News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. Ltd. - New for 2020

Started by ITdactyl, January 06, 2020, 10:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

postsaurischian

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 07, 2020, 06:50:22 PM
It seems that pachycephalosaurus, carnotaurus and tyrannosauroid have articulated jaws.

No, it doesn't.

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 07, 2020, 06:50:22 PM
Is it an imagination of mine?

Yes, it is.

Halichoeres

I'd really hoped they'd make a Kamuysaurus, but that is definitely not a hadrosaur. I think the people who guessed Iguanodon are right. Favorite rarely gets too exotic when it comes to the core Soft Model line; to my everlasting frustration, they save the interesting species for museum shops.

It does look to me like that tyrannosaur is not T. rex in particular, which would be a nice change from Favorite!
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Shonisaurus

A member of the tyrannosaurus rex family that is not a tyrannosaurus is good news for me. I love tyrannosaurus rex, but we need the representation in PVC figures of more members of that family, hopefully it is not a tyrannosaurus and is a tarbosaurus, albertosaurus or daspletosaurus to give three examples.

Loon

I'm really not into Favorite's style that much. I often find their animals to be a look very outdated and kinda ugly at times, and this year isn't much of an exception. Other than the mystery Tyrannosaur, I have better versions of all of these species. Even then, given the other species chosen, i doubt the Tyrannosaur is anything but Tyrannosaurus. I would like a tarbosaurus, but I'd prefer if Safari made it honestly.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Loon on January 10, 2020, 03:30:28 PM
I'm really not into Favorite's style that much. I often find their animals to be a look very outdated and kinda ugly at times, and this year isn't much of an exception. Other than the mystery Tyrannosaur, I have better versions of all of these species. Even then, given the other species chosen, i doubt the Tyrannosaur is anything but Tyrannosaurus. I would like a tarbosaurus, but I'd prefer if Safari made it honestly.

It might be Kazunari Araki's style in particular that you're not enjoying. Araki does almost all of their proper dinosaurs. The figures sculpted by Hirokazu Tokugawa look much more alive, in my opinion. He was behind the Tarbosaurus and Saurolophus for the Osaka Museum in 2014, the Cambrian series, the Prehistoric Life series (Archelon, Dunkleosteus, etc.), and the 2018 set of dinosaur skulls. This new batch definitely look like Araki sculpts. I hope that means that Tokugawa is working on something more interesting like a followup to the Cambrian series.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

Loon

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 10, 2020, 06:45:39 PM
It might be Kazunari Araki's style in particular that you're not enjoying. Araki does almost all of their proper dinosaurs. The figures sculpted by Hirokazu Tokugawa look much more alive, in my opinion. He was behind the Tarbosaurus and Saurolophus for the Osaka Museum in 2014, the Cambrian series, the Prehistoric Life series (Archelon, Dunkleosteus, etc.), and the 2018 set of dinosaur skulls. This new batch definitely look like Araki sculpts. I hope that means that Tokugawa is working on something more interesting like a followup to the Cambrian series.

Oh, I never saw that Tarbosaurus. That has to be one of the nicest Tyrannosaur figures out there. Now I gotta find that thing.

Sim

I didn't use to like Araki's style, but I think he's improved a lot over time.  For example the Favorite Baryonyx, Neovenator and Fukuivenator look much better than the Favorite soft model series 2 original Spinosaurus, Allosaurus and Velociraptor.  Now I tend to like Araki's style.  Out of the new Favorite figures, I'm most interested in the Carnotaurus as there isn't a version that satisfies me currently.  The shape of its horns is unusual though.  I'm also quite interested in knowing the species of the tyrannosauroid and sauropod.

ITdactyl

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres , Araki-san did produce a Kamuysaurus sculpt for last year's Dino Expo.  There's a possibility it'll turn up as a museum exclusive soft model (since the sculpt was made for the National Science Museum).

*grabbed from Araki-san's Facebook page

Araki-san's latest dinosaur sculptures make me think the 2020 soft models were based off his older work; particularly because he no longer uses the gaunt, sunken eye head sculpts.  Just a theory on my part though.
There I go again, running my mouth and shooting my foot.  Apparently, the 2020 soft model figures are new sculpts - the originals are not yet added to Araki-san's portfolio pending the official reveal by Favorite.

Halichoeres

avatar_Loon @Loon I actually think I have an extra if you're interested.

