News:

Poll time! Cast your votes for the best stegosaur toys, the best ceratopsoid toys (excluding Triceratops), and the best allosauroid toys (excluding Allosaurus) of all time! Some of the polls have been reset to include some recent releases, so please vote again, even if you voted previously.

Main Menu

Disclaimer: links to Ebay.com and Amazon.com on the Dinosaur Toy Forum are often affiliate links, when you make purchases through these links we may make a commission.

Paleozoo - new for 2020

Started by Halichoeres, February 08, 2020, 07:29:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Martwad

avatar_Paleozoo @Paleozoo , I assume these are only available to order directly from your site?  It's not a problem, but if there is an alternative in the States to save on shipping, I would like to know before I placed an order.

Paleozoo

Hi Martwad,

Yes all models are only available through the Paleozoo website. I have long given up on using external shops or bureau services.

There are a number of reasons for this but mainly it's because all Paleozoo models undergo at least some amount of post-processing and detailing. There are also a number of models that are assembled from different material parts that are sourced from different suppliers.

Best regards

Paleozoo

Re-release of Wiwaxia corrugata.

This has been substantively rebuilt following detailed feedback from Dr Jean-Bernard Caron of the Royal Ontario Museum, Canada.

SBell

I should ask avatar_Paleozoo @Paleozoo if you would ever make smaller versions of some of your big models? I am thinking of the Tiktaalik and lobe fin, which I have. But a smaller version might be nice too! Might scale with more traditional figures that way (1:20 and 1:40 being of course the most common)

bmathison1972

Quote from: SBell on August 09, 2020, 07:50:46 PM
I should ask avatar_Paleozoo @Paleozoo if you would ever make smaller versions of some of your big models? I am thinking of the Tiktaalik and lobe fin, which I have. But a smaller version might be nice too! Might scale with more traditional figures that way (1:20 and 1:40 being of course the most common)

I would get a lot more Paleozoo if they were smaller

Paleozoo

Hi,

I'd like to make smaller/cheaper models but the problem is that 3D print lines start to become too noticeable below a certain size - even with the very best full-colour techniques available - and fine model detailing also becomes too fragile.

I'm always trying to find the balance - or sweet spot - where models are big enough to avoid these problems but also not too big as to become prohibitively expensive. Overwhelmingly 3D printing costs are based on volumes of material used - this means that as models become larger, with the volumes increasing exponentially, so do the prices.

It's a pretty difficult balancing act.

Bruce Currie
Paleozoo

bmathison1972

Quote from: Paleozoo on August 11, 2020, 04:35:14 AM
Hi,

I'd like to make smaller/cheaper models but the problem is that 3D print lines start to become too noticeable below a certain size - even with the very best full-colour techniques available - and fine model detailing also becomes too fragile.

I'm always trying to find the balance - or sweet spot - where models are big enough to avoid these problems but also not too big as to become prohibitively expensive. Overwhelmingly 3D printing costs are based on volumes of material used - this means that as models become larger, with the volumes increasing exponentially, so do the prices.

It's a pretty difficult balancing act.

Bruce Currie
Paleozoo

Thank you for the explanation, Bruce!

Halichoeres

Thanks for the update, Bruce! I'll change the top post in the thread to your new image.
In the kingdom of the blind, better take public transit. Well, in the kingdom of the sighted, too, really--almost everyone is a terrible driver.

My attempt to find the best toy of every species

My trade/sale/wishlist thread

Sometimes I draw pictures