News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

What are you still waiting on the definitive version of?

Started by Ravonium, January 12, 2020, 07:58:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John

Yes,a Centrosaurus apertus would be nice to see. :D
Don't you hate it when you legitimately compliment someone's mustache and she gets angry with you?

BlueKrono

There is an excellent resin Lambeosaurus on eBay right now with the updated rounded crest and the wonderful Ouranosaurus by Max Salas, but these are unattainable to most of the general public.

I second Dinoxels on the Koolasuchus even though there is also a fine resin one, but what I'd really like to see is a good Diplocaulus. To be fair, the Play Vision and COG ones are good, but larger size please!
We are accustomed to look upon the shackled form of a conquered monster, but there - there you could look at a thing monstrous and free." - King Kong, 2005

brontosauruschuck

Is there a 'Does anyone make this animal?' thread? I'm not sure if I should post here or there.

Shonisaurus

An ambulocetus, please pray that a toy / collectibles brand will do in some future.

Sim

Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 19, 2020, 11:22:07 PM
Thank you Sim!

I suppose, by which you probably know to mean 'i know', that certain popular groups of animals sell well and that leads to them being done again.
Can't believe I forgot Centrosaurus myself, but unlike Chasmosaurus which I loved when I was on a kid, Centrosaurus never had the same 'umph' with me.

The Wild Safari Rhamphorhynchus seems to sell well even though it's outdated, so I'm hoping Safari will make a new Rhamphorhynchus that's accurate.

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on January 20, 2020, 09:04:49 AM
Is there a 'Does anyone make this animal?' thread? I'm not sure if I should post here or there.

B @brontosauruschuck, I'm not aware of a thread like that existing.

suspsy

I'd also like to see someone churn out an up-to-date Deinosuchus with a correct skull and correct osteoderms. Both the Carnegie and Recur ones are basically just crocodiles.
IMG_0123 by Suspsy Three, on Flickr

Shonisaurus

Quote from: suspsy on January 20, 2020, 04:41:14 PM
I'd also like to see someone churn out an up-to-date Deinosuchus with a correct skull and correct osteoderms. Both the Carnegie and Recur ones are basically just crocodiles.

Likewise, Rebor deinosuchus can meet your expectations when it is available in online sales presumably this year (hopefully not wrong).

Faelrin

Come to think of it, an updated Tupandactylus (or perhaps an actual Tapejara instead) from Safari Ltd would be nice too, aside from the Rhamphorhynchus. I don't think there's any modern figures on this available currently (aka no shrinkwrapping, etc)? And speaking of pterosaurs, I'd like to see CollectA do a new Hatzegopteryx, as their current figure is outdated and doesn't quite capture the updated proportions (particularly the head), aside from the shrinkwrapping it also has.

I agree that it would be nice to see a new Deinosuchus from Safari Ltd as well, as their Sarcosuchus seems very lovely (in addition to their Kaprosuchus). I think Purussaurus is another that could use a figure too.
Film Accurate Mattel JW and JP toys list (incl. extended canon species, etc):
http://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=6702

Every Single Mainline Mattel Jurassic World Species A-Z; 2024 toys added!:
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9974.0

Most produced Paleozoic genera (visual encyclopedia):
https://dinotoyblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=9144.0

Halichoeres

B @brontosauruschuck my collection thread has a list of almost all of the Mesozoic and Paleozoic animals that have been made as toys. I've thought about updating the list (if not my collection) with Cenozoic animals, although it would be roughly 40% Yowie figures.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Gothmog the Baryonyx

Quote from: Sim on January 20, 2020, 03:43:51 PM
Quote from: Gothmog the Baryonyx on January 19, 2020, 11:22:07 PM
Thank you Sim!

I suppose, by which you probably know to mean 'i know', that certain popular groups of animals sell well and that leads to them being done again.
Can't believe I forgot Centrosaurus myself, but unlike Chasmosaurus which I loved when I was on a kid, Centrosaurus never had the same 'umph' with me.