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl I'd seen that on his Twitter feed, it does look really nice and I hope it gets a wide release, even with the inevitably simplified paint job it would receive.

avatar_Sim @Sim I agree that the Neovenator and Baryonyx were better than some of his earlier pieces. For my money, of course, his best figure for Favorite was the Redondasaurus. These figures, even if not new, definitely resemble his older work. Maybe a coat of paint will reduce the effect, but as it is the Iguanodon looks like a zombie.

Loon

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres Thanks for the offer, but I actually bought one yesterday.

Mirroraptor

Mr. Kazunari Araki's sculptural style does take time to adapt. I did not like his work for a long time, until I turned my appreciation to his sculpturing shaping of muscle mass and skin texture.
Mr. Hirokazu Tokugawa has not produced a publicly available dinosaur for a long time, and a new invertebrate series may be released at this year's Wonder Festival.

Halichoeres

Quote from: Mirroraptor on January 12, 2020, 08:43:08 AM
Mr. Kazunari Araki's sculptural style does take time to adapt. I did not like his work for a long time, until I turned my appreciation to his sculpturing shaping of muscle mass and skin texture.
Mr. Hirokazu Tokugawa has not produced a publicly available dinosaur for a long time, and a new invertebrate series may be released at this year's Wonder Festival.

I hope you're right!

leidy

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 10, 2020, 06:45:39 PM
Quote from: Loon on January 10, 2020, 03:30:28 PM

Tokugawa is hugely talented and I find his work technically impressive.  But a bit sterile.

I generally find Araki's work has more dynamism and vitality, even some of the things he did back in the 1980s (although the improvements since then have been substantial).  Generally speaking I feel these sculptors have a much stronger grasp of anatomy.

Patrx

Link to Favorite Co website.

Looks like there will be six new figures added to the "Soft Model" series, planned for a Spring release date. These are unpainted prototypes. The genera weren't listed. I can readily spot Pachycephalosaurus and Carnotaurus, the other theropod (some kind of featherless tyrannosauroid?) is apparently "representing Asia".

Overall, they look neat. But they are Araki's sculpts, no doubt, and I strongly prefer Tokugawa's approach.

ITdactyl

Yep.  Those who guessed Tarbosaurus will probably get their virtual prize.

Oh, and a retro Azhdarchid, because why not.

'Might not be the most exciting designs in the world, but I'm glad these options are here.

Shonisaurus

I am excited about these revelations of Favorite Soft Model. I'm glad they made a tarbosaurus, being Asian it is more logical for Japan to make a tarbosaurus instead of a tyrannosaurus.

On the other hand, can the sauropod be an Asian species?

The one that interests me the most is the pterosaur I would like to know what the pterosaur is, I hope it is an Asian species too.

ITdactyl

Hi avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus , here's the translated post from Favorite ltd.

• The popular soft model series with easy-to-display size and high quality details.
  • There will be many types*, and this is the standard type of figure widely liked by children and adults.
  • We are currently developing six unique [species], from a large long herbivorous dinosaur to a [pterosaur] and a carnivorous dinosaur [from] Asia.
  • [These are the unpainted samples].
  • The [species] ... you [can guess by] the silhouette.
  • Six new dinosaurs will be added to the 16 species currently on sale, bringing the total to 22.
  • The prototype has been commissioned to Japan's leading dinosaur sculptor, Kazunari Araki, [to ensure] the expression of the skin and muscles [will show].
  • Genuinely [detail] oriented, [he not only handled the design] but also the poses and physical characteristics of each [species].
  • Scheduled to be released after the spring of 2020.
  • Look forward to it!

I've paraphrased everything enclosed in [] to improve the context.  I'm having trouble with the context of "there will be many types".  I think, as with the original series, they also plan to release some of these in hollow vinyl form.

I think only the Tyrannosaur is meant to be an Asian species. 

Shonisaurus

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl Thanks for the info. It will be interesting to see both its finished versions of vinyl and PVC. If the products are after spring then obviously we will have to wait.

From what dinosaurs and pterosaurs say that they represent Asia as is logical, the sauropod, carnivorous theropod and pterosaur will be Asian. That is very good news. I like all prehistoric dinosaurs and animals from all parts of the world and sincerely I am a follower of Asian prehistoric animals that are not as represented in number as prehistoric animals from other areas of the world from my humble point of view.

Halichoeres

I'm thinking Diplodocus for the sauropod? These are all probably a pass for me, I'm happier with the versions I already have.

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 07, 2020, 04:22:49 PM
I'm thinking Diplodocus for the sauropod? These are all probably a pass for me, I'm happier with the versions I already have.

According to the text that ITdactyl comments, it seems that the sauropod will be Asian.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.