News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Updating forum icons

Started by Sim, January 06, 2020, 07:17:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Loon on January 06, 2020, 04:29:26 PM
[...]
On a related note, I wonder if the icons for the sub-forums could be updated as well. As I don't think there's a figure used that's more recent than 2013.

If it's possible I would like to see some of those icons updated.  Currently there's no thyreophoran represented, while Pachycephalosaurus is used twice.  Personally I'd like to see the Jurassic Park Velociraptor replaced with the Safari 2017 Velociraptor.  Photos of it can be found here: https://partners.safariltd.com/safari-ltd/wild-safari-prehistoric-world/feathered-velociraptor-100032

Edit: Since it was requested I've added to this post the list of figures used for each board.  I have to say I don't like the choice of a skeleton for one of the icons.  The Velociraptor icon is the Creative Beast Velociraptor resin kit.

Quote from: Loon on January 09, 2020, 10:54:50 PM
Alright, as avatar_suspsy @suspsy suggested here is the final list from me. I took some of the suggestions I liked, but ultimately, I wanted to represent the most diverse assortment of companies and species possible. This may be the Dino Toy Forum, but I didn't want a list dominated by just dinosaurs or a few major companies.

Dinosaur collectibles
Dinosaur toys (general) - Safari Feathered Tyrannosaurus
Dinosaur toy lines - BOTM Velociraptor
Dinosaur kits - Black Horse Stygimoloch
Dinosaur groups - Mojo Triceratops (2019)
Collections - CollectA Caiuajara
Classifieds - Eofauna Deinotherium

Dinosaurs and palaeontology
Dinosaurs and palaeontology - Kaiyodo Dino Tales Juvenile Parasaurolophus
In the news - Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo
Books, film, and other media - Mattel Brachiosaurus
Museums, theme parks, and other places - Doris the Pliosaurus

Dinosaur art
Dinosaur art - Paleo-Creatures Atopodentatus
Dioramas - Papo Spinosaurus (2019)
Customised figures - Rebor Stegosaurus

General category
General - PNSO Himalayasaurus
Other toys and collectibles - LEGO Ideas Pteranodon Skeleton
Games - Vitae Zhejiangosaurus

Members
New members - Paleozoo Pikaia
Members' board - Takara Tomy Neanderthal

Administration
Reviewers board - Schleich Dinogorgon
Forum and blog business - Recur Dunkleosteus
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contests - Favorite Co. Mosasaurus

Loon

I have a couple of ideas for new icons:

Museums, theme parks, and other places  - Doris the Pliosaurus

Ravonium

Quote from: Sim on January 06, 2020, 07:17:14 PM
Quote from: Loon on January 06, 2020, 04:29:26 PM
[...]
On a related note, I wonder if the icons for the sub-forums could be updated as well. As I don't think there's a figure used that's more recent than 2013.

If it's possible I would like to see some of those icons updated.  Currently there's no thyreophoran represented, while Pachycephalosaurus is used twice.  Personally I'd like to see the Jurassic Park Velociraptor replaced with the Safari 2017 Velociraptor.  Photos of it can be found here: https://partners.safariltd.com/safari-ltd/wild-safari-prehistoric-world/feathered-velociraptor-100032

This is something I have thought about suggesting in the past, so I third this.

Also, avatar_Loon @Loon, the CollectA Deluxe Therizinosaurus was released in 2014, so that counts as something more recent than 2013; that was still 6 years ago though, so that doesn't change the fact that the icons are, for lack of a better term, 'outdated' ;)

Quote from: Loon on January 06, 2020, 07:25:29 PM
I have a couple of ideas for new icons:

Museums, theme parks, and other places  - Doris the Pliosaurus

I like how the figures you've chosen are linked to the theme of the boards. For 'Dinosaurs and paleontology', I'd recommend the Eofauna Giganotosaurus to be consistent with this.

Loon

avatar_Ravonium @Ravonium oh, I'm not terribly familiar with CollectA History. I was mostly basing my estimate on the WWD Troodon  and the Safari Ceratosaurus.

I like your Eofauna suggestion. This maybe isn't as"thematically appropriate" as my other ideas, bit I suggest a Beasts of the Mesozoic figure for the "In the news" section, maybe the original Velociraptor. As that line has received some of the best media coverage of any dinosaur line.