The Wild Safari Rhamphorhynchus seems to sell well even though it's outdated, so I'm hoping Safari will make a new Rhamphorhynchus that's accurate.
A new and accurate Rhamphorynchus (or one of it's closest relatives) would be an excellent choice agree. It is one of the four main pterosaurs of my childhood, along with Pteranodon, Dimorphodon and Quetzalcoatlus which all have at least one decent figure unlike poor Rhamphorhynchus.
Megalosaurus, Iguanodon, Archaeopteryx, Cetiosaurus, Compsognathus, Hadrosaurus, Brontosaurus, Tyrannosaurus, Triceratops, Albertosaurus, Herrerasaurus, Stenonychosaurus, Deinonychus, Maiasaura, Carnotaurus, Baryonyx, Argentinosaurus, Sinosauropteryx, Microraptor, Citipati, Mei, Tianyulong, Kulindadromeus, Zhenyuanlong, Yutyrannus, Borealopelta, Caihong

Justin_

I'd like any well-known sauropod like a Diplodocus or Apaptosaurus that manages to look genuinely massive at a small size, the way the old Invicta Diplodocus does. I find something doesn't quite work with most Sauropod figures, although the Eofuana Atlasaurus is one exception.

Shonisaurus

I expect a definitive version of the xiphactinus collecting toy, there aren't many large figures (I don't know any) of that "hell aquarium" fish metaphorically speaking.

brontosauruschuck

Quote from: Halichoeres on January 20, 2020, 07:08:22 PM

B @brontosauruschuck my collection thread has a list of almost all of the Mesozoic and Paleozoic animals that have been made as toys. I've thought about updating the list (if not my collection) with Cenozoic animals, although it would be roughly 40% Yowie figures.

That thread is really fun. Thank you so much for putting all that together!

Halichoeres

Quote from: brontosauruschuck on January 23, 2020, 05:33:34 AM
Quote from: Halichoeres on January 20, 2020, 07:08:22 PM

That thread is really fun. Thank you so much for putting all that together!

My pleasure! I hope it will be useful.

On another note, I would like to see updated versions of the Permian and Triassic animals that companies used to make. For example, Sphenacodon (Marx, Linde, Chialu), Cynognathus (Marx, Starlux, Panini), and Moschops (Marx again, Tootsie Toy, Playskool).
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures

Leyster

A good Acrocanthosaurus would be nice, it was made by many brands recently, but I still have to find a perfect one. Please, Safari or Eofauna!

Also a Yangchuanosaurus with correct proportions based on CV00216 (the adult one)... instead of  CV00215 (a subadult), on wich everyone seems to base Yangchuanosaurus on.
"Dinosaurs lived sixty five million years ago. What is left of them is fossilized in the rocks, and it is in the rock that real scientists make real discoveries. Now what John Hammond and InGen did at Jurassic Park is create genetically engineered theme park monsters, nothing more and nothing less."

Concavenator

I'm aware that the vast majority of dinosaurs don't have a single figure (let alone good or bad). But there are some dinosaurs that are very important in the history of paleontology that have little to no figures (or no good figures). To put an example, the first serious reconstruction of Deononychus is the new 2020 Safari figure. What about:

Megalosaurus (the first dinosaur ever discovered)
Centrosaurus and Chasmosaurus, the two dinosaurs that give the two main ceratopsidae branchs their names, have lesser figures than, say, Diabloceratops and Pachyrhinosaurus
Anchiornis I'm surprised there is still no figure of this creature by any of the major brands, despite being so well known and the fact that its colours are known
Utahraptor, the largest dromaeosaur known.

Sim

Another dinosaur I'm waiting for the definitive version of is Daspletosaurus torosus.

Loon

I would really like a figure of Mesosaurus. Given its importance outside of paleontology. Also, because it was one of the few prehistoric animals I remember actually learning about in school.

Gwangi

We've gotten quite a few Baryonyx lately but still nothing that I would consider definitive.

Silvanusaurus

Quote from: Gwangi on February 03, 2020, 08:09:13 PM
We've gotten quite a few Baryonyx lately but still nothing that I would consider definitive.

avatar_Gwangi @Gwangi what would you say is needed, or has previously been lacking, for it to be the definitive Baryonyx?

Support the Dinosaur Toy Forum by making dino-purchases through these links to Ebay and Amazon. Disclaimer: these links are affiliate links, so when you make purchases through them we may make a commission.