depiction is still fairly accurate.
Oh no

Shenuday the Great

I'd like to see a figure of the compsognathus in this Burian painting

Papi-Anon

I think a fully-articulated figure of the original Sharptooth from Land Before Time and/or Littlefoot's mother (either Mattel's JW level of articulation or David Silvas' Beasts of the Mesozoic figures) would be awesome. You know what? ANY of the main characters from the original Land Before Time as figures with modern engineering and sculpting would be killer.

I know he's a nutcase with an ego, but I still adore many of David Peters's depictions of prehistoric creatures, especially the ones in the Giants book. Outdated designs from it I'd want made into figure form: "Dinichthys", "Zeuglodon", and Gigantopithecus.

Also, Garyosaurus never even got a figure (unless you count the clay figurine used for the animation).

Shapeways Store: The God-Fodder
DeviantArt: Papi-Anon
Cults3D: Papi-Anon

"They said I could be whatever I wanted to be when I evolved. So I decided to be a crocodile."
-Ambulocetus, 47.8–41.3mya

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.