Tyto_Theropod

avatar_Sim @Sim, I agree on the Safari 2017b Velociraptor.  Definitely one of the best Dromaeosaurid toys, if not Theropod toys full stop, out there.  I for one would love to see it get the spotlight on one of the icons.
UPDATE - Where've I been, my other hobbies, and how to navigate my Flickr:
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9277.msg280559#msg280559
______________________________________________________________________________________
Flickr for crafts and models: https://www.flickr.com/photos/162561992@N05/
Flickr for wildlife photos: Link to be added
Twitter: @MaudScientist

Killekor

If it was for me, I would modify in this way the forum icons:

Dinosaur collectibles:
- Dinosaur toys: general: The "Classic" T-Rex, maybe the Safari feathered one.
- Dinosaur toy lines: REBOR's Stegosaurus or Eofauna's Atlasaurus should work quite well. In any case I would not choose any model from the "big" brands (for ex. Safari, Schleich, CollectA, Mojo etc...)
- Dinosaur kits: naturally this board needs a resin kit to represent it, although I'm not sure which one to choose because I don't usually collect that type of models. Maybe the Urzeitshop exclusive Microraptor?
- Dinosaur groups: I would personally choose a non usual dinosaur group (ex. Tyrannosaurs, dromaeosaurs etc...) my own choice would probably be for the Carnegie Tanystropheus or for the Dawn of the Dinosaurs Saurosuchus. Another choice to consider could be (again) the Eofauna Atlasaurus.
- Collections: any kind of figure can suit well to this category.
- Classifieds: I would personally choose a rare figure among collectors, to symbolize a figure that can be found there (if you're lucky). I would like to see in it or the Toyway WWD Ornithocheirus or the Battat Diplodocus.

Dinosaurs and paleontology:
- Dinosaurs and paleontology: You'll probably not agree with me, but in my opinion any of the "modern" Spinosaurus figures (I would choose the Papo one) are perfect for this board's icon. Spinosaurus (for me) is the dinosaur-symbol of the change of paleontology over the years. As far as I know it's the only dinosaur that changed so many times radically the way it's represented over just the time of a century. I would love to see a Spinosaurus as the icon of this board, but if not the Safari Deinocheirus is a good choice too.
- In the news: again, the Safari Deinocheirus is a good choice, but I would also consider the CollectA Badajasaurus of the Kayodo Expo Yi Qi.
- Books, film and other media: I would choose JP/JW inspired figure for this board. The Mattel models are certainly to consider, but I would like to suggest also the Papo or REBOR Compy, the REBOR Dilophosaurus or (my personal favorite for this board) the Namnu Indominus.
- Museums, theme parks and other places: Doris the Pliosaurus is a nice choice, as suggested by other members, but I personally prefear some Carnegie models (in particular the 2008 "Dippy" Diplodocus) over it.

Dinosaur art:
For this set of boards I suggest to choose models made by members of this forum and shown in our threads. I find that a better choice that using original figures from brands. I know that in these boards over all the others the personal tastes makes the difference, but can I say that I'll like to see one of Archinto's sculptures and one of Fenestra's repaints in them?

For all the other boards I have no suggestions to make but that in the "other toys and collectibles board" I'll like to see a Godzilla figure.

What do you think of my ideas? Do you like them? And avatar_DinoToyForum @dinotoyforum do you think that the icons should be changed?

Killekor

Edit: I don't know why but it appears a big empty space in the middle of my post.
Bigger than a camarasaurus,
and with a bite more stronger that the T-Rex bite,
Ticamasaurus is certainly the king of the Jurassic period.

With Balaur feet, dromaeosaurus bite, microraptor wings, and a terrible poison, the Deinoraptor Dromaeonychus is a lethal enemy for the most ferocious hybrid too.

My Repaints Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5104.0

My Art And Sculptures Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5170

My Dioramas Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5195.0

My Collection Thread: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=5438

DinoToyForum

Yes, I'm happy for the icons to be updated!

But it would really help me if someone could generate them for me. O:-) Once we've agreed on a list I can provide file specifications...

Patrx

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 07, 2020, 08:55:47 PM

But it would really help me if someone could generate them for me. O:-) Once we've agreed on a list I can provide file specifications...

Heck, I could do that. I work with graphics a lot.

DinoToyForum

Quote from: Patrx on January 07, 2020, 09:11:37 PM
Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 07, 2020, 08:55:47 PM

Heck, I could do that. I work with graphics a lot.

Done! Thanks ^-^  8)

So, we just need to settle on the dinos...

Ravonium

Quote from: dinotoyforum on January 07, 2020, 09:15:12 PM
So, we just need to settle on the dinos...

...And judging by the replies so far, that will be by far the hardest part of this  O:-)

Loon

Quote from: Killekor on January 07, 2020, 08:53:19 PM
For all the other boards I have no suggestions to make but that in the "other toys and collectibles board" I'll like to see a Godzilla figure.

God, no Godzilla please.

