News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What are you still waiting on the definitive version of?

Started by Ravonium, January 12, 2020, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sim

Quote from: Takama on January 14, 2020, 01:43:54 AM
Heterodontosaurus

I listed it in my three Wishes for Safaris Ideas for 2021.

And its not going to happen

There was only one Heterodontosaurus toy in Exsitance

The Green one from Inpro

avatar_Takama @Takama, there's also the Transmutazors Heterodontosaurus: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6848.msg209776#msg209776

And according to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres there's also a Simba Dinoz Heterodontosaurus.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Faelrin on January 14, 2020, 05:34:05 AM
I also agree that Megalosaurus really needs a new figure after all this time. To be honest what even happened to this one anyways? Poor thing was the first dinosaur named, and was one of the first discovered and it isn't like I hear it mentioned much as it is, and I can't even recall this thing being anywhere in pop culture either. And if it is because it is fragmentary that clearly hasn't stopped many other genera from getting figures.

Maybe there are some things you just cant live down...

Halichoeres

Quote from: Sim on January 14, 2020, 03:43:26 PM
Quote from: Takama on January 14, 2020, 01:43:54 AM
Heterodontosaurus

I listed it in my three Wishes for Safaris Ideas for 2021.

And its not going to happen

There was only one Heterodontosaurus toy in Exsitance

The Green one from Inpro

avatar_Takama @Takama, there's also the Transmutazors Heterodontosaurus: http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6848.msg209776#msg209776

And according to avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres there's also a Simba Dinoz Heterodontosaurus.

Correct. It's atrocious. Inpro is still the best, but what a low bar.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Silvanusaurus

I really need a definitive Rhynchosaur figure. Seems like something CollectA ought to get round to...

Sim

avatar_Halichoeres @Halichoeres, funnily enough when I was little I had both the Transmutazors Heterodontosaurus and the Inpro one or a figure with the same mold as the Inpro.  I feel the Transmutazors Heterodontosaurus is better than the Inpro version which has always looked weird to me with its ears.

Shonisaurus

From my point of view we need a definitive version of the lambeosaurus, the versions of Collecta, Invicta and Bullyland do not convince me yet.

suspsy

Quote from: Shonisaurus on January 18, 2020, 10:48:46 AM
From my point of view we need a definitive version of the lambeosaurus, the versions of Collecta, Invicta and Bullyland do not convince me yet.

I'll second that one. Corythosaurus as well.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Georassic

Centrosaurus. Is there not a decent, affordable (like under $20US) Centrosaurus figure anywhere in the 1:20 to 1:60 range? The animal is namesake to a whole branch of ceratopsians, and well-known from the fossil record. Yet no Centrosaurus from Safari, Collecta, Kaiyodo, Papo et al. Instead, we have endless revisitations of the same couple pop-culture species (Triceratops, Styracosaurus...) and a range of ceratopsian figures known from far lesser remains.

My rare rant is over.  :D

PrimevalRaptor

There's quite a few animals that still need a definite version, so I'll cut it down to my top three (thankfully since Safari delivered for Velociraptor and Deinonychus):
Spinosaurus (Though we should keep this until we got some more complete fossils ideally and I gotta admit we got some quite amazing models already like Papo, Schleich (to think I'd say that) or the PNSO one, but none screams "This one is perfect!" to me)
Megalosaurus (Come on, such an important genus and we got no modern models? The Invicta one is great but inaccurate.)
Plateosaurus (It's probably the best known German dinosaur and we got a ton of fossils on it, the Schleich and quadrupedal Bullyland version are my favorites, especially the Bullyland one, but a large up-to-date model would be heaven, that's why I recommended it to Safari for their 2021 suggestions)

Dinoxels

I just need an Appalachiosaurus and Koolasuchus and all will be fine for me. More Hadrosaurs would be cool too.
Most (if not all) Rebor figures are mid

Duna

I'll go for the classic dinos (the ones in my collection wishlist) as Hypsilophodon, Heterodontosaurus, Corythosaurus, Lambeosaurus, Tsintaosaurus, Ouranosaurus, Muttaburrasaurus, Tenontosaurus, Scelidosaurus, Plateosaurus, Polacanthus, Kentrosaurus, Torosaurus (why!), Albertosaurus and Placerias.

