News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Favorite Co. Ltd. - New for 2020

Started by ITdactyl, January 06, 2020, 10:40:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrx

I interpreted the text similarly to the way ITdactyl suggests–the tyrannosaur is an Asian taxon, the others are from any place. I do like the Pachycephalosaurus, it might be neat to have one reconstructed without "cheeks" to go with the more traditional Safari version.

Loon

That top shot makes these models look even less appealing. They look starved.

Also, if that Tyrannosaur is supposed to be Tarbosaurus, that's a major downgrade from Favorite's previous version.

SidB

Quote from: Loon on February 07, 2020, 05:19:45 PM
That top shot makes these models look even less appealing. They look starved.

Also, if that Tyrannosaur is supposed to be Tarbosaurus, that's a major downgrade from Favorite's previous version.
@ Loon. now that you've purchased the tarbo, once it gets into your possession, what do you think of the teeth/lips sculpting on this figure?

Loon

Quote from: SidB on February 07, 2020, 06:02:42 PM@ Loon. now that you've purchased the tarbo, once it gets into your possession, what do you think of the teeth/lips sculpting on this figure?

The older model? I think they look fine, I have no particular preference for theropod lips, so I can't really say much more than that.

Sim

Quote from: Halichoeres on February 07, 2020, 04:22:49 PM
I'm thinking Diplodocus for the sauropod? These are all probably a pass for me, I'm happier with the versions I already have.

I think it's either Diplodocus, Apatosaurus or Brontosaurus.  The sauropod will probably be in too small a scale for me, but I'm hoping to want the Carnotaurus, Tarbosaurus(?) and Iguanodon(?).  I'm not sure if I'll want the Pachycephalosaurus, and the pterosaur is definitely not for me as it will have a hole in its underside for the rod to fit in.  It also doesn't seem to have pycnofibers.

I'm liking this new Tarbosaurus(?) more than the older Favorite Tarbosaurus as I don't like how the older one is feathered so minimally.

ITdactyl

avatar_Shonisaurus @Shonisaurus, sorry for the confusion.  I improved the wording for the translation that is causing some confusion.  I think they really meant that only the tyrannosaur is an asian species.  So maybe the sauropod really is Diplodocus.

stargatedalek

They look terribly dated and shrink-wrapped, such a stark contrast to Favorite's spectacular non-dinosaur figures (prehistoric and otherwise).

postsaurischian

I kinda like them :)  They should offer them unpainted like this ...

SidB

Quote from: Loon on February 07, 2020, 06:08:04 PM
Quote from: SidB on February 07, 2020, 06:02:42 PM@ Loon. now that you've purchased the tarbo, once it gets into your possession, what do you think of the teeth/lips sculpting on this figure?

The older model? I think they look fine, I have no particular preference for theropod lips, so I can't really say much more than that.
It's a fine sculpt for sure, but I'd noticed how small and even the teeth were in comparison with the T-rex teeth on say, PNSO's Wilson or the Safari's feathered T-rex.

Shonisaurus

avatar_ITdactyl @ITdactyl Thank you for the clarification I had illusions that they were going to perform an Asian sauropod and pterosaur that some are as rare in their biology as those of other nations in the world.

On the other hand, the prototypes of prehistoric animals (since one is a pterosaur) from Favorite Soft Model seem very well done, in my case I do not share the criticisms. It is still too early to comment.

Patrx

Quote from: stargatedalek on February 07, 2020, 07:30:24 PM
They look terribly dated and shrink-wrapped, such a stark contrast to Favorite's spectacular non-dinosaur figures (prehistoric and otherwise).

Yeah, unfortunately Araki hasn't shaken that habit yet. Check out the fenestrae in the photo Postsaurischian shared, really pronounced and, in my opinion, unpleasant. Tokugawa's sculpts are much nicer in that regard–if this new tyrannosaur is a Tarbosaurus, which seems likely, it'll be interesting to compare the two. Tokugawa's is probably my favorite tyrannosaur model; the scales are outsized, but it's not shrinkwrapped, stands nicely, and even has lips.

Sim

avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian, wow, where is that photo from?  Is there also one of the other three dinosaurs?

postsaurischian

Quote from: Sim on February 07, 2020, 08:51:03 PM
avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian, wow, where is that photo from?  Is there also one of the other three dinosaurs?

It's from Favorite's Journal page: https://f-favorite.net/blogs/journal

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Oh, they're much bigger than I thought they were
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

I look forward to seeing the colour schemes of the new Favorite soft model figures. :)  Thanks for the link avatar_postsaurischian @postsaurischian!  I guess those are large vinyl figures, but I'd say it's almost certain the ornithopod is Iguanodon after seeing the photo below.

postsaurischian

..... and a Quetzalcoatlus in that size isn't bad :) .

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Maybe if it had a bit more flesh on it...
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

I'm thinking the sauropod will work well in this larger size, it might end up being around 1:40 scale.  It's tempting me since I don't want figures in a smaller scale than 1:40.  Although am I right in thinking Favorite's vinyl figures are actually soft, in the sense that they can be squeezed?  I'm not sure how I feel about having a figure like that.  Does Favorite's vinyl figures have a hole underneath or anything similar?

PhilSauria

I have a couple of the large squeezable figures, a Triceratops and Plesiosaurus, and can confirm that they do have a hole underneath. I don't mind them and will definitely be seeking out these new ones - especially the Sauropod. Can't have enough large Sauropods around the house!

stargatedalek

Quote from: Sim on February 07, 2020, 10:09:25 PM
I'm thinking the sauropod will work well in this larger size, it might end up being around 1:40 scale.  It's tempting me since I don't want figures in a smaller scale than 1:40.  Although am I right in thinking Favorite's vinyl figures are actually soft, in the sense that they can be squeezed?  I'm not sure how I feel about having a figure like that.  Does Favorite's vinyl figures have a hole underneath or anything similar?
They are "soft", but not soft like rubber. They are still quite rigid and sturdy, you can't stretch or bend them for example. I have some of the modern animals in vinyl and there is a very small, well hidden hole. Otherwise they would not reinflate themselves as easily when compressed, which could make them warp more easily or lead to other QC concerns. Don't worry, they are no more distracting or obvious than the usual printing on a figures underside.

I'm have to see Quetzalcoatlus painted, but I may be getting that sauropod vinyl. Could go nice with the big Dinosaur King ones...

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.