Here's my list of what could work, I tried to pick a diverse array of companies and animals:

Dinosaur collectibles
Dinosaur toys (general) - Safari Feathered Tyrannosaurus
Dinosaur toy lines - CollectA Elasmotherium
Dinosaur kits - Shane Foulkes Stygimoloch
Dinosaur groups - CollectA Caiuajara
Collections -  Mojo Mandschurosaurus
Classifieds - Nanmu Spinosaurus

Dinosaurs and palaeontology - Favorite Archaeopteryx
In the news - Safari Yutyrannus

Dinosaur art
Dinosaur art - Paleo-Creatures Pakicetus
Dioramas - Wild Past Protoceratops
Customised figures - Recur Dunkleosteus

General category
General - Eofauna Deinotherium
Other toys and collectibles - PNSO Ankylosaurus
Games - Dinosaurs in the Wild Dakotaraptor

Members
Members' board - BOTM Velociraptor

Administration
Reviewers board - Schleich Psittacosaurus
Forum and blog business - Rebor Stegosaurus
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contests - Papo Pentaceratops (in honor of last year's winner)

Syndicate Bias

I'd prefer if Dinosaur Toys (General) had the Eofauna Giganotosaurus instead with all due respect to the Feathered Rex.

Loon

Quote from: Syndicate Bias on January 07, 2020, 10:42:21 PM
I'd prefer if Dinosaur Toys (General) had the Eofauna Giganotosaurus instead with all due respect to the Feathered Rex.

The Safari rex is one of the most iconic figures of the last decade, so I figured it should be at the top. The Eofauna figures great, but i don't feel it belongs there.

Sim

Quote from: Loon on January 07, 2020, 09:29:56 PM
God, no Godzilla please.

I agree with you on that avatar_Loon @Loon.  Also please no Indominus either.  Personally, I'd also like it if only toys were chosen for the icons, just like it is now.  It's the Dinosaur Toy Forum after all, and I find the icons all being toys makes each board more approachable... if that makes sense.  Some other thoughts I have:

1. I'd like the Safari Elasmosaurus to stay as one of the icons.

2. I'd like a good figure of Velociraptor as one of the icons.  I'd be happy for it to be the Safari 2017 Velociraptor, but I'd be okay with the original BOTM Velociraptor mongoliensis.  HOwever, I don't want Velociraptor to be used for the members' board as that means it would only be visible if one is logged in.  I say save that for a less popular figure.

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on January 07, 2020, 10:49:19 PM
Quote from: Syndicate Bias on January 07, 2020, 10:42:21 PM

The Safari rex is one of the most iconic figures of the last decade, so I figured it should be at the top. The Eofauna figures great, but i don't feel it belongs there.

I too think either the Safari T. rex or some other T. rex should be the icon for Dinosaur Toys (General). I know, you're all shocked.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Loon

New list below.

suspsy

Quote from: Loon on January 08, 2020, 12:55:32 AM
Here's an updated list taking into account your suggestions. I updated it to increase the diversity of both companies (that I could think of) and animals.

Dinosaur collectibles
Dinosaur toys (general) - Kaiyodo Sofubi Tyrannosaurus
Dinosaur kits - Black Horse Stygimoloch
Dinosaur groups - CollectA Caiuajara
Collections - Favorite Co. Spinosaurus (2018)

Dinosaurs and palaeontology - Lego Ideas Pteranodon Skeleton
In the news - Vitae Zhejiangosaurus

Dinosaur art
Dinosaur art - Paleo-Creatures Pakicetus
Dioramas - Wild Past Protoceratops

General category
General - Nanmu Carnotaurus
Other toys and collectibles - Rebor Stegosaurus
Games - Mojo Mandschurosaurus

Members

Administration
Forum and blog business - PNSO Opthalmosaurus (Large)
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contests - Papo Pentaceratops

I like it.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Loon

I updated the list again, sorry. I added Southlands Replicas and Safari (I'll never forgive myself for forgetting them), and some other stuff. So, here's the final (for now) updated list:
Dinosaur collectibles
Dinosaur toys (general) - Kaiyodo Sofubi Tyrannosaurus
Dinosaur kits - Lego Ideas Pteranodon Skeleton
Dinosaur groups - Safari Ltd. Triceratops
Collections - CollectA Caiuajara

Dinosaurs and palaeontology - Vitae Zhejiangosaurus
In the news - Southlands Replicas Thylacoleo

Dinosaur art
Dinosaur art - Wild Past Protoceratops
Dioramas - Papo Spinosaurus (2019)

General category
General - Nanmu Carnotaurus
Other toys and collectibles - Rebor Stegosaurus
Games - Mojo Mandschurosaurus

Members

Administration
Forum and blog business - PNSO Opthalmosaurus (Large)
Dinosaur Toy Forum diorama contests - Favorite Co. Fukuisaurus

Takama

I like the idea of the Other toys and Collectibles section being iconed by a rebor product.

But how about we drive the point a little further by makeing the icon there X-rex instead of Stegosaurus?     

stargatedalek

Why not REBOR's Komodo Dragon?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.