And the ones that have a lot of figures, neither of them satisfying: Oviraptor, Cryolophosaurus and Protoceratops (yes, Collecta is too big and WP is too small).

Shonisaurus

Quote from: Georassic on January 18, 2020, 11:08:56 PM
Centrosaurus. Is there not a decent, affordable (like under $20US) Centrosaurus figure anywhere in the 1:20 to 1:60 range? The animal is namesake to a whole branch of ceratopsians, and well-known from the fossil record. Yet no Centrosaurus from Safari, Collecta, Kaiyodo, Papo et al. Instead, we have endless revisitations of the same couple pop-culture species (Triceratops, Styracosaurus...) and a range of ceratopsian figures known from far lesser remains.

My rare rant is over.  :D

Totally agree with you it is very sad that a dinosaur so complete in relation to bone remains from the paleontological point of view and so well known does not have sufficient representation in the main brands of toy dinosaurs and PVC collection.

Syndicate Bias

I want a Plateosaurus that's amazing. Other than that a decently priced Mapusaurus that isn't a an expensive resin kit since lately that's been the only way I can hope to get any definitive version like the Carcha and Concavenator.

Loon

I feel like smilodon, or really any sabre toothed cats, need some better figures. I think the Safari smilodon is a really good model; but, maybe it's just me, I feel it's a little cartoonish looking. No Smilidon, not even the recent CollectA version, manages to look like a real feline.

Halichoeres

On Centrosaurus, Spinops is nearly indistinguishable and may one day be synonymized. But it is really odd that none of the big companies has bothered to make one. I guess Styracosaurus just wins on spikiness.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Georassic

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 19, 2020, 06:14:10 PM
On Centrosaurus, Spinops is nearly indistinguishable and may one day be synonymized. But it is really odd that none of the big companies has bothered to make one. I guess Styracosaurus just wins on spikiness.
And for all my griping, Styracosaurus has always been my favorite ceratopsian. :D

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Only including animals that have at least one figure released:
Protoceratops
Maiasaura
Baryonyx
Heterodontosaurus
Utahraptor
Eustreptospondylus
Smilodon
Megatherium
Albertosaurus
Leaellynasaura
Megaloceras
Great Auk
Chasmosaurus
Stenonychosaurus
Lambeosaurus
Corythosaurus
Andrewsarchus
Basilosaurus
Europasaurus
Hatzegopteryx
Merck's rhino (I think there is one?)
Moschops
Crylophosaurus
Gigantoraptor
Tsintaosaurus
Therizinosaurus
Nothronychus
Mononykus
Carcharodontosaurus
Ouranosaurus
Torosaurus
Tuojiangosaurus
Muttaburrasaurus
Tullymonstrum
Torvosaurus
Ceratosaurus
Epidexipteryx
Machairodus (if there even is one?)
European Bison/Wisent (not extinct yet I know but Pleistocine)
Ramphorynchus
Gallimimus
Struthiomimus
Apatosaurus
And somewhere to put everything
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Sim

Welcome back avatar_Gothmog the Baryonyx @Gothmog the Baryonyx! :)

As for the topic of this thread, it's kind of funny how Centrosaurus and Chasmosaurus haven't gotten a good version, when they are the name bearer of the two main groups of ceratopsids.  Of course, close relatives of theirs have gotten good models.  Some other prehistoric animal groups don't even have one good model version, e.g. rhamphorhynchids.

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Thank you Sim!

I suppose, by which you probably know to mean 'i know', that certain popular groups of animals sell well and that leads to them being done again.
Can't believe I forgot Centrosaurus myself, but unlike Chasmosaurus which I loved when I was on a kid, Centrosaurus never had the same 'umph' with me.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Gwangi

A Centrosaurus is something I've been waiting a long time for. One of my favorite ceratopsians, in part due to the Monoclonius in Prehistoric Beast. Chasmosaurus too but also Pentaceratops (not a fan of the Schleich or Papo). Get on it Doug Watson!

I agree with the Apatosaurus. A lot of good ones out there, no definitive version. But I suppose there aren't definitive versions for most genera, not really. Another idea for a thread I suppose, those that have a definitive version.

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.